[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

anybody watching the market plummet again today

wiegie

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SELL! *

...but not too much in case it wipes you out...

What's the old line? The market can remain irrational longer than you can remain solvent?

* I'm referencing selling the TED spread (i.e., betting on a return to a more normal environment).

Edited by muck

SELL!

...but not too much in case it wipes you out...

What's the old line? The market can remain irrational longer than you can remain solvent?

Any real reason at all for the free-fall that you can think of? (Seriously, I can't think of a reason and I just got asked to go on television tonight to explain the drop.) :wacko:

It has been nearly a daily occurrence since about a week now. People are scared to death about the market and people are just selling because they are trying to convert into cash. It is unfortunate, but fear is a powerful thing and it is really crushing stocks right now. At some point when their is a new floor (probably around 8,000 pts on the Dow the market might get some savy investors off the sidelines and start buying again.

It has been very painful to see my 401(K) imploding, but I am not retiring for many years and it would hurt me in the long run to sell at the bottom of the market, so I will continue to plow money into my diversified portfolio and get more shares why it is low so when it does come back in the next year or two, I will enjoy the nice gains I will get from staying with my program.

Edited by PSULions

GM placed on credit watch negative didn't help much.

Crappy retail sales numbers earlier today didn't either.

...what am I short? S&P500 futures contracts...at the start of the day, I was short about $1.75 for every dollar of equity...so, if the market dropped 1%, I made 1.75%...I've been short since May. And, I did get filled (after the close) at my price and have covered more than 1/2 of the short position I had on at the beginning of the day. I have orders in to cover the remaining positions approximately 2% and 4% lower from here. FYI.

What are you short? Just curious. And what brokerage is still allowing you to short shares?

Short ban was lifted today around noon. FYI. I was short before the ban and am still short S&P500 futures contracts. I was short financials heading into the "bailout legislation" but covered; didn't want to risk a gigantic snapback...but kept my short futures positions on...

Does anyone else get the feeling that investing heavily in 5.56mm, 7.62mm and 9mm ammunition is not such a bad idea?