[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

MVP?

detlef

well for the most part i disagree, I can't see this as a play-off team for this year (meaning a current 8-4 record) with Carr running the show for 16 games

Probably not.

Any other worst QBs in the league you'd care to trot out for your specious example? NYG probably wouldn't be 8-4 with a turd like Carr under center; but with a, say, Jason Campbell or Jeff Garcia they'd probably be right about there.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably not.

Any other worst QBs in the league you'd care to trot out for your specious example? NYG probably wouldn't be 8-4 with a turd like Carr under center; but with a, say, Jason Campbell or Jeff Garcia they'd probably be right about there.

he is the MVP of the team, thus the reason why i sugested he should get some consideration for the league award. Since without Eli the Giants arnt where they are this season...that is essentially what the award is for correct, not the super stat stud of the year?

he is the MVP of the team, thus the reason why i sugested he should get some consideration for the league award. Since without Eli the Giants arnt where they are this season...that is essentially what the award is for correct, not the super stat stud of the year?

I've always figured it is for who is most essential to his team's success as opposed to having the "average" player in that position. Brees is carrying the Saints, for example. AD is carrying the Vikes. Eli is NOT carrying the Giants.

Not that Eli is playing poorly by any stretch; it isn't his fault the team is relatively loaded. But it makes the MVP case a bit tougher; MVP awards aren't as easy as "best player on the best team."

Im still trying to figure out how Eli is an Average QB, the mans a winner.

I didn't say Eli was "average" I said the Giants with an "average" QB are still pretty f'in' good.

Ergo, Eli's "value" to the Giants is less than the value of a Brees or a Peterson, who are carrying their teams.

Reading is fundamental.

Reading is fundamental.

Chavez, why you gotta get all college football forum on me...

who cares if you meant to call him average, but when you say...

I've always figured it is for who is most essential to his team's success as opposed to having the "average" player in that position. Brees is carrying the Saints, for example. AD is carrying the Vikes. Eli is NOT carrying the Giants.

in response to...

you called him average.

and where is Brees carrying his team, to a last place finish in the south? AD probably deserves to win the award, that we can agree on...he is carrying that team. I think them making the playoffs, which means winning the division will decide that though. Again i never said Eli deserves or should win MVP, just that i think his name belongs in the hat of potential candidates.

He may not have the massive stats, but you gotta give props to Matt Ryan for what he's doing as a rookie for the Falcons in erasing the Mike Vick era from Atlanta fans' memories.

no doubt

I disagree. I think Jacobs and Tuck are both more valuable.

Well this team has proven that it can win without Jacobs, and you really would want Jacobs to start as oposed to Eli should you have to choose one or the other? Personally id take Ward/bradshaw and Eli any day over Jacobs/Ward/Bradshaw and Carr.

Tuck would hurt alot yes, but the Giants pash rush comes from everywhere. Even the backups backups are getting sacks in Spags scheme. While it would definately change the face of the defence i think they could get by, which is not the case with Eli on offence imo.

who cares if you meant to call him average, but when you say...

in response to...

you called him average.

Then I did not make myself clear; what I meant was Eli vs average QB is not as essential to the Giants success as, say, Warner vs average QB or AD vs average RB.

Well this team has proven that it can win without Jacobs, and you really would want Jacobs to start as oposed to Eli should you have to choose one or the other? Personally id take Ward/bradshaw and Eli any day over Jacobs/Ward/Bradshaw and Carr.

So, now we're giving out the MVP based on how good the candidate's backup is?

Over Westbrook? Thats laughable.

Taz, player of the month bud...not week. :D

Then I did not make myself clear; what I meant was Eli vs average QB is not as essential to the Giants success as, say, Warner vs average QB or AD vs average RB.

cool,...still dont agree with you :wacko:

So, now we're giving out the MVP based on how good the candidate's backup is?

you said Jacobs was more valuable than Eli, so i gave you a simple senario

you said Jacobs was more valuable than Eli, so i gave you a simple senario

But your scenario doesn't substantiate your argument. Your argument leads to the following statement:

Adrian Peterson doesn't deserve the MVP because Chester Taylor is a quality starter when Peterson is injured.

Just because Chester Taylor is a good backup doesn't mean AD is or is not the MVP. And likewise, just because Jacobs has quality players behind him on the depth chart doesn't change him as a talent. If the Giants had a Matt Cassel type player on the bench, would Eli no longer be an MVP candidate?

But your scenario doesn't substantiate your argument. Your argument leads to the following statement:

Adrian Peterson doesn't deserve the MVP because Chester Taylor is a quality starter when Peterson is injured.

Just because Chester Taylor is a good backup doesn't mean AD is or is not the MVP. And likewise, just because Jacobs has quality players behind him on the depth chart doesn't change him as a talent. If the Giants had a Matt Cassel type player on the bench, would Eli no longer be an MVP candidate?

how does it not? AP was never a factor in my arguement...you said you think Jacobs is more valuable to the Giants than Eli is. I presented you a senario that i believe shows Eli is clearly more valuable to the Giants than Jacobs is.

AP is on pace for 1750 yrds and 12 TDs, thats why he deserves the MVP, I just don't necceasarily agree to giving awards like that to guys who teams can't make the playoffs (which could happen).

Eli is clearly more valuable to the Giants than Jacobs is.

This is true. Eli's transformation from a turnover machine to a play-maker who protects the ball last December is what got the Giants over the hump. The Giants could win a SB with an RBBC of Ward and Bradshaw. They couldn't do it with somebody like Cassel under center.

• 3 weeks later...
Is it time to bump DeAngelo Williams WAAAAAY up in the MVP discussion?

I think it's his to lose.

I don't see the Panthers struggling to get into the playoffs without him, and that significantly undercuts his "most valuable" argument. That said, he certainly deserves strong consideration. In a year without anybody putting up eye-popping offensive numbers, he has a very legitimate shot.

A month ago, I thought that it was Warner's to lose. But he's put up mediocre performances in a few big games since and his performance today was nothing short of embarrassing. Among QBs, I'd have to say that Peyton is the front-runner at this point.

I don't see the Panthers struggling to get into the playoffs without him, and that significantly undercuts his "most valuable" argument. That said, he certainly deserves strong consideration. In a year without anybody putting up eye-popping offensive numbers, he has a very legitimate shot.

Yeah, the fact that if DeAngelo goes down, the Panthers are stuck trotting out...er, Jonathon freakin' Stewart probably diminishes the perception of his value.

:wacko: Then again, having the able Chester Taylor right behind him doesn't seem to hurt AD any.

How about Brandon Jacobs? Obviously, the Giants are loaded at RB, but he really seems to set the tone for that offense, and the Giants can lay legit claim to "best team in the league."

How about Brandon Jacobs? Obviously, the Giants are loaded at RB, but he really seems to set the tone for that offense, and the Giants can lay legit claim to "best team in the league."

Watching the NY/Carolina game tonight, I couldn't tell you who the best RB on the Giants is.