[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I'd like to brag a little bit about my nephew...

SteelBunz

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well.....I don't know, Skippy. And I'll ask him Saturday what his SAT or ACT scores are.....what areas of study he'd be interested in.

I was thinking Division III.....you know.....Mt. Union, Ohio Wesleyan, Baldwin-Wallace, Otterbein, Ohio Northern, Capital, Denison, Wittenberg.....etc. But it would have to be a full scholarship to most of those schools. Some are pretty expensive. He'll be in a work-study program to be sure. And I don't know what he'd like to major in either.

But.....I wouldn't rule him out in Division I at a smaller MAC school...maybe Kent State or Bowling Green or OU......would you? Maybe even Marshall. Akron, Cincy, Miami and even Toledo might be pretty stiff competition. And I certainly think it would be RARE if OSU took a look at a D-5 player seriously.

I don't know much about the Division II schools really.....Ashland, Central St. and Findlay around there. Except that I know Findlay is HUGH in hockey.

He's got some mad skills......but I don't think he's a BIG guy. He's tall enough to QB though.

I'm going to go vote again......lol. Keep voting you guys! :wacko:

Bunz. I tried to vote fore him, but it SEEMS you now have to register to vote?

I any case, no matter what happens, he already has memories of competition that most of us only dream about. He has already accomplished a LOT!

I would think that the local colleges would already be talking to him... no? If he's 6'2".... he IS even Div 1 material. Sounds like he has some speed, and can get yardage on the ground too. I wish him the best.... and tell this stuoid Irishman how I am suopposed to vote at that site! :wacko:

Well.....I don't know, Skippy. And I'll ask him Saturday what his SAT or ACT scores are.....what areas of study he'd be interested in.

I was thinking Division III.....you know.....Mt. Union, Ohio Wesleyan, Baldwin-Wallace, Otterbein, Ohio Northern, Capital, Denison, Wittenberg.....etc. But it would have to be a full scholarship to most of those schools. Some are pretty expensive. He'll be in a work-study program to be sure. And I don't know what he'd like to major in either.

Be aware that for a D-3 school, it would have to be an academic scholorship as atheltic scholorships are not permitted there.

Be aware that for a D-3 school, it would have to be an academic scholorship as atheltic scholorships are not permitted there.

Exactly. That is why I asked.

Did anyone make a good highlight film of him? Punch out some DVD's and start sending them off to the schools that he has interest in. Send his stats and a good resume along with it. Testimonial from his teachers on his character are also very good. If his coach or athletic director at his high school does not have any good contacts, (small school may not have any), then consider talking to some football coaches from some of the major high schools in the area. If his stats and play are sticking out, chance are they are aware of him a little anyway and it has always been my experience that coaches are willing to help when they think the cause needs help.

My boy got all his college connections from the coach of the high school that he beat in the championship. I know this coach and that helped but he went out of his way to make calls for my boy and put him on a very right track.

Awesome stuff Bunz, keep us updated on the status of the team from here on out. I'll keep voting until he's in the lead again.

Edited by Hat Trick

True, but, there are loopholes. When you go to a D3 school as an athlete, they will find ways to get you financial aid. At least, that is how it used to be 10 years ago.

Thank you BJ! There's a little piece of info I needed to know! I don't know WHY I didn't know that.......lol.

Skippy......great points! I'll find out Saturday if anyone has some film on the team and Ben. The team they are playing is a Catholic school that is a juggernaut in the division and reigning champ. Reminds me of our State championship back in '80 against Cincinnati Moeller. And guess who the coach of CM was.......Faust. He took a lot of those kids to Notre Dame with him.......lol. And he was a very nice man.......I was the sideline reporter/photographer for our news magazine and interviewed him. I was a bit sad that he didn't have a better run at ND.

Tressel's ties up in Youngstown/Warren are pretty well documented. I'm trying to get my cousin to drive over from Aurora.....he's the OSU alum who was on the '68 National Championship team and comes down for all those functions every year. He's a whiz at networking in those circles too! I love the suggestion of vignettes from his teachers and coaches. Great stuff Skip!

Loaf.....are you doing anything early Saturday evening? Game's at 7pm. I'd love to finally meet you. :D

I'll bring the hot coffee......you bring the flask! :wacko:

Come on......it isn't that far of a drive! You're in Chardon......right? PM me. :D

I know that's one way to bust through corporate glass ceilings but I haven't heard of it being used for a nephew's scholarship. Way to 'lay out' for him Bunz. :wacko:

Plus how do you type and perform at the same time. :D

Oh and the kid sounds like he is rather good. :D

I thought the same thing too. I hope he gets to bring home the championship!

My Saturday

Well......we had an all day rain event on Saturday......lol. Which meant driving in it.....and cheering in it. And for the teams.....playing in it. I started out early to get to my cousin's in Aurora by halftime of the OSU/ILL game.....visit.....talk some football and kitchen remodeling......lol. What a great visit!

Then my phone rings about 4pm......it's loaf!! He's bringing a friend ( :D ) and we're trying to figure out where to meet. Thank God his friend had GPS......lol.......after driving around and getting a bit lost......we made it to Gregory's Pub. This is the place I had in my head, but couldn't find.....I hadn't been there for a few years.....LOL. A true pub.....slate floors, dark timber. If it weren't for the TVs, you'd think you were in a little pub in a tiny town in Scotland or something.

What fun!! Meeting the infamous loaf! and his funny fraternity buddy, Nick! Loaf......I had a blast......thanks!! I'm just sorry I was so pressed for time! Thank you for the beers and the conversation.....you two were all my Cleveland cousins wrapped into two entities. I'd sort of forgotten how much I LOVE the culture up there! Neighborhoods are tightknit and the strong ethnicity blends so wonderfully up there in Cleveland. Columbus is such a watered down, sterile version of what a city should be.....I tend to forget.

Nick's story of a childhood neighbor tracking him down on his facebook page 30 years later really brought it home. I remember my cousins' neighbors in Lyndhurst almost as well as my own family......they came to Thanksgiving and all the family events. You have no way of knowing this.....but I've been thinking about family a lot in the last few months. You two gave me a new perspective.....thanks! :rofl:

Anyway......thanks for being so "neighborly"...LOL. And ANY time you are down here for anything......please give me a call!! :rofl:

And even though they both got TDs......it seems Addai was the better starter......hope you won your match anyway, hun!!

On to Warren G Harding HS, Mollenkopf Stadium and the D-5 Section 17 Championship game between The Kirtland Hornets (yeah) and the Youngston Ursuline Irish (booooo).....LOL. The rain changed to spitting snow on the way over.....oh geeze.....lol. Kirtland's side of the stadium was also the way the wind was blowing.....this.....is going to be an ugly game......LOL. Brought my hot coffee, rain gear, etc.....and thank God MrBunz had the foresight to dig out a stadium cushion.....good thinking hunny!! Too bad my sister in law didn't see I had a cup of hot coffee in my hand when she grabbed my arm and shook it hard, "I'm SO glad you're here!!" Coffee everywhere......LOL. Who cares...we're already soggy from the rain......LOL. This is going to be fun!

The Game

Kirtland kicks off.......onside kick!! They recover...and go down the field and score! OMG :wacko: . The Ursuline sideline was simply stunned! Extra point was MADE......they are kicking with the wind in the 1st quarter.......what a relief......LOL. They try another onside kick.......but this time, there seemed to be a blown call from the refs. Everyone on the Ursuline receiving team had apparently raised their hands as if to fair catch. But the ball fell to the ground and we recovered (beyond the 10 yards). But the refs threw a flag and said they "interfered with the fair catch".......Boooooooo.

About these two teams: Kirtland is pretty well-rounded. Most of the kids play both sides of the ball. A nice mix of passing, QB options and rushing. Couple nice runners on the team. But in this weather......their passing strength would not bode well down the stretch. The ball was very slick and the wind would tend to float the ball on passing situations. Ursuline, on the other hand, rushed during the year an average of 95% of the time. They had two 1000yd rushers.....and a kicker that was as big as most of the LBs at Ohio State.......I kid you not. And they were FAST. And 3-time defending champs I believe. Also...Catholic school...you know what that means......LOL. A little recruiting...brand new spiffy unis and all the trimmings every year. Come on.....it's Youngstown. :D

So Ursuline retains the ball at about the 50.....a couple rushes out on the edge later.....in the endzone. But MISSED the XP......whoa. The score was 6-7 and remained that way through the first half. Kirtland had 2 or 3 forays into the redzone that would end with fumbles of a slippery ball, or in one case......an INT in the endzone. Their last drive of the half got them to the 11 and they tried a Field Goal as time ran out.....no good......into the wind. But Ursuline couldn't get anything going either. Score remained 6-7 at the half. Break for Hot Chocolate.....LOL. In the meantime......I pointed out the scoreboard on a number of occasions......this was SUPPOSED to be a neutral site. But clearly it was not. Their nice new scoreboard would flash "D-FENSE" when Ursuline was on defense.....hmmmmm. :D

Second half....Ursuline gets the ball again after a 3 and out and drive down for a TD. 12-7......so they go for 2.....and we stopped them!! WOW. Kirtland drives down.....some nice passes......couple really nice reverses.....inside the 5. Fumble......recovered by Ursuline........UGH! Did I say the ball was slick?? First play for Ursuline after the fumble recovery......the ball was snapped over the head of their QB.....he runs after it in the endzone.....and kicks it out the back.....SAFETY!!! :smash:12-9 AND we get the ball! Back again in the RedZone.....another slippery ball.....lost fumble. Damn! But the defense stiffens and Ursuline has to punt on a 4th and 2 on the 30. And then......Kirtland shot through the line and blocked the punt!! :pokey: Ball inside the 10.....we go in for the score!! A beautiful pass!! 12-15......we're in the bad wind side.......so go for 2......Made it!! 12-17!!! With about 8 minutes to go!! OMG! :D

We are screaming our heads off........LOL. This really could be a reallife Hoosiers story unfolding!! Ursuline is totally frustrated......and you can see it. There must have been 5 or 6 personal fouls on them all game. Our kids really kept their cool out there......no cheap shots.....fabulous sportsmanship. Clock management is going to be key here. Ursuline has used all their timeouts.....we still have 2. We kick it away this time......nice kick! Ursuline chews up about 2 minutes......but has to punt. We have the ball at about the 30 with 6 minutes left. Just a couple first downs.....come on! We get called for illegal procedure or something.....now 1st and 15. We DO get a first down......but then have to punt on a 4th and 5.

3:00 to go......Ursuline returns the punt to about the 45. Couple plays later.......a nice little dump pass into the flat to their fastest RB. What a nice runner.......he makes everyone miss......TouchDown. :D18-17......they go for 2......and we stuff it. 1:30 left and 2 timeouts.....and after the punt.....we have to go about 70 yards for a TD. Bad wind side.......a FG would be iffy.....but let's just see.

In HS......clock still stops with a 1st down.......lol. We make a few of those.....couple nice passes and runs. They had a nice CB that batted a few down. We have about 40 yards to go.....38 seconds left. Ben is really getting harrassed in the pocket most of the game.......this is no different. Goes for his Tightend down the middle.......oh no......intercepted. :rofl:

Game ends......18-17.......Ursuline over Kirtland. Darnit! But........what a game!! I'm SURE Ursuline had NO idea the game would be so tough. And we held their leading rushers to their lowest total yards for the year. The weather was more of a factor than you would hope in a game like this.......but it played good and bad for both sides really. Kirtland finishes runner-up......and played a helluva game!! :slap:

Came down to turnovers really......we had too many. But it wasn't that Ursuline scored off the TOs......it was more that our TOs were in the red zone.....shooting ourselves in the foot a bit. But to hold this team to 18 points and almost pull out a win.....just fantastic!!

Ben did win the 2008 Northeast Ohio High School Player of the Year BIG congrats, Ben!! Really great year hun!! :D

My thanks to you all for letting me share......and thank you to all that voted last week! Damn kickers......LOL. :guns:

Edited by SteelBunz

sorry Ben lost.

I won my game as I started Addai

Awesome finally meeting you!

LOL.....glad you put Addai in and won.

My advice seemed to be off this weekend...I pulled Gage at the last minute in a couple leagues. :wacko:

I should never second-guess myself......LOL. Awesome to meet you too, hun...don't be a stranger, loaf! :D

Edited by SteelBunz

OMG......Puddy's writing a book too. :wacko:

Sorry this post was so long. :D

Oops. Had to run off to a meeting and closed the browser before finishing.

I think I was going to say nice story and congrats to Ben on the award.

Doesn't even qualify as a short story.