[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

car insurance

Azazello1313

so 3 years ago when I bought my house, I switched insurance to get car and homeowners together, allstate gave me the best rate. they've kept the car insurance reasonable since then. this time though it went up about 40%....from 500 something to 800 something for two cars for no explainable reason. I go get a quote from progressive, it is under 500 without even factoring in a homeowners insurance discount.

I have never been with a car insurance company that did not do this after a couple years. they give you a great quote to get you in the door, then they gradually start to turn the screws. I don't really WANT to switch companies every few years, but it seems like they leave me no choice. has anyone here worked in the industry to explain their thinking on this? are there any companies that DON'T pull this stunt?

Most companies offer a New Household discount for a year. Your agent should have explained that to you. I work for Farmers and we have the new household discount, but I do not even offer it, unless they specifically ask. Its just easier not to have to explain the jump at renewal time.

You might ask your new company, is a New Household discount included in this new policy, when does it end, and what will the price be then?

Edited by Sgt Ryan

One more thing, I rarely even offer the standard 25/50/25 to my customers. Because of the risk they still have, that many agents do not even explain to them. the last number above is property damage you do to other vehicles. Well that is a risk you have no idea until an accident happens. But if you hit something that costs more than 25K, who do you think pays for the difference. What if you hit something and run it into someone else, and the damage is 3 times that 25k amount. Guess who is underinsured and doesnt even know it until the time of loss. I explain 100/300/100 is the minimum coverage I even like to offer. The cost to increase coverage is just a few dollars more a month, but when you need it, you will have it. If you save $4 a month on lesser coverage, but owe 20K plus because you were underinsured and an accident is your fault, which is the better deal then.

So you might see what all is involved. You may be going from Personal Injury Protection on one policy to none on the other. Your deductible could be twice as high, which also lowers the rate considerably. You need to find an agent you can trust and who you know has your best interest in mind. We dont make much off each policy, and $4 a month more is less than 5 dollars more a year for us. So we are not upselling to upsell. We are upselling to protect you, because the benefit greatly outweighs the alternative at your time of loss. And its easier to retain customers if something happens, and they see they are covered. The easiest way to lose business is cost your customer serious money on damages they did to someone else, and they find out they are under insured and not even know it until its too late.

I have Allstate on my vehicle and house. I received a call back in April about the rates going up considerably, but my agent put me into some other promotional category and my rate only went up a little. I have a strong hunch it was complete BS. So, the wife and I will switch to Amica once the house is sold. They did her right on a car accident that was her fault. Paid the 500 deductible and the rest was covered. They aren't big advertisers so I never really heard of them before. Rates are a little higher than some "deals" out there, but getting better quality service and higher coverage with no feeling of BS is worth ~10% IMO.

Isnt State Farm already the highest to begin with? There is no where to jump when you are that high to begin with.

Been w/ State Farm since the early 80's. It was the cheapest then and still is. I check every once in awhile, but none of the biggies come close. Granted good driving record (no tickets since 81 and only one claimable accident ~1988) Wife has been driving since 1966 and never had even one! :wacko: They have served me well.

Been w/ State Farm since the early 80's. It was the cheapest then and still is. I check every once in awhile, but none of the biggies come close. Granted good driving record (no tickets since 81 and only one claimable accident ~1988) Wife has been driving since 1966 and never had even one! :wacko: They have served me well.

Driving today must be easy for you guys. You don't have to even unhitch the horses from the car! :D

My Father-in-law was military, and I was actually born on Ft. Hood Army base when Dad was in. We have USAA and LOVE it. I wish they did cycles, but they farm it out to Progressive and I've been happy with that so far.

If anyone can get USAA...it is by far the best rate...I have never beat them. Also, through AARP, The Hartford has a damn good rate....FWIW.

Home and Car combined for $70 a month here. Liberty Mutual, no one else could touch it. Was with State Farm for 15 years when I shopped it. Gotta shop it every year. You're paying for someone elses mistakes if you don't. It's a pain, but necessary.

Been with State Farm forever. No big jumps ever. Well, except when I moved from ND to AZ my rates about doubled, but that's a price you have to pay to live here I guess.

My rates with State Farm have gone down every year... but I think that has more to do with my car depreciating that any sort of generosity on their part.

But it's never gone up.

American Families, house, umbrella and two cars plus one driver under 25. Cars and umbrella cost me about $130 / month and the house $65. Could get it cheaper but I like the way AFI behaves when the $hit hits the fan here in Minny - they set up crisis centers after major storms and whatnot, then get checks out pretty much immediately. My rate always seems to drop a little even though the house is rebuild protected to 125% of cost. Never had a major rate bump all the time I've been with them.

Most companies offer a New Household discount for a year. Your agent should have explained that to you. I work for Farmers and we have the new household discount, but I do not even offer it, unless they specifically ask. Its just easier not to have to explain the jump at renewal time.

So you don't offer a discount because it might involve you having to explain stuff?!?! :wacko:

No wonder insurance agents are righ behind politicians and lawyers in the popularity department.

So you don't offer a discount because it might involve you having to explain stuff?!?! :wacko:

No wonder insurance agents are righ behind politicians and lawyers in the popularity department.

I dont offer what I consider a bait and switch tactic to just get someone in the door. I want a long term relationship with my customers, so I offer the rate they will keep as long as their situation doesnt change. I explain in detail their policy, Im not selling 15 mins can save you 15%.

At one time or another I have had State Farm, Allstate, Geico, Progressive, and Farm Bureau. My .02:

- Have never had some unexpected jump of even modest significance.

- State Farm was usually the highest when getting quotes, Allstate next.

- Allstate cust service was so bad I wouldn't get them even if the cheapest.

- USAA used to only be avail to military officers - can't say for sure now.