[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

College Bball

Timmypg

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm starting to develop a pet theory about Coach K and Dook's late season troubles. Historically, Duke's single biggest weapon is their intensity. Coach K has long had a reputation for putting teams on the floor, that despite not being the most physically gifted team on the floor, they always play harder than you do, and play smarter than you do. Mike is know for his ability to motivate his kids, and in general, Dook has a reputation for a whole that is greater than the sum of it's parts. He gets an exceptional amount of effort from his kids, and I'd argue that this level of motivation is Dook's single biggest asset.

Well, Mike is getting a little long in the tooth. Mike has also been taking on additional responsibilities over the years, at Dook and otherwise. Olympic Basketball, for example. Also, I'd point out that mike's assistants have gotten younger and younger, and I have no doubt, require more hand holding. He lost his longtime assistant Johhny Dawkins this year. Wojo and Collins are both in their first stints as assitant coaches at Dook.

Well, my theory is that Mike is tired. His age, in conjunction with additional responsibility, and a less experienced coaching staff is diminishing the amount of effort he is able to put into his team. It was this effort that allowed him to stoke up his basketball team to the point where they can spit nails. When this level of intensity slips, then Dook is more likly to play like regular kids, not the unwavering machine that people are used to.

Duke needs to go out & get a big man or two. If it kills them they need size.

A true point with any speed at all wouldn't hurt either. While I completely agree that they really need true big men rather than trying to convert skinny 3s and borderline 4s into 4s and 5s, what killed them last night was a complete inability to attack the press, which is something a big man wouldn't have been much help with.

I'm starting to develop a pet theory about Coach K and Dook's late season troubles. Historically, Duke's single biggest weapon is their intensity. Coach K has long had a reputation for putting teams on the floor, that despite not being the most physically gifted team on the floor, they always play harder than you do, and play smarter than you do. Mike is know for his ability to motivate his kids, and in general, Dook has a reputation for a whole that is greater than the sum of it's parts. He gets an exceptional amount of effort from his kids, and I'd argue that this level of motivation is Dook's single biggest asset.

Well, Mike is getting a little long in the tooth. Mike has also been taking on additional responsibilities over the years, at Dook and otherwise. Olympic Basketball, for example. Also, I'd point out that mike's assistants have gotten younger and younger, and I have no doubt, require more hand holding. He lost his longtime assistant Johhny Dawkins this year. Wojo and Collins are both in their first stints as assitant coaches at Dook.

Well, my theory is that Mike is tired. His age, in conjunction with additional responsibility, and a less experienced coaching staff is diminishing the amount of effort he is able to put into his team. It was this effort that allowed him to stoke up his basketball team to the point where they can spit nails. When this level of intensity slips, then Dook is more likly to play like regular kids, not the unwavering machine that people are used to.

I agree but also think his stubbornness to evolve to the modern circumstances that you need guys that have no intention of playing 3-4 years to win it all. That's what will likely cost him that kid Wall from Raleigh's Word of God (gotta love that name for a HS, btw). He's got no intention of playing more than one year and K's not going to have it. I understand that others have bailed early and he hasn't exactly faulted them for doing so. But, say Deng. My guess was that he wasn't intending to be one and done. He just completely blew up and it was too clear he'd go top 5 or so, so he went.

I agree but also think his stubbornness to evolve to the modern circumstances that you need guys that have no intention of playing 3-4 years to win it all. That's what will likely cost him that kid Wall from Raleigh's Word of God (gotta love that name for a HS, btw). He's got no intention of playing more than one year and K's not going to have it. I understand that others have bailed early and he hasn't exactly faulted them for doing so. But, say Deng. My guess was that he wasn't intending to be one and done. He just completely blew up and it was too clear he'd go top 5 or so, so he went.

Mike tried that a few years back. I think that's part of the reason why he has the types of payers he has today. Deng hurt, but IMO, it was really the year that Brand, Avery and Magette left that Mike decided he would go back to recruiting 4 year payers.

Mike tried that a few years back. I think that's part of the reason why he has the types of payers he has today. Deng hurt, but IMO, it was really the year that Brand, Avery and Magette left that Mike decided he would go back to recruiting 4 year payers.

Well, others have figured out a way to blend very good college players (read: 3-4 year solid starter types that may or may not have the goods to make it in the NBA) with one or two hired guns who are going to be one and done. Works for Roy, anyway.

No way. They have been over-rated in past seasons when Pargo and Hyetvelt were really the only athletes on the team. This team has a minimum 3 NBA prospects (Daye is a sophomore and will likely be a lottery pick) and is a much deeper and more athletic team than the Morrison squad that should have taken out UCLA in the sweet 16. I can't speak for the losses to to Utah and Portland St, but Gonzaga controlled UCONN in the 2nd half before choking away that game.

:wacko:

A couple of good wins for the mid-tier ACC teams. Florida State gets a win @ Clemson and VT comes from behind to win at home against NC State. Middle tier ACC teams had a particular problem last year beating the bottom dwellers in the ACC and therefore had trouble distinguishing themselves for NCAA berths. FSU, VT, Miami and BC need to win their games against NCSU, Ga. Tech, UVA, and UMD.

No reason the ACC can't get 7 or 8 teams in the tourney this year.

I'd just like to point out that the latest bracketology has the ACC with 8 bids and the Big East with 7.

:wacko:

Coupla Big East teams have totaly stepped on their dick, most notably Georgetown and Notre Dame. Frankly, I rather see more teams from mid-major conferences and les dregs from the big boys. I somehow doubt that teams 5 thru whatever from either conference are really going to light up the tournament anyway.

Coupla Big East teams have totaly stepped on their dick, most notably Georgetown and Notre Dame. Frankly, I rather see more teams from mid-major conferences and les dregs from the big boys. I somehow doubt that teams 5 thru whatever from either conference are really going to light up the tournament anyway.

I hear you, and actually think that there should be a cap on bids from conferences and/or the tourney should actually shrink. Ironic, of course, that the only thing on the plate is that it actually freaking expand. How stupid is that? 100 f'ing teams? What a joke.

I completely understand that one conference could have 2 or even 3 of the best, say 10 teams in the country, so I absolutely understand that it shouldn't be like it used to be where each conference sent one team. However, at least back then, the conference race was absolutely huge. UNC could be the 2nd best team in the country, but if Duke was 1st, UNC was at home watching, so you know that title game was something.

None the less, if you're not, at least 4th best in your own conference, what business do you have saying anything about who cuts down the nets at the end? Sure, you could be good enough to upset a top team on the right night, but you apparently haven't proven it night in and night out enough to show that you can win 6 straight against the best of the best, and that's what matters.

and as a result of the Big East falling off a bit- Joey brackets has the Pac 10 with 6 bids :wacko:

*Almost* desefvedly so. UCLA, Washington, Arizona St., Cal, USC, and Arizona are all playing well and (more importantly) look like quality squads.

A big shootout weekend in the desert as the SoCal teams visit the Arizona schools. If UCLA wins both, expect them to pop back up into national prominence and #2 seed-type consideration. If they lose both, the Pac-10 will almost certainly get a 5th team and solid possibilities of a 6th team in the dance.

First chance for me to see the Pac-10 tonight at 9:00 EST instead of 10:30. Any chance AZ State can hang with UCLA or is the Pac-10 a one horse race this year?

oh yeah, no doubt they will hang- ASU beat them at Pauley in Jan - and ASU is tough at home - dis baby should go to the wire

that being said UCLA has improved a ton in the last 2-3 weeks

James Harden is one of the best players in the nation - and will be a top 5 pick in the draft......

that being said I effing hate ASU :wacko: GO BRUINS

oh yeah, no doubt they will hang- ASU beat them at Pauley in Jan - and ASU is tough at home - dis baby should go to the wire

that being said UCLA has improved a ton in the last 2-3 weeks

James Harden is one of the best players in the nation - and will be a top 5 pick in the draft......

that being said I effing hate ASU :wacko: GO BRUINS

I have to admit, I always liked Herb Sendek. I'm glad to see him having success. He's only going to get better.

I have to admit, I always liked Herb Sendek. I'm glad to see him having success. He's only going to get better.

watch Harden- one of the smoothest guys you will see play - it is really uncanny bc he doesn't necessarily jump out at you while you are watching the game. He just piles up numbers and is way more athletic than he looks - not a shooter at all- just a pure scorer and slasher

He is #2, 3 on most NBA mock draft boards