[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Free Plaxico

driveby

A mandatory 3 1/2 sentence for just carrying a gun does seem extreme.

I don't like mandatory sentences that take power away from judges. Politicians shouldn't tell jurists how to do their jobs. But then i don't like health insurance companies telling doctors how to do theirs either.

Plax you did this in the wrong state. I wonder what the charge will be in a plea bargain if he goes that route.

A mandatory 3 1/2 sentence for just carrying a gun does seem extreme.

I don't like mandatory sentences that take power away from judges. Politicians shouldn't tell jurists how to do their jobs. But then i don't like health insurance companies telling doctors how to do theirs either.

Plax you did this in the wrong state. I wonder what the charge will be in a plea bargain if he goes that route.

I agree there should be some punishment here. But get real, doesnt NY city cops have more pressing needs than going after football players who want to preotect themselves, when they have so often been target of robbery. I dont agree with Plax at all. And Mandatory sentences are a load of crap. They are somewhat unconstitutional, as it takes the judgement out of the judicial system, and places it in the hand of legislatures.

I also think the Mayor has already convicted him to the public, and should be relieved of his duties immediately for equal stupid behavior.

Edited by Sgt Ryan

I agree there should be some punishment here. But get real, doesnt NY city cops have more pressing needs than going after football players who want to preotect themselves, when they have so often been target of robbery. I dont agree with Plax at all. And Mandatory sentences are a load of crap. They are somewhat unconstitutional, as it takes the judgement out of the judicial system, and places it in the hand of legislatures.

I also think the Mayor has already convicted him to the public, and should be relieved of his duties immediately for equal stupid behavior.

Mandaroty sentences are crap? Did you live in NYC during the 70's and 80's? We are a hugh city where guns have been a major problem. He deserves what he is getting. To top it off he tried to hide his acts...screw that. If you know anyone who has been held at gun point or shot by a gun during a robbery they will tell u different (I do BTW).

What if his gun went off ACCIDENTALY and killed someone? Then you would be like oh give him life...BS

I don't think 3.5 years is severe. Like the above poster said, if the gun had killed some innocent person, what then? They need a stiff sentence to deter idiots like this from carrying guns. He doesn't need to carry a loaded gun for protection. He's got lots of money to hire a bodyguard that knows how to use a gun properly. He just wants to act like a thug. Well, thugs go to prison, so he got his wish.

Mandaroty sentences are crap? Did you live in NYC during the 70's and 80's? We are a hugh city where guns have been a major problem. He deserves what he is getting. To top it off he tried to hide his acts...screw that. If you know anyone who has been held at gun point or shot by a gun during a robbery they will tell u different (I do BTW).

What if his gun went off ACCIDENTALY and killed someone? Then you would be like oh give him life...BS

+1. There is NO reason to carry a gun - PERIOD. Do they run a greater risk of being mugged? Well sure. They (athletes - not all, some/most) wear gaudy jewelery, drive ridiculously sooped up cars with too much bling. They bring the attention on themselves. They should hire a bodyguard for this. Someone messes with you, the bg steps in and shows them HIS gun, or just whoops the dudes ass.

I don't think 3.5 years is severe. Like the above poster said, if the gun had killed some innocent person, what then? They need a stiff sentence to deter idiots like this from carrying guns. He doesn't need to carry a loaded gun for protection. He's got lots of money to hire a bodyguard that knows how to use a gun properly. He just wants to act like a thug. Well, thugs go to prison, so he got his wish.

Again, +1.

Do you think he would rather lose his 5k in cash he had with him + all his jewelry he had with him + all the cloths he was wearing or having to go through this?

I bet he would rather walk naked from the club to his house rather than to go through this...so good job Plax.

Big Ben hires bodyguards...why didnt he? You are unlikely to get robbed if 2-3 people are with you.

Do you think he would rather lose his 5k in cash he had with him + all his jewelry he had with him + all the cloths he was wearing or having to go through this?

I bet he would rather walk naked from the club to his house rather than to go through this...so good job Plax.

Big Ben hires bodyguards...why didnt he? You are unlikely to get robbed if 2-3 people are with you.

I'll go out with a an expired FL licensed handgun. What could go wrong in NYC? :wacko:

If?

A car driven by an unlicensed man could kill someone just as easily. I don't see unlicensed drivers getting that much time when they have no criminal record.

Let the judge decide. Don't tie his hands with a mandatory sentence. Sorry I don't see where doing something stupid makes you a thug.

And I don't like defending Plax.

If?

A car driven by an unlicensed man could kill someone just as easily. I don't see unlicensed drivers getting that much time when they have no criminal record.

Let the judge decide. Don't tie his hands with a mandatory sentence. Sorry I don't see where doing something stupid makes you a thug.

And I don't like defending Plax.

Yes a car can kill AND if NYC ever runs into a heavy problem with unlicenses people driving and killing people I don't see why a mandatory sentence would be a bad thing.

It's sort of like the drinking and driving laws are getting stricter and stricter every few yrs...as deaths increase so should penalties.

Edited by MrTed46

I don't like mandatory sentences that take power away from judges. Politicians shouldn't tell jurists how to do their jobs.

I don't like judges who abuse their power in the pursuit of their own political agendas. Given that some judges have given convicted child-molesters probation with either little or no time served, I don't agree that mandatory sentences are inherently bad.

Why should Plax expect any different? The probability that this individual has consistently voted for the more 'anti-gun' of the two parties is approximately 90%. Given that this is the case, he really doesn't have a leg to stand on (current injury notwithstanding).

I don't like judges who abuse their power in the pursuit of their own political agendas. Given that some judges have given convicted child-molesters probation with either little or no time served, I don't agree that mandatory sentences are inherently bad.

Are you kidding, this mayor is doing that exact thing. In fact its almost criminal that someone from his stature is convicting Plax to the public, before all the facts are even out. Im amazed no one is talking about this mayor running his mouth publically, and the guy isnt even convicted yet. That has got to be a NYC attorneys wet dream. Hell everyone in the US heard his remarks, and its slander at this point. Even if the facts hold up, you cant publically slander someone else before the facts are even confirmed.

Yes a car can kill AND if NYC ever runs into a heavy problem with unlicenses people driving and killing people I don't see why a mandatory sentence would be a bad thing.

It's sort of like the drinking and driving laws are getting stricter and stricter every few yrs...as deaths increase so should penalties.

Look Im not agreeing Plax shouldnt be punished. But get real 3.5 years for having a handgun in his pocket, when he isnt a resident of this state and he has a license from his home state for it, albeit its now expired in FLA. The bottom line is its foolish and irresponsible. But 3.5 yrs for this is criminal in its own right. Hell try doing 1 day in jail, it sucks ass. 1277 days for this just doesnt fit this crime. It would be a whole nother thing if he pulled this gun, but it going off accidentally, and shooting himself is insanely stupid. And if it accidentally killed someone, then all bets are off, and he gets manslaughter, and you pile on the charges.

Bottom line, it wont come down to this. It will get plead out to probation for 5 yrs, and probably community service and fines. There is no way this goes to trial.

Now the lawsuit against that mayor, If it was me, Id be heading to court tomorrow on that.

Edited by Sgt Ryan

Are you kidding, this mayor is doing that exact thing. In fact its almost criminal that someone from his stature is convicting Plax to the public, before all the facts are even out.

I completely agree that Bloomberg's political grandstanding is extremely inappropriate.

But 3.5 yrs for this is criminal in its own right.

I agree that it's excessive. And the solution to that is to knock the minimum sentence down.

That said, it's probably a moot point. I imagine that Plax will plea down to a lesser charge.

Hell try doing 1 day in jail, it sucks ass.

You speaking from previous experience? :wacko:

Edited by Bill Swerski

:wacko:

Judging the crime based on the outcome. That's funny.

He didn't shoot anyone other than himself, so he shouldn't do the minimum time for carrying a loaded unlicenced gun. That's funny.

That's like saying I robbed someone, but they didin't have any money on them so I shouldn't be charged.

The law is pretty clear. If you carry a loaded, unlicensed gun in New York, you go to jail for 3.5 years. There is no mention of what your intentions were.

The law is out there. It's published, It applies to everyone.

If it turns out that Plaxico Buress was not carrying a loaded, unlicened gun - then he should walk. If he was, he should go to jail just like you or I would if we did the same thing.

Look Im not agreeing Plax shouldnt be punished. But get real 3.5 years for having a handgun in his pocket, when he isnt a resident of this state and he has a license from his home state for it, albeit its now expired in FLA. The bottom line is its foolish and irresponsible. But 3.5 yrs for this is criminal in its own right. Hell try doing 1 day in jail, it sucks ass. 1277 days for this just doesnt fit this crime. It would be a whole nother thing if he pulled this gun, but it going off accidentally, and shooting himself is insanely stupid. And if it accidentally killed someone, then all bets are off, and he gets manslaughter, and you pile on the charges.

Bottom line, it wont come down to this. It will get plead out to probation for 5 yrs, and probably community service and fines. There is no way this goes to trial.

Now the lawsuit against that mayor, If it was me, Id be heading to court tomorrow on that.

Why doesnt it fit? because he shot himself and not someone in the face?

A firearm went off in a PUBLIC, CROWDED club in NYC. Accident or not, what if I were at the club and a bullet smacked me right in the spine and I was paralyzed? I want to avoid that so slap him 3.5 years so the next idiot wont bring a loaded gun into a club.

He shouldn't think he is above the law and if he didn't know the law he is a bigger dumbass than I thought. However, since he tried to run and hide the fact that he got shot suggests he knew the law and was trying to avoid it.

Just like I want ALL drunk drivers to lose their license I was ALL people who fire a loaded weapon in public sent to jail.

Im sure Plax isnt the 1st person to be charged with this. If this were some thug, he would get the same charges. Plax is just getting more publicity because he is a celebrity. The law is there for a reason as stated before. He broke it. He now has to face the consequences. Everything you are saying is just your opinion.

Since NYC enacted the mandatory sentence, slowly but surely the number of guns on the street has gone down dramatically. Judges were being far too lenient with the real criminals, so the legislature fixed the problem. The cops got not only a lot of guns off the streets, they took a lot of bad people off the streets too. Bottom line, NYC is a much safer place, and that is what the government is supposed to do... protect it's citizens.

It's not like one can't get a permit for a handgun in NYC. Burress knew he broke the law, and knew it was a serious offense. That's why he drove back to NJ before getting treatment, why they looked for a hospital that would keep it quiet and to get rid if the gun. Is the law too tough? That could be argued, but tough laws are tough on criminals. Intentionally breaking the law, and then whining about the penalties?

A long, long time ago, I did drink and drive. Not drunk, but not legal either. Never again. The fact that they confiscate your vehicle IS a tough law, but a clear deterent that works. Yes, they take your vehicle and auction it off for DWI here. That is not to mention the other penalties involved.

Burress is an avid gun owner. He knows what the laws are. Unless he's like McNabb, who plays pro football and doesn't know the OT rules.