[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Suspended...

LayLow

NFL suspended Deuce McAllister, Saints DE Charles Grant, Saints DE Will Smith, Vikings DT Kevin Williams, Vikings DT Pat Williams, and Texans LS Brian Pittman for the final four games of the regular season for violating the league's steroid and related substances policy.

Good thing Deuce already set the franchise record for scores because his NFL career may sadly be over. Pierre Thomas and Reggie Bush will continue to carry the load for New Orleans. The news primarily effects opposing rushers of Minnesota: Kevin Smith, Tim Hightower, and Michael Turner the next three weeks. Hugely upgrade their matchups. One or more of the players may seek legal action to delay the suspensions; we should find out the result of that appeal soon.

How about who wasted an earlier pick on Plax? 10th round for a dominating defense is a great pick imo. I like getting them anywhere after the 8th round.

Stats wise they may be better because they'll be on the field more. Jared Allen, Winfield, Madieu Williams will have to turn up their play.

Luckily I grabbed the Vikings defense off the WW after the owner who drafted them early (maybe 6th or 7th round) got impatient. My league scoring awards points for low yardage (vikings are only 7th in overall points) and it adds up pretty quickly so most teams carry 2 DSTs. The WW has trash left over and I was planning on starting the Vikes vs. Detroit in my first round. Luckily, I ended up with the top seed so I'm playing a weaker opponent but it could still end up costing me if the Vikings DST puts up 4-6 points instead of 15-20 against Detroit. Anyway (I'm sure you guys don't care about my personal league) I could see how taking an early pick and then having a great matchup could all go to pot during the playoffs if MN can't stop the run effectively. I wouldn't call it a waste...its more like having a great player get injured the week before the playoffs start. Its not a "wasted" pick but it does suck.

Are you talking about this year? In my leagues they're 9th overall and 10th overall. :wacko:

I know I'm probably going to regret asking this, but why in the Seven Hells would I be talking about last year's MIN team (or any other year's for that matter) given the subject?

I know I'm probably going to regret asking this, but why in the Seven Hells would I be talking about last year's MIN team (or any other year's for that matter) given the subject?

I know I'm probably going to regret asking this, but how in the Seven Hells are the Vikings 2nd overall this year in your league?

Edited by SheikYerbuti

I know I'm probably going to regret asking this, but how in the Seven Hells are the Vikings 2nd overall this year in your league?

In one league I have, they are up to 7th overall but that's the highest I've seen them. BB must have some unique scoring in that league (maybe extra points for low rushing yards or something).

Anyway, you two get a long or I'll stop this car right now. :wacko:

Number of Punt Return TDs 6 points each

Number of Kickoff Return TDs 6 points each

Fumble Recoveries (from Opponent) 1 point each

Interceptions Caught 1 point each

Number of Blocked Field Goal TDs 6 points each

Blocked Field Goals 3 points each

Number of Blocked Punt TDs 6 points each

Blocked Punts 3 points each

Blocked Extra Points 1 point each

Sacked a QB 1 point each

Safeties 5 points each

Offensive Points Against 0 10 pts

Offensive Points Against 2-6 7 pts

Offensive Points Against 7-13 5 pts

Offensive Points Against 14-20 3 pts

Offensive Points Against >20 0 pts

Number of Defensive TDs 6 points each

Edited by Bronco Billy

Number of Punt Return TDs 6 points each

Number of Kickoff Return TDs 6 points each

Fumble Recoveries (from Opponent) 1 point each

Interceptions Caught 1 point each

Number of Blocked Field Goal TDs 6 points each

Blocked Field Goals 3 points each

Number of Blocked Punt TDs 6 points each

Blocked Punts 3 points each

Blocked Extra Points 1 point each

Sacked a QB 1 point each

Safeties 5 points each

Offensive Points Against 0 10 pts

Offensive Points Against 2-6 7 pts

Offensive Points Against 7-13 5 pts

Offensive Points Against 14-20 3 pts

Offensive Points Against >20 0 pts

Number of Defensive TDs 6 points each

Maybe they've had a few more safeties and blocked punts/field goals then the other teams. Those are the only ones I see that look different. Was it the Minnesota game when Orlovsky ran out of the back of the end zone? I fail to see how a safety is one point less than a defensive touchdown. I'd say most leagues do not award that many points (all my leagues have always been 2 points for a safety).

I fail to see how a safety is one point less than a defensive touchdown. I'd say most leagues do not award that many points (all my leagues have always been 2 points for a safety).

A safety can actually be more devastating than a D TD. The D scores 2 pts AND then the team's O gets the ball back in good field position after the free kick from the 20.

A safety is a gigantic play in the course of a football game - getting both the score & the ball - and I've always wondered why FF leagues don't reward them more than the same as a 2 pt conversion after a TD (some leagues reward them less than sacks or fumble recoveries). They certainly have much greater value than 2 pts in a normal FF league.

A safety can actually be more devastating than a D TD. The D scores 2 pts AND then the team's O gets the ball back in good field position after the free kick from the 20.

A safety is a gigantic play in the course of a football game - getting both the score & the ball - and I've always wondered why FF leagues don't reward them more than the same as a 2 pt conversion after a TD (some leagues reward them less than sacks or fumble recoveries).

So a 99 yard kickoff return for a TD is a gigantic play in the course of a football game (momentum wise). As is a field goal block that is run back for a TD (a real 9-10 point swing instead of a "possible" swing with a safety). Or a sack on 4th down during a last minute drive in the 4th quarter is a more gigantic play than a sack with 25 minutes left to play when a team is probably going to punt. I wouldn't agree that it means we should give extra points. Offensively a 1 yard QB sneak scores 6 points the same way a Reggie Bush swing pass that dodges 5 people and beats someone to the corner scores 6 points. To me its just points. Placing extra value on "gigantic" plays because of momentum reeks of just tweaking rules in an attempt to make it more interesting. I don't really have a problem with it but asserting that they certainly have greater value in "normal" leagues seems a bit over the top.

They certainly have much greater value than 2 pts in a normal FF league.

[bill Clinton] Depends on the definition of "normal" [/bill Clinton]. We can try to check if more leagues score more than 2 points for a safety but I think you are wrong and the average league just leaves them alone. I'd assume you'd want to argue about it so you can post a thread with a poll if you want to check. I'm a little apathetic today so its up to you.

Maybe they've had a few more safeties and blocked punts/field goals then the other teams. Those are the only ones I see that look different. Was it the Minnesota game when Orlovsky ran out of the back of the end zone? I fail to see how a safety is one point less than a defensive touchdown. I'd say most leagues do not award that many points (all my leagues have always been 2 points for a safety).

My league awards 5 for safeties as well. Primarily because of scarcity and the fact that TOs are worth 3. Maybe D/ST TDs are undervalued by comparison or maybe safeties should only be worth 4. However, when I proposed raising safeties from 2 to 5 in my league, the rationale was that they should be worth more than a TO.

None the less, and back to the point. Anyone who drafts a D as early as the 6th or 7th round deserves what they get. I've done the research and there is simply no consistent correlation between either last year's top Ds or those considered top Ds going into the season and what the top ones end up being.

I compared both previous years and top 3 ADP for 5 straight years seeing how many finished in the top 10 the following season. The odds of doing so? 1 in 3. When you consider that there's about 30 teams in the league, that means having a 1 in 3 chance of finishing in the top 1/3 of the league means you're exactly average.

The moral of the story? The correct time to take a D is either when you have absolutely no reason to believe any of the position players available will do better than any other or in back to back rounds before the last one where you take your kicker. In a 12 team or larger league, round 10 seems to fit the first criteria.

Edited by detlef

A safety is a gigantic play in the course of a football game - getting both the score & the ball - and I've always wondered why FF leagues don't reward them more than the same as a 2 pt conversion after a TD (some leagues reward them less than sacks or fumble recoveries). They certainly have much greater value than 2 pts in a normal FF league.

I have always asked myself this same question. Unfortunately, Ive never answered myself.

Explain to me again how my drafting of the 2nd best FF scoring D in the 10th round was a mistake. Is MIN's D just going to quit playing now?

Someone took him in the 8th in mine. Point being, if they sit the wiliams, you probably won't be happy with their output from here on out.

Do you always have a dong up your arse? AIF

Someone took him in the 8th in mine. Point being, if they sit the wiliams, you probably won't be happy with their output from here on out.

I thought the real point is that the Vikes are the #2 Defense in exactly 1 league on earth, and Bronco drafted them in it.

I wasted a high pick in SEVERAL leagues on either San Diego or Minn and SD has been waived off all my rosters since then. Meanwhile Pitt, Balt, NYG were all drafted WAY later then I took SD or MINN...NEVER AGAIN!!!!!!!!!! I will never again draft the top ranked DF they usually suck anyway. Every year Baltimore has been ranked high the last 4 years they have sucked and the years they were not ranked high they go undrafted sometimes and end up being great. NEVER AGAIN!

I wasted a high pick in SEVERAL leagues on either San Diego or Minn and SD has been waived off all my rosters since then. Meanwhile Pitt, Balt, NYG were all drafted WAY later then I took SD or MINN...NEVER AGAIN!!!!!!!!!! I will never again draft the top ranked DF they usually suck anyway. Every year Baltimore has been ranked high the last 4 years they have sucked and the years they were not ranked high they go undrafted sometimes and end up being great. NEVER AGAIN!

Wow, bloom is seriously falling off the rose here. When Henry Muto is taking Ds early, there's truly nothing sacred.