[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Tom Coughlin

Shorttynaz

Someone tell me why they didn't go for 2 there, please.

Too much time left in my opinion. Go for it and don't make it and you are setting yourself up for a two possession game. Kick the extra point and you are still one possession if the Panthers score again, like they just did.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Too much time left in my opinion. Go for it and don't make it and you are setting yourself up for a two possession game. Kick the extra point and you are still one possession if the Panthers score again, like they just did.

No. Just no. You tie the game. You have a running back as big as most D-linemen. Tie the game.

Correct.

It's not a given. You make it sound like the two point conversion attempt is automatic. What's the conversion percentage? Around 50%?

So your argument is that you should keep it a one-score game even though that score would still have to include a two-point conversion? Doesn't it make you dizzy chasing your tail like that?

So your argument is that you should keep it a one-score game even though that score would still have to include a two-point conversion? Doesn't it make you dizzy chasing your tail like that?

He's dead right. The conventional wisdom is to only go for two when you have to.

My argument is that you take the sure points and expect your defense to do it's job. In the event they fail, you are still in a one possession game. I'm saying the two point attempt has it's place closer to the end of the game when time is more of a factor. It was not time yet to panic and try a lower percentage play.

He's dead right. The conventional wisdom is to only go for two when you have to.

. . . Like when you're down by eight at home and you score a touchdown in a very important game.

My argument is that you take the sure points and expect your defense to do it's job. In the event they fail, you are still in a one possession game. I'm saying the two point attempt has it's place closer to the end of the game when time is more of a factor. It was not time yet to panic and try a lower percentage play.

I can see that point, but wouldn't that also apply to the challenge that this thread started talking about? Maybe the challenge would be a good idea LATE in the game, but not that early? Especially when winning the challenge means you give the ball at the one to one of the best running teams in the league?

. . . Like when you're down by eight at home and you score a touchdown in a very important game.

No, because as smith pointed out, if they'd failed, this would now be a two possession game and likely lost.

Edited by Ursa Majoris

I can see that point, but wouldn't that also apply to the challenge that this thread started talking about? Maybe the challenge would be a good idea LATE in the game, but not that early? Especially when winning the challenge means you give the ball at the one to one of the best running teams in the league?

I don't see the connection.

The point is simple. The odds of converting the two are the same regardless of when you do it. And to say that it's a one-score game makes no sense if that one score is STILL going to have to include a two-point conversion. If they had failed earlier, would they have been any worse off than if they had failed when they did try it with 3:00 left?

And this has nothing to do with my fantasy team, Grits, where did that come from?

The point is simple. The odds of converting the two are the same regardless of when you do it. And to say that it's a one-score game makes no sense if that one score is STILL going to have to include a two-point conversion. If they had failed earlier, would they have been any worse off than if they had failed when they did try it with 3:00 left?

And this has nothing to do with my fantasy team, Grits, where did that come from?

Yes the odds are the same and they are not the greatest odds. This is why you go for it only when you must, such as being down eight late in a game. When they kicked earlier, they were only down two at the time. See the difference. Attempting the two point conversion with the entire quarter left to play is a desperation play and not the smart play.

I believe Grits was commenting on the original post topic of the challenge, not the two point conversion you are continuing to argue about.

Yes the odds are the same and they are not the greatest odds. This is why you go for it only when you must, such as being down eight late in a game. When they kicked earlier, they were only down two at the time. See the difference. Attempting the two point conversion with the entire quarter left to play is a desperation play and not the smart play.

I believe Grits was commenting on the original post topic of the challenge, not the two point conversion you are continuing to argue about.

:wacko: I do appreciate a spirited discussion with someone who doesn't immediately devolve into name-calling. I have to run for the evening. We'll spar again on some other topic that probably also doesn't mean a darn thing in the grand scheme of things! :D

:D I do appreciate a spirited discussion with someone who doesn't immediately devolve into name-calling. I have to run for the evening. We'll spar again on some other topic that probably also doesn't mean a darn thing in the grand scheme of things! :D

Fair enough. You're wrong, but fun discussion none the less. :wacko: