[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Given the economic times, what would you do?

Rebellab

I have an opportunity to get out of what I am doing right now and take on another job in the ag industry. It would be chemical sales, and the guy that I would be working for would want me to buy into the business when I am ready. I would be guaranteed more than I am making now by $20,000 and bonuses would take my yearly income to double what I am making right now. It would be something completely different from what I am doing currently with a flexible schedule and not as much responsibility for the time being.

I am currently a small percentage partner and I would need to invest more money at the end of the year to add 25%. I will never own this current business outright for at least 15 years and then it is questionable. I work 7 days a week 24 hours a day and that doesn't look like it is going to change. I have a tough time getting away for the weekend/vacation etc. My earning potential for my current job will be close to what I would start out at the new job. The sky is the limit at the new job as far as sales goes and expansion. I enjoy my current job, but I feel burned out.

Given our economic times, what would you do?

As long as there is security in the new job I would certainly go for it. Less hours , better pay..2 big reasons right there

I believe the security is there. I have had three meetings with the new guy and he is very progressive in his thinking, but hasn't done any advertising of his business. There is a whole lot of untapped resources to go after. He has owned the business for eight years and it has grown each year with very little effort on his part. He needs an employee to take some of the heat off him so he can grow his business and branch out into other things.

I believe the security is there. I have had three meetings with the new guy and he is very progressive in his thinking, but hasn't done any advertising of his business. There is a whole lot of untapped resources to go after. He has owned the business for eight years and it has grown each year with very little effort on his part. He needs an employee to take some of the heat off him so he can grow his business and branch out into other things.

Sounds really good. I would have to think your family life would benefit from the free time as well .I know you said you work 24/7 at your current job so that is something to consider as well. Sometimes its tough to take the leap if you are secure and sustained where you are but from what you are saying here it looks like a great situation and opportunity for you. I wish you luck with your decision .

Sounds really good. I would have to think your family life would benefit from the free time as well .I know you said you work 24/7 at your current job so that is something to consider as well. Sometimes its tough to take the leap if you are secure and sustained where you are but from what you are saying here it looks like a great situation and opportunity for you. I wish you luck with your decision .

Thanks for the thoughts, it is tough to take that step even when it looks nice and easy.

. I would be guaranteed more than I am making now by $20,000 and bonuses would take my yearly income to double what I am making right now. It would be something completely different from what I am doing currently with a flexible schedule and not as much responsibility for the time being.

I have a tough time getting away for the weekend/vacation etc.

Given our economic times, what would you do?

Sold. :wacko:

Good luck

Would it require a move by your family?

Would the new company cover your travel expenses for the sales aspects of your job (driving around in the country calling on farmers could rack up lots of gas bills)?

Have you seen tax returns and/or audits of the company's finances to be sure that he's not blowing smoke up your butt prior to you agreeing to become a "partner"? This is particularly important to make sure that he's been paying payroll withholdings to the IRS and that you wouldn't be signing up for an unexpected liability...

Do you have any other people you trust that know the guy? If so, what do they think of him and his business? If not, what sorts of background checks have you done on him / his firm?

If your coming on as the 2nd partner, will you have any say in who would come on down the road as the 3rd or 4th partner?

...etc...

As long as there is security in the new job I would certainly go for it. Less hours , better pay..2 big reasons right there

Whomp said what I was thinking. What I'd also add to this is that your original post sounds as if you know what the right answer is (take the job) because you speak fairly negatively about your current job when compaired to the new job. As far as the economy right now, if there is a good base salary, I'm not entirely sure why you wouldn't take the new job given what you say in your original post. I have discovered that flexibilty is one of my personal keys in me living an enjoyable, happy life.

If we are getting the full story by your description, I would take this job and never look back.

Edited by TDFFFreak

I have an opportunity to get out of what I am doing right now and take on another job in the ag industry. It would be chemical sales..

So you're going to be a fertilizer salesman. One of my former basketball players made over 700K last year doing what you describe. And she wasn't even an ag-major in college.

Edited by The Holy Roller

Would the new company cover your travel expenses for the sales aspects of your job (driving around in the country calling on farmers could rack up lots of gas bills)?

Have you seen tax returns and/or audits of the company's finances to be sure that he's not blowing smoke up your butt prior to you agreeing to become a "partner"? This is particularly important to make sure that he's been paying payroll withholdings to the IRS and that you wouldn't be signing up for an unexpected liability...

Do you have any other people you trust that know the guy? If so, what do they think of him and his business? If not, what sorts of background checks have you done on him / his firm?

If your coming on as the 2nd partner, will you have any say in who would come on down the road as the 3rd or 4th partner?

...etc...

It would appear that I will never make a major career move with first consulting muck.

...etc...

My wife and I don't have children, and we currently live next to where I work, so in a sense yes we will have to move. The wife is all about having her own house instead of one we basically rent (part of my salary package).

I haven't ironed out all the details yet on the transportation, but I am assuming I will have a company car, this is something I have thought about and will insist on.

I am not becoming a partner right away with this guy. He asked if I wanted to, and I told him give me a year or two to settle in.

I have known him for 10 years. I also have some farmer friends that know him and trust him.

When I become a partner, I will iron out all these things. By the time I become a partner he will be looking forward to retiring so, I would image we would iron out a long range plan.

And you ask all the hard questions. It is great to get this kind of angle tho.

Whomp said what I was thinking. What I'd also add to this is that your original post sounds as if you know what the right answer is (take the job) because you speak fairly negatively about your current job when compaired to the new job. As far as the economy right now, if there is a good base salary, I'm not entirely sure why you wouldn't take the new job given what you say in your original post. I have discovered that flexibilty is one of my personal keys in me living an enjoyable, happy life.

If we are getting the full story by your description, I would take this job and never look back.

I enjoy my job, I just wish I had some help I could rely on. I have a very flexible schedule as long as I can be available in 10 minutes, which is getting old. I really thought I would never change jobs. I just hope I am not doing it for the money.

So you're going to be a fertilizer salesman. One of my former basketball players made over 700K last year doing what you describe. And she wasn't even an ag-major in college.

I am not an ag major either, but I grew up on a farm and currently help out a friend with 11,000 acres. SO my exposure to it in the last 5 years has been on a very large scale. I am hoping I can at least sell them some product, which will help.

It would appear that I will never make a major career move with first consulting muck.

Isn't that the truth.

Thanks for the thoughts, it is tough to take that step even when it looks nice and easy.

Bingo...you wrote exactly what I was thinking. If it seems to good to be true, it sometimes is.

Try to find out why this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity isn't already spoken for.

if you are comfortable with the answer, it sounds like, in your mind, you are already there.

Congrats on what appears to be a no-brianer career change for you!