[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

anybody watching the market plummet again today

wiegie

For better or worse I shuffled a couple of things in my 401K right before the market closed.

I dropped out of FNORX and FSDAX. I rebalanced everything to 25% each among 4 funds.

So now i'm in:

FICDX Fidelity Canada

FCNTX Fidelity Contra Fund

FFNOX Fidelity Four in One Index

FDFAX Fidelity Select Consumer Staples

And I'm just going to try ignore it and see what happens over the next 12 months.

I think. :wacko:

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're still long vol?

:eek:

:wacko: yea, not as much as ive been all week. it has definitely worked though. the guy next to me has 100k in theta per night this weekend!! needless to say he has been crushing it the last few weeks. our thinking is that col will come in, but not a complete fire sale. risk managers are scared stiff and wont allow anyone to sell too much vol.

A friend just called to say she's coming in town and wants to get together tomorrow night.

I can't wait to pick her brain and get her thoughts on all that's been going down. She works for the Federal Reserve and has a masters in finance from Harvard, and has pretty good common sense.

The only advice she has given me so far, which I haven't taken, is to spend money right now as our economy needs that injection.

It is going to be really hard for me to keep a straight face next week when I have to teach the efficient markets hypothesis to my students. (Certainly all of these swings were the result of new information that caused people to update their estimates of present value of the stocks' future dividend streams... right?) :wacko:

Now, having said this, I really do believe that almost everyone should treat their investment strategy as though the efficient markets hypothesis actually is correct.

It is going to be really hard for me to keep a straight face next week when I have to teach the efficient markets hypothesis to my students. (Certainly all of these swings were the result of new information that caused people to update their estimates of present value of the stocks' future dividend streams... right?) :wacko:

I believe you could argue that the public's extreme response to incremental new information created a certain type of feedback loop, and the existence of this feedback loop was "new information".

And your 6'5 frame :wacko: will overtake him?

:flexing:

:D

It is going to be really hard for me to keep a straight face next week when I have to teach the efficient markets hypothesis to my students. (Certainly all of these swings were the result of new information that caused people to update their estimates of present value of the stocks' future dividend streams... right?) :D

Now, having said this, I really do believe that almost everyone should treat their investment strategy as though the efficient markets hypothesis actually is correct.

So wedgie, does this mean the hypothesis is wrong? If you have a try and keep a straight face, well, that kind of tells me the validity may be...well, crap.

The only advice she has given me so far, which I haven't taken, is to spend money right now as our economy needs that injection.

I don't have a degree from Harvard, but I highly recommend against this advice. We should all be very careful with our spending right now.

She was joking, right?

:wacko:

Nope she wasn't. I think her point is if we panic and don't spend and in combination with the credit freeze, it can make things worse. I think from a personal standpoint it is prudent to pull back, but if we stop being consumers, the economy will slow down that much faster. Not that we should max out our credit cards, we still need to make purchases within our means. I am actually putting words in her mouth. All she said was to keep spending and keep your money safe. I'll know more tomorrow night.

Nope she wasn't. I think her point is if we panic and don't spend and in combination with the credit freeze, it can make things worse. I think from a personal standpoint it is prudent to pull back, but if we stop being consumers, the economy will slow down that much faster. Not that we should max out our credit cards, we still need to make purchases within our means. I am actually putting words in her mouth. All she said was to keep spending and keep your money safe. I'll know more tomorrow night.

For what it's worth, I told both my brother and sister (who have jobs in cyclical industries) that they should cut back and prepare for a possible pretty bad economy. I could give two craps about any potential negative effects their reduction in spending might have on the overall economy.

(and interestingly enough, if people aren't spending money, they will be most likely putting their money into their bank accounts and this could(marginally) help unfreeze the credit markets.)

For what it's worth, I told both my brother and sister (who have jobs in cyclical industries) that they should cut back and prepare for a possible pretty bad economy. I could give two craps about any potential negative effects their reduction in spending might have on the overall economy.

(and interestingly enough, if people aren't spending money, they will be most likely putting their money into their bank accounts and this could(marginally) help unfreeze the credit markets.)

So instead of infusing cash in the banks through buying equity, why not give the money directly to people with the stipulation it be placed in savings accounts that can't be touched for one year? :wacko:

So instead of infusing cash in the banks through buying equity, why not give the money directly to people with the stipulation it be placed in savings accounts that can't be touched for one year? :wacko:

because it really wouldn't increase the bank's capital (my key word in my comments above about the savings accounts was "marginally"--meaning that it would really barely have any effect)

Again, from a personal persepctive I agree with you and have reduced my spending.

When she told me she wanted to go out to dinner at this fancy Mexican restaurant I told her I can only afford Taco Bell, or she can come over to my house for Top Ramen, and maybe I'll splurge and buy some Charles Shaw $2.99 wine. We are going to the fancy place, owned by a friend of ours, but the $15-18 entres are so big I can get two meals and a lunch out of it.