[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Is the Mall dead?

driveby

The outdoor mall concept has done really well in Seattle. The one-story suburban malls are converting to giant walk-around places.

Not to mention that malls are like other companies and no longer in the hands of local developers but properties are being accumulated by holding companies. Like Westfield, the Australian company that operates 60 malls in 12 states. All the ones in this area have gone through a significant redesign in the last couple of years.

almost 20 yrs in retail with almost 10 in multi store management...so I know what the end result it out in the field

I take it you would be (have been?) what we call the Ops guy? Our Ops people are somewhat compensated based on same-store comp sales increases, so anything we do that might cannibalize existing store sales is scrutinzed heavily by Ops. Now if it's a same-store relo that figures to show a nice increase.... well... that's another story. Problem for me is that I've gotta do both, and more new than relos, so I do find myself doing battle with the Ops side from time to time.

You're in another capacity these days no?

I only shop at Goodwill. I just bought an almost brand new Tommy Bahama silk shirt for $7 and a Marmot waterproof/breathable windshell for $8.

The problem is thrift stores are now getting all the press so the stores are getting really busy. Selection isn't as good and I have to wait in line for a dressing room. :wacko: I now have to go every other day to find the good stuff.

Gotcha - maybe it's Whomper I'm thinking of. Doesn't he do something with fabrics that he works with retailers on?

Yes. I sell fabric to clothing manufacturers who in turn sell to retailers. I work directly with retailers just on the design end then they allocate production to vendors that purchase fabric from me for garment production. One of the hughest problems with this whole crash of retailers is this. Perfect example is I believe Mervyns filed chapter 11. They are now going to either not pay for or offer peanuts to the manufactures who made clothing for them that they have in in their possesion already. So now Mervyns (in the holiday season) will offer these clothes at very marked down pricing which will severly hurt 'Healthy " companies like Kohls etc. So the Manufacturer gets screwed and so does the competition of the failing company until they are truly dead and buried. When that happens they may see some positive residuals.

Edited by whomper

I like to describe my suburban neighborhood as being "between the mall... and the other mall."

The big new mall is doing pretty good. I was there last weekend.

But the small, single-story old mall has 2 of it's 4 end-cap stores vacant, and it's totally ghetto. I went in there recently because it's the closest Radio Shack to my house (and I'm a nerd), and just walking through the mall made me want to run. Every single store in there is selling the same worthless crap. Hats, mobile phones, bling kiosk, slut clothes... hats, mobile phones, bling kiosk, slut clothes.... hats, mobile phones, bling kiosk, slut clothes. That place is going down.

I think there's one mall like that near every town. I believe it's where our friends from south of the border like to shop.

• 2 weeks later...
its already crashing.....we are getting inundated with calls from banks, asking if we are interested in hotels for 50 cents on the dollar.

Some great buying opportunities...banks don't want to be landlords or real estate owners.

The commerical crash will reek further havoc on the economy, but put some significant dollars into the pockets of those primed to take advantage of it.

swammi, wondering if youre seeing this. have a biz assoc. in arizona that buys, develops hotels, malls, etc. he has been trying to buy foreclosed properties and the banks wont sell. he is hearing that the banks want to keep as much crap on their balance sheets in the hopes of getting money from the govt!!!