[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Is This a Subway Moneymaking scam?

jaxfactor

I would have turned to the person behind me and asked if I could take their cash and pay for their sandwich with my gift card.

You know what would have happened rigth?

The guy orders 7.99$ worth of food, gives his card worth 4.70$ and pays the difference using a 20$ bill, and all of a sudden he ends up with a 16.71$ gift card. :wacko:

In all seriousness the 'no change policy' on gift cards is one of the great business scams of the late 20th century.

So Aunt Nell has a 100$ bill and wants to give little Billy a nice gift. She goes to the local retatiler, and gives him a bill worth a 100$ that is legal tender anywhere in the US (and in most parts of the world), and *shazam* the store turns it into legal tender that is now only valid in their store. Quite a step down. But wait, there's more. So now Billy gets his gift certificate and goes down to the store that has now implemented the 'no change' policy (a relatively new invention). He wants an item that cost 95$. He buys it and is told that he now has a 5$ credit. He now has two options: 1) buy an item he does not want and that will now cost him money (there is nothing under 5 dollars in the store) or 2) throw away the money. So the store now has turned 100$ redeemable anywhere you want to either less than a 100$ only in their store, or into a 100$ dollars that forces you into behaviour you do not want. Quite a trick indeed.

In all seriousness think of the millions of dollars in unused credit that has directly lined the pockets of these businesses. It's staggering.

I had a similar experience when I got a gift card for Williams and Sonoma for 125$. The item we wanted cost 120$ ands we were given a 5$ credit on our card (oh, and by the way, the money on the card 'expires' after 2 years or so, yet another part of the scam. Imagine a retailer telling you that your sawbuck is no longer good because it was printed before 2005!) I was so tempted to knock one of their 4.99$ wine glasses off a shelf and toss them the card to pay for the damages.

A friend of mine came up with an absolutely brilliant solution to this scam, that could also do good. Anyone who is more charitable and less lazy than me is free to use it.

Set up a non profit organization where people can send in their unused portions of gift cards (let's say of the 10 leading gift card issuers in the US)

regularly, let's say when you have tallied 2000$ worth of credit to say Williams and Sonoma, approach them and 'redeem' your coupons for an equal value donation to a chosen charity (let's say you let them chose an acceptable charity from a list of 20). I can't imagine a business not complying to avoid the negative publicity if they didn't (and by the by get some positive pub out of it), but if any of the businesses were recalcitrant go on a shopping spree in their store for 2000$ and make sure to pay with the 127 gift cards you have been sent.

What do you guys think?

The guy orders 7.99$ worth of food, gives his card worth 4.70$ and pays the difference using a 20$ bill, and all of a sudden he ends up with a 16.71$ gift card. :wacko:

In all seriousness the 'no change policy' on gift cards is one of the great business scams of the late 20th century.

So Aunt Nell has a 100$ bill and wants to give little Billy a nice gift. She goes to the local retatiler, and gives him a bill worth a 100$ that is legal tender anywhere in the US (and in most parts of the world), and *shazam* the store turns it into legal tender that is now only valid in their store. Quite a step down. But wait, there's more. So now Billy gets his gift certificate and goes down to the store that has now implemented the 'no change' policy (a relatively new invention). He wants an item that cost 95$. He buys it and is told that he now has a 5$ credit. He now has two options: 1) buy an item he does not want and that will now cost him money (there is nothing under 5 dollars in the store) or 2) throw away the money. So the store now has turned 100$ redeemable anywhere you want to either less than a 100$ only in their store, or into a 100$ dollars that forces you into behaviour you do not want. Quite a trick indeed.

In all seriousness think of the millions of dollars in unused credit that has directly lined the pockets of these businesses. It's staggering.

I had a similar experience when I got a gift card for Williams and Sonoma for 125$. The item we wanted cost 120$ ands we were given a 5$ credit on our card (oh, and by the way, the money on the card 'expires' after 2 years or so, yet another part of the scam. Imagine a retailer telling you that your sawbuck is no longer good because it was printed before 2005!) I was so tempted to knock one of their 4.99$ wine glasses off a shelf and toss them the card to pay for the damages.

A friend of mine came up with an absolutely brilliant solution to this scam, that could also do good. Anyone who is more charitable and less lazy than me is free to use it.

Set up a non profit organization where people can send in their unused portions of gift cards (let's say of the 10 leading gift card issuers in the US)

regularly, let's say when you have tallied 2000$ worth of credit to say Williams and Sonoma, approach them and 'redeem' your coupons for an equal value donation to a chosen charity (let's say you let them chose an acceptable charity from a list of 20). I can't imagine a business not complying to avoid the negative publicity if they didn't (and by the by get some positive pub out of it), but if any of the businesses were recalcitrant go on a shopping spree in their store for 2000$ and make sure to pay with the 127 gift cards you have been sent.

What do you guys think?

Something like this: http://www.giftcarddonor.com

You mis-handled your transaction.

In that situation what I always do is hand the gift card to the cashier and let them exhaust the card before any cash changes hands. So in your case ... hand the $10 gift card to the clerk and make them apply the full balance of the card to the balance owed. Once the clerk completes that transaction then use cash to settle the difference.

You mis-handled your transaction.

In that situation what I always do is hand the gift card to the cashier and let them exhaust the card before any cash changes hands. So in your case ... hand the $10 gift card to the clerk and make them apply the full balance of the card to the balance owed. Once the clerk completes that transaction then use cash to settle the difference.

A fine suggestion but it is unfortunate that it should come to that. More and more merchants and consumers are being forced into an adviserial situation and that is unfortunate. I'm a retailer and do sell gift certificates. Mind you, I don't market the idea, rather give into consumer demand. Local real estate agents like to give them as gifts to home buyers new to the area and, of course, we sell a ton at Xmas time.

Regardless, I am fully aware and, frankly, a bit embarrassed by the enviable cash flow situation they create for me. As a result, I would feel like an outright crook if I didn't behave as if the certificate was cash. When someone fails to spend as much as their bill comes to, we simply ask them if they'd like cash or keep the balance on their certificate. Oddly enough, as many times as not, they'd prefer keep the balance. After all, if they like the place, they might see the balance as an excuse to treat themselves to another meal (or at least part of a meal). On the other hand, I suppose, they'll just have some change in their pocket that will be used up on some cups of coffee or whatnot. None the less, as far as I'm concerned, it's their money and they can do with it what they like.

People often ask if mine expire and are puzzled when I tell them that they're good as long as I'm around. I mean, what the hell? I got paid, what should it matter? If you think about it, the longer they wait to cash it, the less that money buys. They could wait five years for all I care.

The sense of entitlement that some places have to not only secure the funds from a transaction long before they have to deliver (if they every have to at all) but to compound the issue by requiring that the person spend every penny there is pretty disgraceful. You'd think that they were giving up anything as a result. But they're not. I mean, I can see if there was some sort of discount involved, but there isn't. Well, there hasn't been up until now. I noticed at costco this season that you could get not only starbucks but itunes cards for less than the value. I recall you could get 4, $15 itunes cards for $50. Now, I can certainly see why someone in this case would not allow you to redeem unused credit for cash. However, that is typically not the case.

Perhaps there's a moral to the story. Don't buy a sandwich from Subway. Buy one from the local deli. It's owned by a guy who lives in your town and is likely not as quick to try and screw you over. I don't mean to imply that this is your fault or anything, but just as a reminder that supporting chains is just lining the pockets of people who don't give two poops about you.

- Big John once again rules the tinternets. Yes Big J, that was exactly what I meant. Once again I have been beaten to the punch...

- Detlef. Congrats on doing things the right way. That's two major thumbs up.

-Vinateri. Somehow businesses think that prefacing a statement by "store policy..." allows them to do whatever they want. You are undoubtedly right, it's just that so many of us give up in the face of incompetent 17 year olds, and businesses know it. Are you really going to fight that fight over a crappy 4.99$ sandwich? Still, good info. Did not know that.

What do you guys think?

actually the reason for expiration dates (in many states) is that there are laws that allow the state to "take" "store credits" (or maybe its tax them) that are over X number of years old....when I worked for Burlington Coat Factory we initially had NO expiration date on our credits but then put in a 1yr expiration because of what I just described...however, there was also a mandate that came from corporate that you never turned away a customers credit if it was expired...you just did an over ride...unfortunatley today with the advent of the swipable gift cards/credits and the way that cashiers are doofuses you get the I am sorry your card is expired or doesnt have any value left on it

Gift Certificates and gift cards that you pay for cannot legally expire regardless of what the store claims.

Complimentary gift certificates that the store gives you are a different story, however.

there are ways around it:

https://www.vanillavisa.com/cardholderAgreement.html

Service Fee: A Service Fee of $2.50 per month beginning with the seventh (7th) month from the day of activation will be applied to the remaining balance except where otherwise required to comply with, or prohibited by, applicable law. This fee will not be charged once the balance on the Prepaid Giftcard reaches $0.00.

this is just one example but I do know that Red Lobster does the same with their cards because I heard a lady being told why her balance was ZERO on her gift card once

Edited by keggerz

well, thankfully I've never had a d00shbag cashier try and pull that stunt on me. I wouldn't have moved an inch until the little f'er fixed it. obviously, any customer is going to want to use up the gift card first, there is no way anyone should have to be "told" this is what you wanted. do companies really set a weasel policy like this at a corporate level? I'd love to see a list of which ones do it, that is unconscionable IMO.

in any case, I would definitely write a letter to subway corp about your experience. might get you a couple more footlongs for your troubles.

Similiar experience except at a department store. Wife and I were given a VISA gift card. We used it at a department store and our change was placed on THEIR gift card. I asked for change(money) and was told that any non-store gift cards used there with a balance is issued their store gift card with remaining balance. Asked for manager and was told that was store policy. Then asked them to void transaction. They then tried to give me the original amount on THEIR gift card. I told them NO either the cash or the orginal gift card and its amount. The manager disappears and after a few minutes appears with forms to fill out to get cash back as they couldn't add the amount back onto original card. Took about 45 minutes but pure BS IMO to get you to shop at their store :wacko:

that's a little different and I see the store's point on that one. you are essentially asking them to cash out one of those visa gift cards. you can't walk into a bank and cash those things, why would you expect a store to do so? if I am not mistaken, they have to pay standard CC fees on those. you were real lucky to walk out of there with cash IMO.

that's a little different and I see the store's point on that one. you are essentially asking them to cash out one of those visa gift cards. you can't walk into a bank and cash those things, why would you expect a store to do so? if I am not mistaken, they have to pay standard CC fees on those. you were real lucky to walk out of there with cash IMO.

the change should have been left on the VISA gift card..why would they be putting change on their own card?

the change should have been left on the VISA gift card..why would they be putting change on their own card?

ahh, I may have read it wrong. I thought he was asking specifically for the balance to be paid out to him in cash. there is no reason they should have charged more than the balance you spent in their store to the card in the first place unless you asked them to. if that's how it went down, I agree it is total BS.

ahh, I may have read it wrong. I thought he was asking specifically for the balance to be paid out to him in cash. there is no reason they should have charged more than the balance you spent in their store to the card in the first place unless you asked them to. if that's how it went down, I agree it is total BS.

I agree and thus the reason he was able to get cash. If they had just left it on the Visa gift card, then no problem. What they did was carge the entire value of the Visa gift card so that they (the store) would get the full value of the card on their sales by trying to get you to take their store only gift card. Shady.

on friday, i went to pay my directv bill online. i clicked "authorize transaction," and after a few minutes i got an error saying to try again later. waited a bit, then clicked "authorize transaction" again, and a few minutes later, got the same error. i was in a hurry, so i said, screw it, i'll do it later. that evening i was checking our bank account online, and saw there were TWO directv debits for the amount of our bill. logged into directv web site and saw we now had a credit on our account for the amount of the bill. despite giving me the error, the payments still went through, BOTH times. i called directv, and after being on hold for 13 minutes, she told me the charge couldn't be reversed. if i wanted to escalate the complaint, i could, but a refund would take 4-6 weeks. had i not been in a hurry earlier that day, i probably would've kept trying to submit the payment, and then what? it's not that i needed that money that badly, but it pissed me off that the error was on their end in the first place.