[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

College Bball

Timmypg

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to admit, I always liked Herb Sendek. I'm glad to see him having success. He's only going to get better.

Dude got a completely raw deal at NC St. That fan base baffles me. The funny thing is that, after they ran him out of town, they start going after guys who already had better gigs. Calapari? Barnes? These guys were coaching top 10 programs. Why would they want to coach the 3rd best program in it's own area code? Especially considering how they treated a guy who'd just taken them to the more consecutive tourneys than all but 5 or so other schools had gone to (at least in terms of active streaks).

Well folks, we're gonna see how deep UCONN's bench really is. They lost their second leading scorer, Jerome Dyson to a torn lateral meniscucs in his knee. They are saying indefinitely, leaving open a chance that he returns, but I seriously doubt that he'll be able to log serious minutes again this season.

Well folks, we're gonna see how deep UCONN's bench really is. They lost their second leading scorer, Jerome Dyson to a torn lateral meniscucs in his knee. They are saying indefinitely, leaving open a chance that he returns, but I seriously doubt that he'll be able to log serious minutes again this season.

My chef at work is a hugh UConn fan and assured me that the loss is certainly significant. On the other hand, he's been going on about some Freshman SG that hasn't been getting as many minutes as he deserves. Is this true? That and the fact that their PG is pretty good at creating his own points and could help take up the slack.

Does this sound like a fair assessment?

Bummer. While as a UNC fan, I was naturally beginning to anticipate a confrontation with UCONN somewhere down the line, I hate for any team to be hurt by injury. We've certainly had our taste of it this year.

My chef at work is a hugh UConn fan and assured me that the loss is certainly significant. On the other hand, he's been going on about some Freshman SG that hasn't been getting as many minutes as he deserves. Is this true? That and the fact that their PG is pretty good at creating his own points and could help take up the slack.

Does this sound like a fair assessment?

Kind of accurate. I'm guessing that your buddy is talking about Donnell Beverly but he's a sophmore. I don't think he's going to see a lot of playing time if only because he doesn't have enough game experience. I would expect to see Stanley Robinson and Craig Austrie pick up the slack which means that Calhoun will just shorten the bench a bit. The biggest loss will be on the defensive end because Dyson's a great on the ball defender.

We do have a spectacular freshman in Kemba Walker (McD's All American) but Calhoun has stated that he loves the energy he brings off the bench. He's been getting good minutes so far this year and has fit into the system very well. I happen to agree with Calhoun in that it is great to have someone that can come off the bench and just light things up. I don't think he's going to step into Dyson's role.

On the other hand, the PG A.J. Price (yes, he of the laptop scandal a couple of years back) really is capable of putting up 20 a night. Think of him as a poor man's Allen Iverson. The thing about UCONN is that they've been totally balanced in scoring this year with 4 players averaging double figures of which Dyson was one of them. I don't see Thabeet scoring more unless Calhoun wants to start adding some scoring numbers for POY consideration. I would expect that the additional points will come from Adrien or Price.

As an aside Calhoun has been making a LOT of noise about Thabeet being considered as POY simply because of what he does defensively. You really have to watch a game to understand how much he affects what the other team does on the floor. By the second half of most games you can see the opposing players not even attempt to shoot in the lane or to look up to find him and blow a play. It is really quite something to watch how he gets in their heads. Of course we know that POY is all about stats and Thabeet just can't post up anyone so he won't be seriously considered.

Word is that Austrie is going to start in place of Dyson. Austrie is a solid if unspectacular player. He's more of a combo PG/SG. He has a good handle, sees the floor well, and is a decent shooter. However, he's very deliberate in what he does. A jack of all trades, master of none. The real epitome of a team player, he was a starter his freshman season at PG, got moved back to the bench half way through the year and has slipped in and out of the starting lineup at both PG and SG in his four years. He has never complained once about his roles or what he's been called on to do.

FWIW, UCONN was 8-1 with Dyson out of the lineup last year when he failed a drug test.

And again....despite last week advancing up in rankings on one poll while dropping off the other.

strange year in the Pac 10, no doubt- looking more and more like they could get 6 in the NCAA's which would be great

UW, UCLA, ASU, CAL, UA are all but IN - USC could be the 6th

UW is in 1st place, but in reality i think they are probably the 3rd or 4th best team in the league behind

UCLA, ASU, CAL, and I think UA is peaking and a better squad at the moment...............

pretty balanced league

Sucky news for a truly special squad.

Kind of accurate. I'm guessing that your buddy is talking about Donnell Beverly but he's a sophmore. I don't think he's going to see a lot of playing time if only because he doesn't have enough game experience. I would expect to see Stanley Robinson and Craig Austrie pick up the slack which means that Calhoun will just shorten the bench a bit. The biggest loss will be on the defensive end because Dyson's a great on the ball defender.

We do have a spectacular freshman in Kemba Walker (McD's All American) but Calhoun has stated that he loves the energy he brings off the bench. He's been getting good minutes so far this year and has fit into the system very well. I happen to agree with Calhoun in that it is great to have someone that can come off the bench and just light things up. I don't think he's going to step into Dyson's role.

On the other hand, the PG A.J. Price (yes, he of the laptop scandal a couple of years back) really is capable of putting up 20 a night. Think of him as a poor man's Allen Iverson. The thing about UCONN is that they've been totally balanced in scoring this year with 4 players averaging double figures of which Dyson was one of them. I don't see Thabeet scoring more unless Calhoun wants to start adding some scoring numbers for POY consideration. I would expect that the additional points will come from Adrien or Price.

As an aside Calhoun has been making a LOT of noise about Thabeet being considered as POY simply because of what he does defensively. You really have to watch a game to understand how much he affects what the other team does on the floor. By the second half of most games you can see the opposing players not even attempt to shoot in the lane or to look up to find him and blow a play. It is really quite something to watch how he gets in their heads. Of course we know that POY is all about stats and Thabeet just can't post up anyone so he won't be seriously considered.

Word is that Austrie is going to start in place of Dyson. Austrie is a solid if unspectacular player. He's more of a combo PG/SG. He has a good handle, sees the floor well, and is a decent shooter. However, he's very deliberate in what he does. A jack of all trades, master of none. The real epitome of a team player, he was a starter his freshman season at PG, got moved back to the bench half way through the year and has slipped in and out of the starting lineup at both PG and SG in his four years. He has never complained once about his roles or what he's been called on to do.

FWIW, UCONN was 8-1 with Dyson out of the lineup last year when he failed a drug test.

He was talking about Kemba Walker

strange year in the Pac 10, no doubt- looking more and more like they could get 6 in the NCAA's which would be great

UW is in 1st place, but in reality i think they are probably the 3rd or 4th best team in the league behind

UCLA, ASU, CAL, and I think UA is peaking and a better squad at the moment...............

pretty balanced league

You can't be serious :wacko: ASU a better squad than the Huskies? The Huskies controlled the Devils on their home court and will beat Arizona when they visit next week. I personally feel that Cal and SC are better than both Arizona schools. IMO, the top Pac-10 teams are ....

UW

UCLA

CAL

USC

ASU

U of A

Edited by theprofessor

pretty balanced league

I don't know. The only teams to beat UW this year are Cal and Arizona. One of those was in 3OT. They beat ASU in Tempe, they beat UCLA at home. They are on pace to have 13 wins in conference this season.

I don't know. The only teams to beat UW this year are Cal and Arizona. One of those was in 3OT. They beat ASU in Tempe, they beat UCLA at home. They are on pace to have 13 wins in conference this season.

for sure- not much separation at all from 1-6, really. I like CAL, and I think UA is playing well at the moment and ASU with Harden poses some problems - the UW win @ASU looks nice so far.

for sure- not much separation at all from 1-6, really. I like CAL, and I think UA is playing well at the moment and ASU with Harden poses some problems - the UW win @ASU looks nice so far.

Yea, IMO, these 6 teams all have top 20ish talent but I'd have a hell of a hard time ranking them apart. And Arizona is in the process of pummeling UCLA right now. The Cats might be able to make a nice little run in the tourney; not sure why there record isn't better than it is; I've seen them play 3-4 games this year and they look impressive.

Dook is having some major confidence issues. They've lost 2 in a row and 4 of the last 6...

The ACC is wide open this year. BC gets another good win, and this should seal a bid for them IMO. Clemson and VT get bad losses this weekend. VT loses to UMD and Clemson to UVA.

:wacko:

The BC Jekyll and Hyde show continues!! Although, the team is definitely growing on me this year. They are very young (4 sophomores in the starting lineup). Rice has shown tremendous leadership and Trapani is the real deal. They may sneak two wins out of the big dance. Who knows?

Duke simply cannot guard a premier PG with one of their goofy white guys.

OK, so either Duke, in fact, doesn't have top 10 talent or K is not "way better than everyone else" at milking results out of his guys. But both of those statements can't be true. And I'm not just talking about this year.

See my "pet" theory. K is tired.

A HUGH game tonight between Pitt and UCONN. This game also could have #1 seed implications. This time is in Hartford, they do it again in PIttsburgh in two weeks. Then there is a potential matchup in the BE Tourney. Isn't the Big East fun? I would expect the usual back alley brawl between these two teams. This rivalry might not have the cache of UNC-Dook, but there is certainly no love lost between these two teams.

A HUGH game tonight between Pitt and UCONN. This game also could have #1 seed implications. This time is in Hartford, they do it again in PIttsburgh in two weeks. Then there is a potential matchup in the BE Tourney. Isn't the Big East fun? I would expect the usual back alley brawl between these two teams. This rivalry might not have the cache of UNC-Dook, but there is certainly no love lost between these two teams.

It could have #1 seed implications for Pitt, but UConn would have to completely tank down the stretch to lose a #1. Any thoughts that the ACC would get 2 is completely out the window. It looks like OU's gonna get one and UNC is in good shape for one. No other conference even has one team that's going to earn 1. Which means, even if UConn trips up down the stretch a bit, there's still one with their name on it.

I'm pretty sure you're right and I think there's a pride thing in the way as well. He's always been able to do it his way and refuses to evolve.

i think there is something to this - bc IMO coach K obviously is recruiting 1-2 studs(i.e. Singler/Henderson) and the rest are solid, not great players that he knows are a) coachable and :wacko: not jumping to the draft anytime soon. It is painfully obvious that this team is really not that talented and many nights is facing an uphill battle vs more talented, athletic teams. I mean a Scheyer/Paulus/Smith backcourt is just not goin to get it done vs the elite - not a chance.

I am a bit removed from ACC country- but it appears K is stubborn as hell and wants to make sure he proves to everyone how sick of a coach he is by coaching up these limited kids and getting them to overachieve.....

no one in their right mind can watch Dook and say they have top 10 talent