[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I just put my House Rep on notice...

Pope Flick

...Jane Harman voted for the bailout yesterday and I called her office and said I was disappointed in her vote FOR the bailout and that I think she should vote the other way if presented with the same bill. The guy took my name, city and zip and said 'thanks for calling.'

It was very civil and took less than 90 seconds.

I recommend you all do the same.

...Jane Harman voted for the bailout yesterday and I called her office and said I was disappointed in her vote FOR the bailout and that I think she should vote the other way if presented with the same bill. The guy took my name, city and zip and said 'thanks for calling.'

The guy took my name, city and zip and said 'thanks for calling

Knock Knock

Badges Badges We dont need no stinkin Badges

The guy took my name, city and zip and said 'thanks for calling

Knock Knock

Badges Badges We dont need no stinkin Badges

Why don't you go back to posting stupid, childish stuff about Obama and Barney Frank that you then edit out a few minutes later because you lack the cojones to let people read it? Which was what was edited out of this post here.

All eight AZ House members, 4 D and 4 R voted against the bailout. I'm pissed and may vote anti-incumbent all the way down the line. They put their own political prospects ahead of the country's financial stability as far as I can tell.

Disagree. If the markets know that govt is there to bail them out then the market will never correct itself.

You want to give Paulson absolute power over 700 mil? Why do you think that fixes the problem?

All eight AZ House members, 4 D and 4 R voted against the bailout. I'm pissed and may vote anti-incumbent all the way down the line. They put their own political prospects ahead of the country's financial stability as far as I can tell.

So every representative that voted AGAINST the bill didn't have the nation's best interests in mind? That's interesting because I think that every representative that that voted FOR the bill didn't have the nation's best interests in mind.

So every representative that voted AGAINST the bill didn't have the nation's best interests in mind? That's interesting because I think that every representative that that voted FOR the bill didn't have the nation's best interests in mind.

+1 :wacko:

These economic questions sure are creating strange bedfellows.

Disagree. If the markets know that govt is there to bail them out then the market will never correct itself.

You want to give Paulson absolute power over 700 mil? Why do you think that fixes the problem?

From a purely principled point of view, I'm with you, but when you have illiquidity that spirals out of control and affects everything and everybody that didn't make these bad decisions, i'm not so sure that government action is a bad thing to right the ship before it completely sinks like the Titanic.

I don't pretend to have a thorough understanding of this stuff. I'm just Joe Citizen looking around and seeing things like my 401K going in the crapper. Thinking about people like my parents who only have a few more years to work and wondering what will happen to them and their retirement fund. Wondering what will happen if we don't do anything and credit gets tighter and tighter. Wondering how high unemployment will go. Will the cost of doing nothing now in the long term cost us even more? I wish I had better understanding and more answers.

From a purely principled point of view, I'm with you, but when you have illiquidity that spirals out of control and affects everything and everybody that didn't make these bad decisions, i'm not so sure that government action is a bad thing to right the ship before it completely sinks like the Titanic.

I don't pretend to have a thorough understanding of this stuff. I'm just Joe Citizen looking around and seeing things like my 401K going in the crapper. Thinking about people like my parents who only have a few more years to work and wondering what will happen to them and their retirement fund. Wondering what will happen if we don't do anything and credit gets tighter and tighter. Wondering how high unemployment will go. Will the cost of doing nothing now in the long term cost us even more? I wish I had better understanding and more answers.

You know the risks when you get into any kind of stock investment. I feel no pity for people losing money in their 401k's. I do, however wish to keep the dollar as strong as possible as that affects everyone who earns money in the US.

Why don't you go back to posting stupid, childish stuff about Obama and Barney Frank that you then edit out a few minutes later because you lack the cojones to let people read it? Which was what was edited out of this post here.

At the least, Frank's judgment was appallingly naive. After an initial encounter in which he paid Steve Gobie $80 for sex, the Congressman says he tried to lift the younger man out of drugs and prostitution by hiring him to run errands. He wrote letters to Gobie's probation officer and paid his psychiatric bills. He allowed Gobie the use of a car and sometimes his apartment when he was out of town.

After 18 months, Frank says, he dismissed Gobie upon discovering that he was bringing clients to Frank's apartment.

Speaking of playing politics:

RNC ad, was cut, sent out before package failed

The Republican National Committee's new advertisement critical of the the Wall Street "bailout" was produced and sent to television stations in key states before the package failed, officials at two stations said.

"Wall Street Squanders our money. And Washington is forced to bail them out with -- you guessed it -- our money. Can it get any worse?" asks the ad's narrator, as the words "BAILOUT WITH OUR MONEY" cross the screen. (The answer: Obama's plans would make it worse.)

The ad, however, seems to assume that it can safely attack a successful plan. And the reason may be the timing: Though it started airing this morning, the spot was released to stations yesterday morning, ad executives at stations in Michigan and Pennsylvania said.

Kae Buck of WLNS in Lansing said her station received the at at 7:55 a.m. Monday. Luanne Russell of Pittsburgh's WTAE said her station received it at 10:49 Monday morning.

The ad taps into deep resentment of the plan, but it comes at a time when the candidate it supports, John McCain, is urging its package, and asking that it not be referred to as a "bailout," but a "rescue."

Asked about the ad's relationship to the congressional legislation, the consultant heading up the RNC's expenditure, Brad Todd, responded in an email that Obama is its focus.

"This ad is about Barack Obama’s spending plan," he said. "Last Friday in the debate he struggled to name even one spending proposal he would responsibly trim in light of the economic crisis and any potential bailout plan. Senator Obama clings to his big spending approach even today and our ad campaign will focus attention on that irresponsible position."

UPDATE: Asked if he has any regrets about an ad that seems to cut against McCain's message, Todd reiterated his criticism of the fact that Obama hasn't altered spending plans in light of the crisis, and added: "In all seriousness....what planet are you on?"

By Ben Smith 10:42 AM

(Politico)

isn't the greater good more important than your individual situation? you are the one supporting obama, right?

isn't the greater good more important than your individual situation? you are the one supporting obama, right?

If you would read what I posted, I am concerned with everybody's situation.

Here's two interesting countering viewpoints:

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/09/29/mir...ref=mpstoryview

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/09/29/mar...ml?iref=topnews

If the government "broke it", shouldn't they have responsiblity to "fix it"? Lot's of people for example apply that logic to Iraq.

If you would read what I posted, I am concerned with everybody's situation.

Here's two interesting countering viewpoints:

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/09/29/mir...ref=mpstoryview

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/09/29/mar...ml?iref=topnews

If the government "broke it", shouldn't they have responsiblity to "fix it"? Lot's of people for example apply that logic to Iraq.

But isnt the bailout "us" fixing it? It is "our" money their using. I mean, hive me 770m and I bet I could do a pretty good job of fixint the economy as well.

Why would I do that when I want the bill to pass?

My representative voted against it. Honestly I'm not sure how I feel about it. From a purely philosophical standpoint, I am against it. Froma practical standpoint, it may be the best thing to do to get us out of this mess. Hopefully, they will amend the bill slightly adding some of the provisions the Republicans were requesting like increases FDIC insurance and adding some of items Muck talked about into it, and it will pass.

The market will correct itself either way. You mean if you let greedy CEOs get away with mismanaging their funds then I agree with you but I STRONGLY feel that the bill will help everyone SOONER rather than later. Letting these companies suffer will teach a lesson but the lesson is already taught. No need to punish the economy any further.

Oh and by the way the bailout plan was for 700million the stock market lost 1.2 trillion yesterday.

Don't punish those who are RELYING on their 401ks and pensions. This plan will help Americans ASAP and the market will fix itself.

Usually I am all for letting the market stay on its course but we are very close to a severe depression...not a time to be stubborn and say I told you so.

The market will correct itself either way. You mean if you let greedy CEOs get away with mismanaging their funds then I agree with you but I STRONGLY feel that the bill will help everyone SOONER rather than later. Letting these companies suffer will teach a lesson but the lesson is already taught. No need to punish the economy any further.

Oh and by the way the bailout plan was for 700million the stock market lost 1.2 trillion yesterday.

Don't punish those who are RELYING on their 401ks and pensions. This plan will help Americans ASAP and the market will fix itself.

Usually I am all for letting the market stay on its course but we are very close to a severe depression...not a time to be stubborn and say I told you so.

I disagree. If the market lost 1.2 trillion yesterday then how much did it earn back today?

Also, more are coming out saying 700bil isn't needed, but rather a commitment to do something with less funds (some are saying as "little" as 50bil) would reinfuse the market with lending confidence.

The bolded part is more asinine hyperbole. And I'll "tell you so" next week.

I disagree. If the market lost 1.2 trillion yesterday then how much did it earn back today?

Also, more are coming out saying 700bil isn't needed, but rather a commitment to do something with less funds (some are saying as "little" as 50bil) would reinfuse the market with lending confidence.

The bolded part is more asinine hyperbole. And I'll "tell you so" next week.

Why did the market bounce back today? Do you think it is permament?

50bil isn't going to do poopy

Also, do you think I am the only one who thinks we were heading towards a depression? I think not. So dont say its asinine when its plausable.

Edited by MrTed46

Why did the market bounce back today? Do you think it is permament?

50bil isn't going to do poopy

Also, do you think I am the only one who thinks we were heading towards a depression? I think not. So dont say its asinine when its plausable.

Here's what I recommend: call your rep and tell them to vote for it. You'll feel better.

And no, you're not the only one who thinks that. There are also many who believe 50bil will do the trick.