[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I just put my House Rep on notice...

Pope Flick

Is everyone against this going to feel the same way when businesses fail because they can't borrow money because banks don't have any to lend, and auto dealerships start closing, retail stores start closing, and you're out of a job. Now i'm sure some will say that's unlikely to happen, but from everything i've read, that possibility seems real.

Is everyone against this going to feel the same way when businesses fail because they can't borrow money because banks don't have any to lend, and auto dealerships start closing, retail stores start closing, and you're out of a job. Now i'm sure some will say that's unlikely to happen, but from everything i've read, that possibility seems real.

I think many of those against this bailout have well said that tough times are likely ahead. Some would rather face that market correction now, without any further interference from the government. It will probably be painful, but I fear that much less than the alternative now being discussed which is no guarantee to work.

It seems that we're asking the fox to tend the chickens it hasn't already eaten.

I think many of those against this bailout have well said that tough times are likely ahead. Some would rather face that market correction now, without any further interference from the government. It will probably be painful, but I fear that much less than the alternative now being discussed which is no guarantee to work.

It seems that we're asking the fox to tend the chickens it hasn't already eaten.

Jimmy and I see eye to eye on this one: I don't want a quick fix that delays the inevitable - or make it worse - and have the whole house of cards come down in 5 or 6 years.

Maybe this is what's really needed for the populace to shove a collective boot up the ass of Washington, seeing as how they've been partying on future generation's money for over 20 years now.

Jimmy and I see eye to eye on this one: I don't want a quick fix that delays the inevitable - or make it worse - and have the whole house of cards come down in 5 or 6 years.

Maybe this is what's really needed for the populace to shove a collective boot up the ass of Washington, seeing as how they've been partying on future generation's money for over 20 years now.

But it doesn't have to be inevitable. I understand that there's no guarantee that it will work but nothing is guaranteed.

I think some of you of are underestimating how much this will impact Joe american, and that it's not just the banks that are going to be hurt. I guess there's only so many times i can attempt to make that point so i'll stop beating a dead horse in these threads.

Edited by Jackass

But it doesn't have to be inevitable. I understand that there's no guarantee that it will work but nothing is guaranteed.

I think some of you of are underestimating how much this will impact Joe american, and that it's not just the banks that are going to be hurt. I guess there's only so many times i can attempt to make that point so i'll stop beating a dead horse in these threads.

I think many people are listening to "the sky is falling" and way OVERestimating the effect it will have on Joe American.

"Boulder liberal" Mark Udall voted against it. :D

I just sent him a thank you note.

My buddy from high school voted for it.

I sent him a no thank you note. :wacko:

In other news, the US House webmail system is experiencing unusually high volumes of traffic and will be intermittent for a while according to a note on that web site. :D

Jen Hensarling is my rep. I call his office every day to tell them he sucks. I'm opposed to this bailout because it gives one of the perpetrators of the crime $700,000,000,000.00 to play with with no oversight. Jeb Hensarling's opposition to this bill; however, is making me reconsider. Jeb Hensarling is the biggest d0uche on the planet.

Jen Hensarling is my rep. I call his office every day to tell them he sucks. I'm opposed to this bailout because it gives one of the perpetrators of the crime $700,000,000,000.00 to play with with no oversight. Jeb Hensarling's opposition to this bill; however, is making me reconsider. Jeb Hensarling is the biggest d0uche on the planet.

:wacko: For some reason, I believe this.

Drop an email or call to your senators tonight or tomorrow. They're voting again tomorrow afternoon.

Some small changes have been added including changing the FDIC insured amount per account to $250,000. That may help prevent a run on the banks, but then that's not really our problem is it?

Trivia - how long does the FDIC have to pay you in the event your bank fails? 5 bonus points to the Huddler that finds it in the fine print. Big John, you can't play - it wouldn't be fair.

I'm opposed to this bailout because it gives one of the perpetrators of the crime $700,000,000,000.00 to play with with no oversight.

This is still key - even revised versions grant very broad authority to the Sec Treas. As it is written now, he can pay whatever he wants for these bad mortgages. He'll be paying more than market to his old buddies - the same people lining the pockets of the faithful public servants pushing so hard for this.

It does establish an oversight committee, upon which the Sec Treas sits - how useful. :wacko:

The version the House voted down did not in fact cap executive salaries - it merely deferred them. You know, until the matter is conveniently out of the public eye - then they'll get their contractual millions for running their respective companies and our credit market into the ground.

Even if you are in favor of a bailout - this bill sucks golf balls through very long garden hoses. It should not be passed.

Drop an email or call to your senators tonight or tomorrow. They're voting again tomorrow afternoon.

Some small changes have been added including changing the FDIC insured amount per account to $250,000. That may help prevent a run on the banks, but then that's not really our problem is it?

Trivia - how long does the FDIC have to pay you in the event your bank fails? 5 bonus points to the Huddler that finds it in the fine print. Big John, you can't play - it wouldn't be fair.

Who is raising the FDIC insured amount to $250,000.00 supposed to help?

Who is raising the FDIC insured amount to $250,000.00 supposed to help?

I guess in a very general way they are trying to ease people's fears about losing their bank deposits. Like I said above, that's not really the problem we face.

Very well said, Jimmy.

DItto to you, Pope.