[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Free Plaxico

driveby

:wacko:

Judging the crime based on the outcome. That's funny.

He didn't shoot anyone other than himself, so he shouldn't do the minimum time for carrying a loaded unlicenced gun. That's funny.

That's like saying I robbed someone, but they didin't have any money on them so I shouldn't be charged.

The law is pretty clear. If you carry a loaded, unlicensed gun in New York, you go to jail for 3.5 years. There is no mention of what your intentions were.

The law is out there. It's published, It applies to everyone.

If it turns out that Plaxico Buress was not carrying a loaded, unlicened gun - then he should walk. If he was, he should go to jail just like you or I would if we did the same thing.

Very well said. I agree 100%

1. Burress didnt need to go to that club

2. Burress didnt need to bring a gun to that club

3. Burress knowingly broke the law

4. Burress should be punished accordingly and thank his stars he didnt hurt himself worse or someone else

This is very simple and the only thing complicating it is lawyers. Go figure.

Is this a state law that only covers the city?

“Less than 10 percent of the people charged with second-degree criminal possession of a weapon, which carries the mandatory prison sentence, are ultimately convicted of that charge,” said John M. Caher, a spokesman for the New York State Division of Criminal Justice Services. Mr. Burress may have been carrying a gun in part because earlier in the week, another Giants receiver was robbed at gunpoint, The New York Post reports.

My guess is juries find it difficult to convict someone when the sentence is dictated by politicians in Albany. If the judges aren't doing their job replace them.

Im pretty sure the charges would pile on... I might be wrong though....

Actually, you're probably right.

That's not much consolation to the family of the dead guy.

Last time I checked, Plaxico didn't kill anybody. Or should we enact pre-emptive mandatory minimum sentences of 5-to-15 years for illegal possession of a handgun?

Heck, make it 20 years for unlicensed handguns if it reduces the amount of guns on the streets.

There should be no sympathy for Plax whatsoever. None. Get a freakin' license, idiot.

Or perhaps we should lighten the gun laws and turn NYC into 70's Harlem. Why not let the kids run drugs too??? Get real. If stupid people do stupid things, they need to be punished in an effort not to curb future stupid people from doing the same stupid thing. My guess is that this will deter other athletes from carrying handguns in NYC in the future, and hopefully may trickle down to the average kids in the community. Good and good.

Mandaroty sentences are crap? Did you live in NYC during the 70's and 80's? We are a hugh city where guns have been a major problem. He deserves what he is getting. To top it off he tried to hide his acts...screw that. If you know anyone who has been held at gun point or shot by a gun during a robbery they will tell u different (I do BTW).

What if his gun went off ACCIDENTALY and killed someone? Then you would be like oh give him life...BS

Since NYC enacted the mandatory sentence, slowly but surely the number of guns on the street has gone down dramatically. Judges were being far too lenient with the real criminals, so the legislature fixed the problem. The cops got not only a lot of guns off the streets, they took a lot of bad people off the streets too. Bottom line, NYC is a much safer place, and that is what the government is supposed to do... protect it's citizens.

It's not like one can't get a permit for a handgun in NYC. Burress knew he broke the law, and knew it was a serious offense. That's why he drove back to NJ before getting treatment, why they looked for a hospital that would keep it quiet and to get rid if the gun. Is the law too tough? That could be argued, but tough laws are tough on criminals. Intentionally breaking the law, and then whining about the penalties?

A long, long time ago, I did drink and drive. Not drunk, but not legal either. Never again. The fact that they confiscate your vehicle IS a tough law, but a clear deterent that works. Yes, they take your vehicle and auction it off for DWI here. That is not to mention the other penalties involved.

Burress is an avid gun owner. He knows what the laws are. Unless he's like McNabb, who plays pro football and doesn't know the OT rules.

Oh there you guys go throwing reality and reason n stuff in there - fn dinosaurs. You don't belong in our new enlightened society; we're not into accountability you %$#@ racists. I bet you think Vick should be in jail too.

I know there are communities in the USA that handguns can be carried around in public freely. I am sure that certain communities can handle that, unfortunately NYC has proved that this local society can't be trusted with such privilages.

If they make an example of him and causes even 1 person to deter from brining an unlicensed gun into the street of NYC, then it was a success.

Mandaroty sentences are crap? Did you live in NYC during the 70's and 80's? We are a hugh city where guns have been a major problem. He deserves what he is getting. To top it off he tried to hide his acts...screw that. If you know anyone who has been held at gun point or shot by a gun during a robbery they will tell u different (I do BTW).

What if his gun went off ACCIDENTALY and killed someone? Then you would be like oh give him life...BS

I could not agree more. If you do not live in NY you have no idea how bad it is with guns here. If he needs to protect himself fine , get a LEGAL permit, don't wear 50k in jewelery or last and the easiest way to keep yourself "protected" stay home with your wife and kid.