[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

College Bball

Timmypg

Still standing by this two weeks later? :wacko:

congrats to the Dawgs for taking the Pac 10 title - but wow absolutely not much separation from 1-5

Zona had UW on the ropes at home- couldn't deliver the knockout - the Hill injury was hugh - bc he was dominating

looks like UW, UCLA, ASU, CAL, UA are IN - USC is on life support and WSU would need to win the Pac 10 tourney - but are playing much better than they were earlier in the year.

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

looks like UW, UCLA, ASU, CAL, UA are IN - USC is on life support and WSU would need to win the Pac 10 tourney - but are playing much better than they were earlier in the year.

You are usually able to overlook your own Pac 10 bias and provide and accurate assessment but I'm afraid you may have swallowed some of the kool-aid with this statement.

USC's relatives have opted to remove them from life support and they passed away quietly in their sleep Sat night.

UA isn't a lock to be IN just yet. If they lose to Cal and Stanford this week, they are in big trouble.

Penn St. 9-7 20-9

Wisconsin 9-7 18-10

Minnesota 8-8 20-8

Ohio St. 8-8 18-9

The big three in the Big Ten are in... Michigan State, Purdue, and Illinois. I still think MSU can work their way up to a 2-seed if they run the table in the conference tournament, especially after their big win at Illinois yesterday. I think the rest of the conference needs to get to at least 10-8 in conference to make the tournament... 9-9 will not cut it. Here is how I see it (in the order that I like their chances)...

Wisconsin - All they have to do is beat Indiana at home in their final game... a win @ MIN on Wednesday would be a bonus.

Ohio State - Travel to Iowa tomorrow night, then host Northwestern this weekend. They SHOULD win both, but Iowa is not an easy place to win, especially if it's a "must-win" game and the Hawkeyes know it.

Minnesota - Two home games remaining, both of which they need to win... Wisconsin on Wednesday, then Michigan on the weekend. Their problem is that the Louisville win was over three months ago, and they didn't win many impressive games in conference, other than blowing out Illinois at home. If I had to bet, I would say they'll fall short in one of these two games, but they're very tough (and a totally different team) at home, and I'm obviously pulling for them to get in.

Penn State - Their biggest problem is that they didn't beat ANYONE outside of the Big Ten. Their biggest argument... they beat everybody they had to in conference, including all of the top teams (MSU, Purdue, and Illinois included). Given their weak non-conference schedule, and their poor RIP rating, I think they're the one team that may not even get in at 10-8. I think they need 11 wins, which means beating Illinois at home, and then winning at Iowa this weekend. We'll see what happens, but I wouldn't be surprised to see them lose either (or both) of these games. If they win both, I don't think there is any way they miss out on the dance.

Michigan - Lost in OT to Iowa two weeks ago, then came back to beat Purdue four days later. The theme with the Wolverines all year has been inconsistency. I think they need to win at Minnesota on Saturday, and then do some serious damage in the tournament (probably make it to the final, if not win it) to get in.

I'm still sticking with 6 teams getting in from the Big Ten, although it may only end up being five. We'll know for sure in two weeks....

You are usually able to overlook your own Pac 10 bias and provide and accurate assessment but I'm afraid you may have swallowed some of the kool-aid with this statement.

USC's relatives have opted to remove them from life support and they passed away quietly in their sleep Sat night.

UA isn't a lock to be IN just yet. If they lose to Cal and Stanford this week, they are in big trouble.

UA - well, of course if the lose to both Stanford and CAL that would be in jeopardy - BUT since they are 6-1 in league play at home, and are always tough there, I think the chances of that are slim and none........... a split at worst and they are in

I have no problem with letting USC slip away quietly

Pac 10 is all but a lock for 5

By the way, when I add my :wacko: on the Big Ten (11), I'm not in any way advocating that they should get more (or less) teams into the tournament. I'm a Minnesota fan, not a Big Ten fan. No team in the country do I dislike more than I dislike Iowa, Illinois, or Wisconsin. I do my analysis on who is getting in and who isn't simply because I find it interesting who the committee selects each year, and who they leave out. The NCAA basketball tournament is, and always has been, my favorite sporting event of the year. I enjoy watching each and every game, period. Beyond that, two things are important... whether Minnesota gets a bid and who wins the National Championship. Nothing else matters, really. Given that the Gophers have had their only Final Four appearance in the last 30+ years taken away from them because of NCAA violations, it's been a tough road as a Gopher hoops fan. But, it doesn't matter... it will always be my favorite event of the year, even if Minnesota fails to reach the Final Four again in my lifetime.

You won't hear any crying/bltching from me if they don't get an invite, and you CERTAINLY won't hear me complain if any of the other Big Ten teams get left out. As far as I'm concerned, the Gophers have made their bed... and they will have to lie in it when it's all said and done. They had SEVERAL chances to win another quality game in the Big Ten, and now they're in the position that they are in. The next two games make or break their chances... I like those chances, given that they're home games (and they can beat ANYONE at home if they play to their potential), but I also certainly wouldn't be surprised if they blow it... I guess I'm just used to setting my expectations for them rather low, considering their history (or at least the portion that I can remember, which goes back to the early 80's).

Next year will be Minnesota's best chance to make some noise in the conference in quite some time... They lose two seniors, one of which never plays, while the other is a co-captian, but only 10th or 11th on the depth chart. Add in a solid recruiting class by Tubby, and they should have some serious depth at every position next year. They need somebody to step forward as the go-to player, however... If that happens, I give them as good of a chance as anybody to be at the top of the standings a year from now.

Ohio State escapes Iowa tonight with a 2-pt victory... The Hawkeyes very easily could have won this game. They had plenty of chances late to put it away. Big win for the Buckeyes... now, they just need to take care of business at home against NW. More big games in the Big Ten tomorrow (WISC @ MIN) and Thursday (ILL @ PSU).

Minnesota keeps the dream alive

Kentucky seals its fate - when is the last time KY and Indiana were both not in the tourney?

Miami didn't do itself any favors either.

Memphis is pushing for a #1 seed and OU is letting them in.

Edited by Vinatieri Is God

Big games Saturday for all the marbles. UCONN @ Pitt and Louisville @ West Virginia

If UCONN wins they are the Big East regular season champs and #1 seed in BE tourney

If Pitt wins and Louisville loses, they are the Big East regular season champs and #1 seed in BE tourney

If Pitt wins and Louisville wins, Louisville is the Big East regular season champs and #1 seed in BE tourney

UCONN and Pitt tip at noon, Louisville and West Virginia tip at 9 PM.

Edited by Kid Cid

Ohio State escapes Iowa tonight with a 2-pt victory... The Hawkeyes very easily could have won this game. They had plenty of chances late to put it away. Big win for the Buckeyes... now, they just need to take care of business at home against NW. More big games in the Big Ten tomorrow (WISC @ MIN) and Thursday (ILL @ PSU).

Penn State seems to have made some type of deal with the devil during their last time out to pull out the win against Illinois. This is probably the win that pushes them off the bubble and into the field. Although losing to Iowa could still blow up the dream.

Edited by Kid Cid

Penn State seems to have made some type of deal with the devil during their last time out to pull out the win against Illinois. This is probably the win that pushes them off the bubble and into the field. Although losing to Iowa could still blow up the dream.

What's amazing about Illinois is that it took them over 65 minutes of play against Penn State before they attempted a freethrow... they went the entire game in Champagne without a single attempt, and then five minutes into the second half last night, before they went to the line! Then, they missed both, so they actually went another minute before actually MAKING a freethrow against the Nittany Lions. Crazy....

The Big Ten is starting to look like more and more of a mess, as we get down to the last weekend of regular season play... Nobody, other than the top three, are locks to make the tournament. Teams 4-8 are all on the bubble, and have work left, as far as I'm concerned. Even the Northwestern(currently 9th in the conference) have been mentioned in recent "tournament resume" talks, on the Big Ten network as well as ESPN. :wacko: After starting 0-4 in conference play, the Wildcats have reeled off 8 wins in their last 13 games, including road wins at Purdue and Michigan State. They also handled Florida State in the BT-ACC Challenge, and have a handfull of quality losses, if there is such a thing, losing at Butler and PSU by four points each, and at home to Illinois and Purdue by a combined three points. I still think they're a long way from getting in, but if they can somehow knock off Ohio State this weekend on the road (which would in turn eliminate OSU in my opinion), then win a couple of BT tournament games, I think they'd have a shot.

The others (WISC, OSU, MIN, MICH, and PSU) all probably need to win another two games, between the final game of the season and the conference tournament. Penn State, whose overall resume isn't as impressive as some of the others, may have the best shot simply because they now have a 10-7 conference record, with a road win against Michigan State and a sweep of Illinois. A win at Iowa this weekend would make them a lock, IMO, finishing at 11-7 in conference. A loss, however, would force them back into that group at 9-9/10-8 that has work left to be done in the conference tournament. Wisconsin SHOULD win their final game in conference (vs. IND), but the others are all fighting for the post-season lives... MICH @ MIN on Saturday, and NW @ OSU on Sunday in addition to the PSU/Iowa game. I'm still speculating that only six of these teams actually make the dance, which means the games this weekend could be what ultimately eliminates 2-3 of the others.

On a sidenote, Xavier sure looked like the class of the A-10 conference last night, handling Dayton from start to finish. I know Dayton beat them the first time, but I certainly see Xavier as the stronger team come tournament time. I think they could easily reach the Sweet 16 again, and possibly go even further... they look to be a team with a lot of depth and athleticism, but it seems that they're a little lost without their point guard, Lavender, from last year. If they figure out who's going to handle the ball, and who their scorers are, rather than just having a bunch of guys who are a combination of both, I think they'll be tough to beat.

UA shat the bed last night at home vs CAL on Lute Olsen night no less- absolutely terrible performance. They are being coached by a former AAU coach and it shows - he is brutal and stuck with a zone D vs the best 3 point shooting team in the country, solid coaching Russ Pennell.

This team with a legit coach would have 4-5 more wins easy - Rick Pitino come on down.

Stanford Sat is a MUST WIN obviously, and 2 wins in the tourney would solidify a spot in the big dance.

24 straight years in the NCAA tournament under Lute Olsen, and outstanding achievement....... is starting to look like it will could come to an end

wow - Joey Brackets has 8!! Big 10 teams dancing- unreal. I know conferences are not supposed to play a role in being selected but cmon.........

I watch a TON of college hoops and the Big 10 is not a good product this year. I mean Ill is the 3rd best team in the league!! and they are the definition of a mediocre ball club......... and would be sub .500 in the BE or ACC......

I mean just putting their 2 best - MSU and Purdue up against the 2 top teams from other conferences, they are getting a beatdown........

and PSU, MINNY, OSU, WISC, MICH????

seriously no on can convince me that the above teams are better squads than the likes on the outside looking in right now:

Providence

Arizona

VA Tech,

Miami FL

GTown

SD State

ND

before you all claim Big 10 bias - I call it like I see it - the Pac 10 and SEC are down as well this

8/11 is just a flat out joke - and I guess a by-product of A) Pac 10 and SEC being down and :wacko: the ACC and Big East beating the chit out of each other

Edited by wildcat2334

wow - Joey Brackets has 8!! Big 10 teams dancing- unreal. I know conferences are not supposed to play a role in being selected but cmon.........

I watch a TON of college hoops and the Big 10 is not a good product this year. I mean Ill is the 3rd best team in the league!! and they are the definition of a mediocre ball club......... and would be sub .500 in the BE or ACC......

I mean just putting their 2 best - MSU and Purdue up against the 2 top teams from other conferences, they are getting a beatdown........

and PSU, MINNY, OSU, WISC, MICH????

seriously no on can convince me that the above teams are better squads than the likes on the outside looking in right now:

Providence

Arizona

VA Tech,

Miami FL

GTown

SD State

ND

before you all claim Big 10 bias - I call it like I see it - the Pac 10 and SEC are down as well this

8/11 is just a flat out joke - and I guess a by-product of A) Pac 10 and SEC being down and :D the ACC and Big East beating the chit out of each other

The problem with all of these prognosticators is that they forget that not every conference favorite is going to win their respective tournament. And when they don't, some of them will still get in. What happens if someone other than Xavier, Dayton, or RI wins the A-10 tournament, which is very possible? Does the conference get three or four bids, or does a team like Minnesota get in at the expense of a Dayton/Rhode Island in that scenario? The other thing that I laugh at is all of the analysts saying that "So-and-so should get in if they win a conference tournament game or two." Last time I checked, most of these bubble teams are playing EACH OTHER in the first/second rounds of the conference tournaments (or if they're in the Big East, they're playing Pitt/UCONN/Louisville in the second round), so they're not all gonna get a W or two in their conference tournaments. There will be somewhere in the range of 3-5 spots taken because of upsets in mid-major conference tournaments, and it's going to cost teams from the bigger conferences, especially the Big 10 (because there is such a cluster between teams 4-9). I still think they get six teams, when it's all said and done.

And, to answer your question in bold, I'm guessing it would be impossible to "convince" you that it's the case, but I can certainly tell you that the teams you listed have done absolutely nothing to prove that they're any better than a middle-of-the-pack team in any major conference... Big Ten, Pac-10, Big-East, whatever. Set your personal dislike for the Big 10 aside, and you'll be able to see that the conference as a whole has held their own against the other major conferences. They've pretty much dominated the Big 12, gotten a few wins (and a few ugly losses) against the ACC and Big East, and they really haven't played the Pac-10 or SEC enough to tell much of anything. You're right about one thing, though... the Big East and ACC are the cream of the crop. That said, the Big Ten has done OK (not great, but OK) against both of them. I think the thing that makes the Big Ten somewhat unique (and the Pac 10 and SEC might be in the same boat) is that they don't have a definite powerhouse team this year. All three conferences are fairly balanced, with a bunch of teams that I could see making a Sweet 16 run, but I don't really see any of them having a team that could reach the Final Four without it being a bit of a surprise. All of the other conferences have teams that are expected to reach the FF... Oklahoma, Carolina, UConn, Pitt, etc.

One question for you... Nothing personal, but why is it that you always feel the need to emphasize how much basketball you watch? I'm fairly certain that most who post in this thread watch a ton, and nobody (to my knowledge) has ever doubted that you do, so why continue to say the same thing, over and over again? It seems like a sign of insecurity, or something. Personally, I think it's safe to say that I watch as much or more college basketball than anyone here at the Huddle, but I don't feel the need to remind everyone of it any chance I get. Relax... Everyone here appreciates/respects your input... you obviously watch a lot of basketball, both NCAA and NBA... Nobody here is saying that you don't. :wacko:

A little sidenote on the MN Gophers... They were VERY fortunate to beat Wisconsin the other night. The frustrating thing about watching MN and being a Gopher fan is that they go through some serious stretches where they can not find a way to get the ball in the basket. Defensively, they're one of the top teams in the country... They held the Badgers to 16 points in the first half. However, offensively, they're an embarassment at times. Perfect example... They actually had a sequence where their two big freshmen both missed wide open dunks on the same play. I've seen about five missed dunks all year that were as embarassing as those were, yet they had two within 10 seconds of each other, by guys who are both 6'10". :wacko: They trailed by 5 with two minutes to go, only to have their leading scorer (who Tubby brought off the bench for the first time in weeks) score the final 10 points of the game, giving them a 5-point win. Ugly, defensive battle between two teams that are clearly much better on defense than they are on offense.

the only reason I say I watch alot of hoops is bc I don't think there many in here that watch games in other parts of the country, I could be wrong..........

I don't want to give off the impression I am blindly bashing the Big 10 like I do in football :wacko:

nothing insecure about it - I just feel that I have seen enough of most of these teams to comment on them and I think my eyeball test is pretty good.

hey, if you Big 10 homers really believe there are 8 NCAA tournament-worthy teams, more power to you.

I just think the conference is just not playing at a high level all around

alot of ball still to be played in the conference tourneys.....

the only reason I say I watch alot of hoops is bc I don't think there many in here that watch games in other parts of the country, I could be wrong..........

I don't want to give off the impression I am blindly bashing the Big 10 like I do in football :wacko:

nothing insecure about it - I just feel that I have seen enough of most of these teams to comment on them and I think my eyeball test is pretty good.

hey, if you Big 10 homers really believe there are 8 NCAA tournament-worthy teams, more power to you.

I just think the conference is just not playing at a high level all around

alot of ball still to be played in the conference tourneys.....

Fair enough... As I've stated before, I'm a MN fan, not a Big 10 fan. If the Big Ten receives 8 bids, I will be just as appalled as you will be... I just don't see any way that happens. I'll stick to my prediction that they'll get six, give or take one. :D Any less than five, or more than seven, would be a crime, in my opinion. Like I said, though, at this point in the season, there's not really a lot to distinguish between the likes of Penn State, OSU, Wisconsin, Minnesota, and even Northwestern. They're all so close, that it's going to come down to who beats who this weekend, as well as in the conf. tournament.

Ironically, I'm a pretty big fan of two of the teams that you mentioned earlier... Arizona and Georgetown. Growing up, there weren't nearly as many Gopher games on TV (I listened to the rest on the radio), so I couldn't help but follow certain teams that were on TV all the time... particularly AZ and G'Town. I'd love to see them both get in, but I think it would take a near miracle for that to happen at this point. They were both in similar situations six weeks ago... A couple of very quality wins out of conference, but started really slow in conference play, and needed to play nearly perfect down the stretch to make a bid for the NCAA tournament. From that point on is where they differ... The Wildcats turned things around, while Georgetown did not. The Hoyas simply didn't get it done this year, in games within their conference against "like" opponents. Throw out the big three (Pitt, UConn, and Louisville), and the Hoyas were still only 5-9 against the rest of the Big East. Against the teams in 4th-10th place in the conference, they're only 3-7, and against the five teams who are below them in the standings, they're a mediocre 2-2. In other words, they didn't really do well against any group of teams within their conference... they lost to the good, the bad, AND the ugly. They DID get a couple of very nice wins against UConn and Memphis very early in the year, but that is going to be heavily overshadowed by the fact that they couldn't beat the likes of Seton Hall and St. John's when it mattered most, in "must-win" games. I think Georgetown is NIT-bound for sure, unless they somehow make the final of the Big East championship (or win the whole thing). Having a high pre-season ranking and playing in the best/biggest conference in the nation will only get you so far... you still have to win games.

Arizona, like Georgetown, had a couple of nice wins early, beating both Kansas and Gonzaga... not quite as impressive as Memphis/UConn, but nice nonetheless. They're definitely a team of streaks this year... Started out 2-5 in conference play, but when they needed to start winning, they did so in a furious fashion, knocking off the likes of UCLA, USC, Washington, and WSU. Lately, though, they seem to have slumped again, losing four straight. I think they've certainly got a much better shot than Georgetown, but they need to beat Stanford and then probably win at least one conference tournament game (which very well might be against ASU, who wouldn't necessarily NEED to win the game to get in, whereas Arizona probably would).

I've watched both teams about 7-10 times each this year... Georgetown seems to have an identity crisis of sorts. A lot of decent players, but nobody really seems to step up as their primary guy in crunch-time. You're absolutely right about AZ... there's no way that team SHOULD be on the bubble right now. Their biggest issue is their coach, which in turn leads to them playing undisciplined at times, giving away games that they could easily win.

Minnesota may have played their way out of the dance today... double-digit second half lead against the Wolverines, and they lose by three. Westbrook hit a three with under five seconds remaining to tie it, but Tubby had called time-out just before the shot went up... that hurt. Either way, they've had plenty of chances to secure a position in the tournament. In my opinion, protecting home court against teams you should beat is a must if you want to play in post-season. The other thing that is important is key wins on the road (or neutral court), and other than the Louisville game early on, Minnesota just didn't have enough of those type of wins. They're sitting in the 8-spot right now, which could mean a rematch with Michigan in the first round of the BT tournament. They need to at least win that game to have a shot, I believe.

My top 24 as of today:

#1 seeds - Pitt, UNC, Oklahome, UConn

#2 seeds - Louisville, Memphis, Duke, Michigan State

#3 seeds - Wake, Kansas, LSU, Nova

#4 seeds - Washington, Xavier, Clemson, Marquette

#5 seeds - Missouri, Purdue, Gonzaga, UCLA

#6 seeds - ASU, Butler, Illinois, and a toss-up between BYU, FSU, Syracuse, etc......

I don't see the top four changing at all, unless we see one of those teams go one-and-done in their tournament, while someone like Louisville/Memphis cruises through theirs. I see a lot of possible "movement" in the 3-5 seeds, however, depending on what happens next week. Still about a dozen teams that could play their way in/out of the dance, depending on what they do in the next 7-8 days.

I'm an alum and all, and super pumped, so forgive me for giving props to the Washington Huskies and their first outright Pac-10 Championship. Not since the final four team of 1953 has a UW team won a regular season conference championship (which was then the Pacific Coast Conference, and not the Pac-8 or Pac-10). Crazy squad picked to finish 5th by the media pre-season. Really improved squad over the season and very interested to see how they stack up against some of the top competition in the nation this time around.

I'm an alum and all, and super pumped, so forgive me for giving props to the Washington Huskies and their first outright Pac-10 Championship. Not since the final four team of 1953 has a UW team won a regular season conference championship (which was then the Pacific Coast Conference, and not the Pac-8 or Pac-10). Crazy squad picked to finish 5th by the media pre-season. Really improved squad over the season and very interested to see how they stack up against some of the top competition in the nation this time around.

Great season and a fantastic accomplishment for this group. Lorenzo Romar has to be given strong consideration for College coach of the year. Dentmon is the "Comeback" player of the year and Isiah should be the freshman of the year. And what can you say about Brockman ..... great work ethic, fantastic team player and just a beast on the boards. His contributions on this team truly won't be felt until next year. If the Huskies make it to the Pac-10 Title game I see them as a 3 or 4 seed with the ability to get to the sweet 16.

The best Pac 10 team this year is Wash.. mainly plaing clutch ball in a competitive conference when almost each and every game was on the line. I'll bet on this team every time for a win, beyond the top 6 or so teams in the nation.

If the Huskies make it to the Pac-10 Title game I see them as a 3 or 4 seed with the ability to get to the sweet 16.

I think they're a #4 seed regardless of whether they lose to Stanford or Oregon St. on Thursday. They could be as high as a #2 if they run the table.

I think they're a #4 seed regardless of whether they lose to Stanford or Oregon St. on Thursday. They could be as high as a #2 if they run the table.

Yea, if they run the table and/or competitively play in the Pac 10 championship game, you'd think the committee would consider them a top 10 team with a #2/3 seed.

Mike Singletary, not even a starter for Texas Tech, scores 29 consecutive points during a 9-minute stretch of the second half.

The Red Raiders trailed Texas A&M 60-50 with 9 1/2 minutes left when his run started, led 79-78 by the time it was done with 45 seconds left in the game, to cap a huge comeback in the B12 tourney.

Edited by godtomsatan