[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

College Bball

Timmypg

i think there is something to this - bc IMO coach K obviously is recruiting 1-2 studs(i.e. Singler/Henderson) and the rest are solid, not great players that he knows are a) coachable and :wacko: not jumping to the draft anytime soon. It is painfully obvious that this team is really not that talented and many nights is facing an uphill battle vs more talented, athletic teams. I mean a Scheyer/Paulus/Smith backcourt is just not goin to get it done vs the elite - not a chance.

I am a bit removed from ACC country- but it appears K is stubborn as hell and wants to make sure he proves to everyone how sick of a coach he is by coaching up these limited kids and getting them to overachieve.....

no one in their right mind can watch Dook and say they have top 10 talent

Honestly, I don't know what his issue is with guys who don't plan to play 3-4 years. It's not their freaking fault they have to live through this charade. Blame the NBA, they're the one that wants these kids to spend a year being marketed at the college level before they jump. If these kids don't need to go to college in order to do what they're good at, why should they have to? If you want to make college ball more about student athletes, then let guys skip it all together rather than pretend for a year and then bounce?

The really unfortunate thing is that these kids are being portrayed as mercenaries. Well, that's what it is when you want to get paid for what you do. Just like the rest of us. When I see Lebron James, I see a guy who, besides being insanely gifted athletically, seems together enough that he probably would have turned out fine even if he, like everyone else, had to get a normal job. Maybe he would have gone to school, but he didn't need to. So he didn't.

There's this wunderkind in these parts who dropped out of Stanford after like 1 semester or something and invented some bad-ass circuit for cellphones, started his own company, and is now mad wealthy at like 25 or something. Everyone talks about how amazing that is.

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry, by we I meant Duke. Also, I may have my homer glasses on but I would bet that Duke is back to elite status within the next 3 years. I bet they'll win the ACC & make the final four in that span.

P.S. I am not saying this year as they aren't great right now. I am talking soon.

Sorry, by we I meant Duke. Also, I may have my homer glasses on but I would bet that Duke is back to elite status within the next 3 years. I bet they'll win the ACC & make the final four in that span.

P.S. I am not saying this year as they aren't great right now. I am talking soon.

I feel in a sporting mood and considering I've been running my mouth about how their problems are bigger than most think, I'd be happy to wager on this. If you want, you can phrase your claim into something you're prepared to stand by in a bet and, I'll have a look.

I don't think it's unreasonable to expect them to win either the ACC regular season or tourney in that time but I would be stunned if they made a deep run into the tourney in the next 3 years (even if you started counting next year).

While I can;t speak for most of the league, I can say that UNC will be talented, but very young next year, and I would imagine that Wake is going to lose Teague and Aminu and maybe Johnson this year. Who does Dook lose? Paulus? They'll contend for a league title next year.

While I can;t speak for most of the league, I can say that UNC will be talented, but very young next year, and I would imagine that Wake is going to lose Teague and Aminu and maybe Johnson this year. Who does Dook lose? Paulus? They'll contend for a league title next year.

Which is why I won't bet against Duke winning the conference in the next 3 years.

Yep, I'm not a high stakes guy either. I just like having a little something extra to root for. How 'bout $50.

So, the bet is that they will (or will not) win the ACC and make a Final Four appearance in the same year within the next three seasons?

If it was one or the other, I would absolutely love their chances... for both to happen in the same year, I'm liking the odds a lot less (although it's obviously still not a huge stretch of the imagination). It would be interesting to see some odds on these happening.... :wacko:

Is a shared conference title considered a push?

I don't see any reason why Dook can't do both next year. I have to imagine that, given another year, Nolan Smith won't be a competent point guard. Hell, if Dook can go to a final 4 with chris duhon at the point, they can go with nolan smith. (say what you will about duhon's pro career, but he never impressed me at dook. Singler will be a beast next year, and henderson is only going to get better. I've always maintained that herderson is a hothead, but he has improved his short game this year. He still has no business shooting the 20 footer, but I'd imagine he'll shine that up by next year as well.

Edited by billay

Back to the most interesting conference in America :wacko:....

Current standings:

Washington (10-3), Arizona St. (9-4), California (8-4), UCLA (8-4), Arizona (8-5), USC (6-6)

Thursday game of the Night:

Washington @ UCLA.

Everyone gives UCLA their best shot, especially when the Bruins travel. The Huskies were no different when they methodically pounded them in the second half last month in Seattle. Both of these teams are anywhere from #3 to #6 type seeds in the tourney and it will be interesting to see how both respond to this type of game. If the Bruins blow the doors out from the getgo, I have more confidence in how they'll perform come tourney time.

Saturday game of the Day:

Washington @ USC

With the Bay Area schools in Oregon this weekend, and the Arizona schools playing each other on Sunday, there isn't a lot of choice for this one. USC is on a bit of a slide, and probably needs to sweep this weekend to get back into tourney consideration. Lunardi has USC as his "last team out" this week, and with big matchups against the Bay Area and Arizona schools, as well as the conference tourney remaining, every game is pretty big for the Trojans from here on out. Washington could use the win considering the likelihood that UCLA, Cal, and ASU will have 10-wins in conference come Sunday evening.

Sunday game of the Night:

Arizona @ Arizona St.

Arizona is a really fascinating team. Jordan Hill and Chase Budinger are very polished players, and Nic Wise is a really fun slasher to watch play who matches up well with the really good crop of PGs in the league this year. They have been playing very well of late, and are the type of team that might not finish higher than 4th in the conference, but could very well be the team that goes the deepest in the Big Dance given the right matchups. Arizona St. has the pretty much consensus choice of player of the year in James Harden, and a very solid big man in Jeff Pendergraph, but....and maybe wildcat can chime in on this, but I just don't see what people like about this team to the point that they're ranked #14 in the country. They haven't beaten anyone of note besides UCLA (San Diego St. maybe too, but that's subjective). They're only 4-3 against the top 6 in the conference.....anyway, it's the national TV game on Sunday, so everyone can watch it.

How does a guy like Thabeet go for 5 and 3? I mean, I can understand that he might not score a lot of points, but can't you get the guy more than 5 shots? And there's no excuse for a 7-footer getting 3 rebounds and 1 block?. Can somebody who watched the game give me the low down?

:wacko:

How does a guy like Thabeet go for 5 and 3? I mean, I can understand that he might not score a lot of points, but can't you get the guy more than 5 shots? And there's no excuse for a 7-footer getting 3 rebounds and 1 block?. Can somebody who watched the game give me the low down?

He got straight up abused by Blair.

Yep, I'm not a high stakes guy either. I just like having a little something extra to root for. How 'bout $50.

$50 is fine with me.

So, the bet is that they will (or will not) win the ACC and make a Final Four appearance in the same year within the next three seasons?

If it was one or the other, I would absolutely love their chances... for both to happen in the same year, I'm liking the odds a lot less (although it's obviously still not a huge stretch of the imagination). It would be interesting to see some odds on these happening.... :wacko:

Is a shared conference title considered a push?

They must do both but not in the same year just once each within the next 3 years.

I'm not sure what a share does. What do you think Detlef?

+1 Blair absolutely OWNED him. He took his reach advantage away from him by taking it right to him. One of the best perfromances I've seen all year. What a Beast!

dayum - Blair is a force - and Pitt is gonna be one helluva an out in the NCAA tourney - looking like #1 seed and legit FF team. Could see that squad cutting down the nets.........

Anyone else notice how much Blair LOOKS like Elton Brand?

GTS - I have no love for ASU, but they have a pretty solid resume - swept UCLA, beat UA, SDSU, BYU - all NCAA tourney teams and Harden is flat out one of the most dominant guards in the country - throw in Pendergraph and that is a pretty potent 1-2 punch. They arn'te going very deep but certainly can make a nice sweet 16 run -

UA is really jelling - and shocking the hell out of me really - the way WIse is playing they can go to battle with Wise, Budinger and Hill against anyone.

$50 is fine with me.

They must do both but not in the same year just once each within the next 3 years.

I'm not sure what a share does. What do you think Detlef?

A share is fine but if we include a share, then winning the ACC tourney doesn't count. They need to win the regular season title. Hell, the way that thing goes, anyone decent can win it any year and K takes that thing verrry serious (perhaps to the detriment of his NCAA tourney chances).

dayum - Blair is a force - and Pitt is gonna be one helluva an out in the NCAA tourney - looking like #1 seed and legit FF team. Could see that squad cutting down the nets.........

Anyone else notice how much Blair LOOKS like Elton Brand?

Seriously good game last night and yes, Blair did own Thabeet. However, I have to think that the judo flip Blair gave Thabeet early in the game took something out of him. I'm quite surprised that he didn't break his arm. That being said, Pitt did a real good job of not letting Thabeet get easy dunks. On the other side of things, except for a couple of notable exceptions at the end of the game, the UCONN guards owned Pitt.

One other thing I'll say about this game is that is was easily one of the worst officiated games I've seen all year. One thing about officiating that drives me crazy is when the officials don't call anything in the first half and then call every ticky-tack thing as soon as the second half starts. Either call the game loose or tight, but don't change half way through. The kids start playing a certain way, expecting the game to be officiated in a certain way and then, bang! it get's changed on them. And no, UCONN didn't lose because of the officiating, they lost because the let Lavance Fields get back to back three pointers with about 2:30 left in the game that just blew it open for them. Both can be blamed on freshman mistakes from Kemba Walker.

This may not be the worst thing that could have happened to UCONN. A humbling loss late in the season can have a glavanizing effect on a team. They just have to not let this become a habit. They still have Notre Dame coming to town and have travel to Marquette and to Pitt.

I was shocked at the second half officiating as well. The Big East has a reputation for always being the conference that "lets 'em play" so to speak. Why the refs decided to call everything in the second half is beyond me. Maybe the Pac 10 called on the telephone and told them it was getting too rough.

I was shocked at the second half officiating as well. The Big East has a reputation for always being the conference that "lets 'em play" so to speak. Why the refs decided to call everything in the second half is beyond me. Maybe the Pac 10 called on the telephone and told them it was getting too rough.

yeah - 2nd half was wild- I think the refs tightened up bc the game was getting out of control - loose balls, bodies flying everywhere - there were bad calls made but at the same time it got pretty chaotic on the floor......

VIG - watched alot of ACC this year partner - skilled, skilled league but kind of on the soft-side.........................

A share is fine but if we include a share, then winning the ACC tourney doesn't count. They need to win the regular season title. Hell, the way that thing goes, anyone decent can win it any year and K takes that thing verrry serious (perhaps to the detriment of his NCAA tourney chances).

The ACC tourney doesn't count anyway. We can go 1 of 2 ways if you want. 1. Use ACC tourney seeding as the regular season title tiebreaker or 2. if a share occurs lower the bet to $25 & make it just a final four bet. It's your call.

The ACC tourney doesn't count anyway. We can go 1 of 2 ways if you want. 1. Use ACC tourney seeding as the regular season title tiebreaker or 2. if a share occurs lower the bet to $25 & make it just a final four bet. It's your call.

Naw, shared title counts. If Duke wins or shares the ACC regular season and makes the final four within the next three years, not counting this one and not necc. in the same year, I pay you $50. Otherwise, you pay me. Done deal.