[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Tales from deer camp

Jimmy Neutron

Got a doe earlier this week as did one of my nephews. Passed on a 3 young 8's, one young 9, and young 10, and one old 8, waiting for my monster. Ended up shooting a total of 7 hogs, three with the bow, three with the pistol, and one with the rifle. We have an extended youth season, so I'll probably take my oldest daughter out there some time in the next week or two.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 9 months later...
Its about that wonderful time of year again. :wacko: Actually, the bow hunters been at it for a while now (at least here in MN). Anyone having any luck so far?

I've shot a doe and a hog with my bow. I've also shot a hog with my pistol and have massacred the dove. I've had the chance to shoot 5 different 8 points, but only one of them was a shooter, and he was more of an old cull. Something for one of my kids to shoot during youth season. My big one made it through the season, but due to the drought he is almost 10 inches smaller than he was last year, based on the pictures I've gotten of him. I really hope I don't see him, because I really don't know if I want to shoot him or hope nobody does and he makes it to next year when hopefully we have better conditions and he can be a monster again. At my local lease we've seen tracks of a mountain lion, and the farmer that lives next to our lease has seen him. That would be pretty cool to shoot, but I don't want to walk up on him in the morning on the way to the stand.

I've shot a doe and a hog with my bow. I've also shot a hog with my pistol and have massacred the dove. I've had the chance to shoot 5 different 8 points, but only one of them was a shooter, and he was more of an old cull. Something for one of my kids to shoot during youth season. My big one made it through the season, but due to the drought he is almost 10 inches smaller than he was last year, based on the pictures I've gotten of him. I really hope I don't see him, because I really don't know if I want to shoot him or hope nobody does and he makes it to next year when hopefully we have better conditions and he can be a monster again. At my local lease we've seen tracks of a mountain lion, and the farmer that lives next to our lease has seen him. That would be pretty cool to shoot, but I don't want to walk up on him in the morning on the way to the stand.

No doubt.

Few years back, I had a cow moose come out near my stand and spend the afternoon grazing/lounging. It was very cool to watch her from up close, but it was getting toward the end of the day and she was still hanging around. I did not want to get out of my tree with her still that close and I damn sure didnt want to run into a bull on the trail back to my truck. Luckily, she got up and made her way off toward another tree line before I had to climb down. No Bass vs moose confrontation :wacko:

Wish I would have had a camera. This year, I will be bringing with me these which my wife gave me for Xmas last year. Anyone ever use them? Hoping to get some video (though it seems the times you actually see things worth filming are the times you do not have any kind of camera with). I did get a short video with my iPhone of a spike that came out of the woods and snorted at me as I was standing over the buck I shot last year. Kinda cool though the video is not all that good.

Anyways, good luck everyone!

Doe #1

Doe #2

I have been able to hunt 20 some odd days, but have only went out 8 times. My farm is tough to hunt so maintaining the element of surprise for this time of the year is hugh. I passed on a couple other does not wanting to ruin those spots for the rut. I have 6 bucks I am chasing this year. Three 5 year olds, two 4 year olds and a 3.5 year old freak non-typical. I have a few other 4 year olds that I won't shoot because they should blow into absolute giants next year. I have 3 years of pics and video footage from nearly all of these bucks. I'm off work for 24 straight days starting Wednesday, can't wait!

Good luck everyone.

Was in the back yard burning off a garden yesterday. As soon as I lit it up, the wooosh from the fire scared up three doe. Like the good dog he is my basset took off after them as they were cutting across the back of the field. The three of them gracefully jumped the fence... The basset not so gracefully ran head long into it. He was calling the whole time he was in pursuit, though, I think I've got me a deer dog.

Wish I would have had a camera. This year, I will be bringing with me these which my wife gave me for Xmas last year. Anyone ever use them? Hoping to get some video (though it seems the times you actually see things worth filming are the times you do not have any kind of camera with).

We used the sunglasses cam on a duck hunt last year and the video was awesome. Like a POV perspective, watching the ducks come in, then looking down the barrel as the kid shot. We found out he typically shoots behind everything.....

I'm off work for 24 straight days starting Wednesday, can't wait!

Good luck everyone.

I have to hold out until the 3rd, but then I'm in a stand until the 16th. Our rut (Northern OK) usually peaks around the 10th of Nov or so, so I always horde my vacation until then, though archery season started Oct 1. I've had one nice buck and one doe taken off my place by friends already, but other than working the food plots and getting stands and ground blinds ready, I haven't even been out there with a bow yet.

We used the sunglasses cam on a duck hunt last year and the video was awesome. Like a POV perspective, watching the ducks come in, then looking down the barrel as the kid shot. We found out he typically shoots behind everything.....

Nice! I am hoping to get video of a shot as well. Obviously, a shot at a deer during rifle season may be too far to get good video with the iKams, but I have had plenty of close shots that I think would show up ok.

I hope it gets colder here soon. way to hot............ 55 we need it to be about 20 and about 3 inches of snow

I find myself begging for a blue norther about this time every year. Damn Al Gore and his freaking Global Warming!

I sat in a stand last year on Nov 7 when it was 91 deg outside. Stripped naked and painted my entire body with camo paint. Tired of bowhunting during Indian Summer.

I find myself begging for a blue norther about this time every year. Damn Al Gore and his freaking Global Warming!

I sat in a stand last year on Nov 7 when it was 91 deg outside. Stripped naked and painted my entire body with camo paint. Tired of bowhunting during Indian Summer.

Pocs?

I'm not a teenage girl, taking self portraits with my I Phone cam every ten seconds. No pics.

Well, what in the hell are we doing wasting time talking to you on the innernets, then? :tup:

Just kidding. Still pretty warm around here. Could definitely use some cooler temps by next weekend (particularly up nort). :wacko:

• 4 weeks later...

Kind of a rough year for me and most that I spoke to here in MN. Above normal temps and lots of wind did not help the cause. Skunked opening weekend. Ended up taking a doe last sunday morning after passing on a few smaller ones thur-sat. Did not see one set of horns this year :wacko:

Got some meat in the freezer, anyways, and always good times at the shack.

Hopefully, others are seeing more/bigger deer. How's it going for everyone else? I saw Red got a couple with the bow...

Really warm here in mid-MO. Right now in the 60s but windy also. So far we've taken a nice 10 pointer and a dumb doe that was too obnoxious to let live. Still lots of deer and hunters sleeping in the woods because of the warmth. Going out the door NOW! Here's to hopin'.