[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Is soccer bashing still cool?

bconngemini

Enough of this nonsense. You either like soccer or you don't right from the git go. There is no "learning to like" soccer. No in between. You either do or don't. Has nothing to do with watching a soccer match for the first time and thinking..."wonder what everyone will think of me if I like it". Just doesn't work that way.

So either get with it or don't. And from the sound of your past...you are in the don't area. So move on to something that will allow others to accept you.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't know of him, but hockey was invented as an offshoot of soccer. No wonder Europeans like hockey. Similar game mechanics, similar game rules, similar scoring...etc

Pretty sure this thread is done now. You obviously have no clue what hockey is. Hockey= 5 on 5, change on the fly, quick attacking. Soccer= 11 on 11, only 3 substitutions allowed, very slow and systematic attacking set up. The two games couldn't be any further from each other besides the fact there is a net at each end and the object is to score. Hockey seems to be similar to basketball in that sense.

Yeah, exactly. No hitting, no contact, same size goal, they use a ball, and it's very low scoring. You're right on the money. :wacko:

Two of my boys play fairly extensive hockey and quite frankly I am a pretty obsessed hockey fans these days, youth and professional but I also enjoy soccer as I feel it has similar attributes to hockey and even basketball, same principals applying. All are physically demanding sports nad believe it or not soccer can be very physical. No there isn't checking but there is plenty of contact similar to basketball.

Hockey is currently my favorite sport right now but I enjoy watching my 10 year old play soccer and my 7 year old play when he's not wrapped up in hockey and baseball although his soccer days may be done as football, baseball, and hockey will over take soccer for him as he can play football next year.

Now mind you the rush I get from watching the 7 year old play hockey does out-weigh the soccer games I watch but I think that is partially due to the attention hockey gets here in Michigan.

Both great sports IMO.

Edited by chiefjay

Don't know of him, but hockey was invented as an offshoot of soccer. No wonder Europeans like hockey. Similar game mechanics, similar game rules, similar scoring...etc

There's a penalty box in soccer? Since they don't wear golves, what do they drop to fight, their pants? Everyone knows hockey was invented in Mystery, Alaska, so it clearly has no European influence.

With all due respect, your initial question is weak, your responses are weak, your coming across as a confused, insecure, blabbering child. Soccer is gay. Europeans are gay. But if you want to like something, who really cares what other people think. :wacko:

I just can't, for the life of me, figure out exactly where you want this thread to go or what you're looking for. :D

There's a penalty box in soccer? Since they don't wear golves, what do they drop to fight, their pants? Everyone knows hockey was invented in Mystery, Alaska, so it clearly has no European influence.

With all due respect, your initial question is weak, your responses are weak, your coming across as a confused, insecure, blabbering child. Soccer is gay. Europeans are gay. But if you want to like something, who really cares what other people think. :wacko:

I just can't, for the life of me, figure out exactly where you want this thread to go or what you're looking for. :D

Looks like a :D expedition

I just wanted to hear you say that soccer is gay and Europeans are gay. That was the point of this thread. And that hockey was invented in "Mystery, Alaska. Plus I already told you, I am 12 years old and a girl. Plus expect an check for research participation once my book is published. Try to figure that one out :D

Plus hockey = soccer on ice = something gay europeans like

I just wanted to hear you say that soccer is gay and Europeans are gay. That was the point of this thread. And that hockey was invented in "Mystery, Alaska. Plus I already told you, I am 12 years old and a girl. Plus expect an check for research participation once my book is published. Try to figure that one out :wacko:

Plus hockey = soccer on ice = something gay europeans like

Meh

Is there anyway we can get soccer players to fight...or do they all just surrender like every other European when faced with a fight? If it were more like hockey or NASCAR in this regard, maybe we'd get Americans to at least watch the highlights on SportsCenter and then possibly watch a whole game without wanting to have sex with another man.

Is there anyway we can get soccer players to fight...or do they all just surrender like every other European when faced with a fight? If it were more like hockey or NASCAR in this regard, maybe we'd get Americans to at least watch the highlights on SportsCenter and then possibly watch a whole game without wanting to have sex with another man.

Well, manly behavoir is prohibited in soccer by a strick anti-manly pro-girly rule of Europeans. You see masculinity is strictly frowned upon, and sissiness, wussiness, feminism and faggotry are encouraged. Sex with other men will always be a prerequisite.

See for further proof: Soccer Practice by Gay Pimp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8L00gu5_9YY

I was watching a recent soccer bashing talking head on ESPN and noticed a change of attitude from other hosts, and although I would have certainly agreed with him 3 years ago (I used to really hate soccer) I think the attitudes on soccer are starting to change to more positive. I actually wrote a piece for my local newspaper before the last world cup on how america is against soccer because its sissy and boring...etc, but I've recently changed my opinion (after watching ESPN's euro 08 broadcasts this summer).... Anyway the soccer basher host didn't get the usual approval that soccer bashers get, but there was actual disagreement on soccer being an inferior sport...

So what do you think, have we as a nation stopped hating soccer? Is soccer bashing still considered a sign of masculinity and patriotism or is it outdated?

We stopped hating it. Mainly because our kids are playing it. Not so much our generation though. Tough to hate on something when our kids are working their arse's off 2-3 days/week and loving it. So we've grown used to it.

I'd venture to guess that soccer is by far the most played sport by kids - football, baseball, and basketball combined.

I'd like the sport infinitely more if you could fast break though. I absolutely hate offside rule in soccer. It should be the defense's responsibility to stay with the offense, not the other way around.

Edited by Cunning Runt

I havent read all the posts so this may be covered but to me soccer is brutally boring. I need more scoring. To watch a person run 3000 yards to the other end of the soccer field to have the ball stolen and have to watch it go 3000 yards to the other end of the soccer field with very limited scoring and sometimes limited shots on goal it just puts me to sleep. There isnt a tremendous amount of scoring in some hockey games as well but at least they are checking and the pace is quicker. Way too little action in soccer to keep me interested.

My youngest kid just started playing. She is 5. She runs very fast and has a great nose for the ball then when she gets to the ball she refuses to lay a foot on it. My other kid would rather help kids up that are falling then play the game :wacko: she stops in mid game to ask kids if they are OK when they go down. I told her to sweep the leg in the scrum but she wont listen.