[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

A New Senator From NY?

Rovers

Here is something I really hate.... so Hillary takes a new job in DC. The freakin NYS governor gets to pick the replacement? How is THAT democracy? Why not hold a special election? Maybe senators should have running mates? At least the people might have some small say.. but this really sucks. Gee.... maybe it will be Willy boy Clinton... or some schlepp I've never heard if, selected by a governor who was never elected to office either! :wacko: A governemnt for the people, by the people.... yea, sure it is.

Here is something I really hate.... so Hillary takes a new job in DC. The freakin NYS governor gets to pick the replacement? How is THAT democracy? Why not hold a special election? Maybe senators should have running mates? At least the people might have some small say.. but this really sucks. Gee.... maybe it will be Willy boy Clinton... or some schlepp I've never heard if, selected by a governor who was never elected to office either! :wacko:A governemnt for the people, by the people.... yea, sure it is.

We are not the right people.

The Gov only nominates, right? Doesn't Congress get the final vote? Our Representatives rep us, yeah? So we are, in a way, as an entire country, choosing a state's new Rep.

For a replacement senate seat, it is solely a governor appointment unless state law dictates otherwise such as in Alaska. But if the senator is appointed and not elected, this appointment lasts only until the next biennual election and if there is still time left in the senate term, then an election is held for the remainder of the term. The term for Hillary's seat ends in 2012, so an election would be held in 2010 for the last 2 years of the term.

I'm guessing that a big factor here is that the cost and logistics of holding a special election would be pretty outrageous compared to just having one guy say a name. That doesn't mean it shouldn't be done anyway, but I'm sure it's a big part of the equation which spits out the answer of Governor Appointment.

I'm sure there are a number of reasons why replacement senators are appointed by the govnor of a given state.

Remember a few things about the US, though. We are not a democracy and it was not the intention of our founding fathers to create a democratic society. In fact, they loathed the idea of creating a democracy. Secondly, the "right" to vote was severely restricted by our founding fathers and there is still no constitutional gurantee giving all citizens of the US the right to vote. Also, senators were originally appointed by the legislatures of the state they were to represent.

I'm done.

Which isn't really the case. That family has sacrificed more than most: two sons gave their lives in service.

ROFLMAO.

Yeah, when I think of the Kennedys, nobility, self sacrifice for the greater good, piety, and humility come to mind. All they do is give to this country and accept nothing back in return.

And, actually, 3 of the sons died while in service of the country. Everyone seems to forget about the death of the eldest brother in a military plane accident.

ROFLMAO.

Yeah, when I think of the Kennedys, nobility, self sacrifice for the greater good, piety, and humility come to mind. All they do is give to this country and accept nothing back in return.

And, actually, 3 of the sons died while in service of the country. Everyone seems to forget about the death of the eldest brother in a military plane accident.

So are you laughing at the death of 2 or all 3?

So are you laughing at the death of 2 or all 3?

I'm laughing at the notion that the Kennedy family has given more to this country or as you put it, "sacrificed more than most families".

So, they lost three sons, that is tough and something I wouldn't wish upon any family. In the meantime the family reaped the rewards of illegal importation of booze during prohibition, have had links to the Irish mob, persecuted their political and business opponents, received funds for political appointments, and have manged to kill off at least one innocent girl during an adulterous sexual escapade. Other members of the family have had their hands in shady real estate and business deals, have been hopelessly hooked on narcotics, tendencies toward alcoholism, have raped and murdered other citizens of the US and use others for the advancement of their personal political aggrandizement. This is a family who's livelihood has been either funded from tax payers pockets or has profited from either illicit or illegal activites through most of their existance.... Fine family indeed. Then again, this about on par with a bulk of the Irish political families and some of the trash down here in the SE that make a living off of scaming unaware vicitims...

Edited by SEC=UGA

Thanks. That's what I thought. :wacko:

Good argument there to support your assertion that the Kennedy family is the most noble and giving family the US has ever had the fortune of harboring within its vast borders.

I have never and would never condone the assassination of any of our presidents or public servants, nor would I revel in such an atrocious act. Though, I will point out that you painting the Kennedy family as being an altruistic and selfless group is quite amusing.

To make it clear, I'm not arguing with you rgarding the tragedies that befell this family, and seemingly still do today, but want to make it clear that this family has many reprehensible chapters in its biography and should not be cannonized in the manner in which it currently is.

I'm laughing at the notion that the Kennedy family has given more to this country or as you put it, "sacrificed more than most families".

So, they lost three sons, that is tough and something I wouldn't wish upon any family. In the meantime the family reaped the rewards of illegal importation of booze during prohibition, have had links to the Irish mob, persecuted their political and business opponents, received funds for political appointments, and have manged to kill off at least one innocent girl during an adulterous sexual escapade. Other members of the family have had their hands in shady real estate and business deals, have been hopelessly hooked on narcotics, tendencies toward alcoholism, have raped and murdered other citizens of the US and use others for the advancement of their personal political aggrandizement. This is a family who's livelihood has been either funded from tax payers pockets or has profited from either illicit or illegal activites through most of their existance.... Fine family indeed. Then again, this about on par with a bulk of the Irish political families and some of the trash down here in the SE that make a living off of scaming unaware vicitims...

So, you went back and edited the "laughing at all three" comment?

Your blind hatred is both ignorant and off topic. Nice hijack. If you are so obsessed with the Kennedy's, go start another thread.

This one is about a governor who was never elected, now about to name a senator that was never elected. It's not about anti-Irish hatred, or any political family. Go spew elsewhere.... but in all likelyhood, you took a reasonable non-political thread into the political hatred genre... and it will now likely get gunned. Good job. Be proud. Tool.