[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Fantasy golf?

Squeegiebo

HUGH ONE:

A bunch of us Huddler's did a free league last year on Yahoo.

Two comments: Free leagues suck, and the season was WAY too long.

If you want to get a league started post in the main forum, Big John should leave it there in the off season.

WAY WAY WAY TOO LONG...

I was in three Yahoo leagues last year...Two were money leagues and the other was the HUDDLE league.

Yahoo leagues are easy to run and if you want to keep everyones interest you have got to put some cash on the line. In both cash leagues everyone bucks up $25. The winner gets 60%, second 25%, and third gets 15%.

The season is a tad long,(40 weeks)but hopefully the money is enough to keep people interested...

I'm probably one of the few who did an ESPN league as well as a Yahoo league and ESPNs was WAYYYYY better. Though it was $9.99, they had unique teams and a draft day. None of this everyone starts Tiger Woods stuff as only one team can own him or any player. Plus, the season was only 20 weeks or so including playoffs so it didn't get old like the Yahoo league did. 20 weeks is fun, 40 weeks is chinese water torture. wall_bas sleep wall_bas

I'm in a fantasy golf league that was started a few years ago by a friend who wanted to give a few of us something to do after football season. Thus, the season starts in late January and goes through the PGA Championship (late August).

Last year, I believe we had 18 people, and the entry fee was twenty bucks. Every week, you pick five guys from the PGA field, plus one alternate. Scoring is simply the money earnings for those five golfers that week. The scoring is cumulative, so your end of season standings are based on the sum of your money earnings from each week. The alternate is used only if one of your five players withdraws, but not if he misses the cut.

The only other restriction is that you can use any particular golfer a maximum of eight times during the season, which lasts twenty-some weeks. Typically, Tiger plays in about 12 tournaments in that time, so the key is deciding which weeks not to pick Tiger and some of the other top golfers. Plus, some tournaments pay out significantly more than others, which makes it that much more important to pick the right players for major tournaments.

The top three finishers get money back at the end of the season, plus whoever had the highest single-week money total. That happened to be me last year, when I picked something like four out of the top five finishers for one of the tournaments that Vijay won. I think it was the Houston Open, if I remember right.

Anyway, the season is pretty long, but it's fairly competitive and not too time-consuming. I find myself watching a lot more golf on Sundays than I used to, which could be good or bad. I would suggest trying a golf league, even if you're just a casual golf fan.

I've been doing my league for 3 years now. $100 entry fee, pays top 3 points finishers. We have an actual draft during which each team drafts 15 (except the team who gets Tiger - they don't get a 2nd round pick). Play three each week - choose after the 1st round. Points are for strokes under par, low round of the day each day, finishing in the top 10, etc. We have a supplemental draft every 10 weeks, during which each team can add & drop one golfer.

I do it just to have a fantasy team when it's not football season. We start with the Pebble Beach Pro-Am and go through the Tour Champtionship, which does make for a very long season.

I finsihed 2nd last year, thanks largely to Mike Weir, who I drafted in the 6th round (but did not play in the Masters!). Winning team killed everyone with DL3, Kenny Perry, Chad Campbell, and others.

It does make PGA golf much more interesting, which is good for me since I hate baseball (still bitter about the 1990-92 Pirates).

.... here's a great way to play fantasy golf..... and not over do it. We've been do'in this routine now for 3 years & we love it.

1.) - The only drawback is that your league needs to be somewhat small.... 4-6 players. But, that works too as you only have to collect $$ from a few guys. wink

2.) The number of players must match the number of tourneys that you play. We started with 4 guys & just did the majors. That way, each players gets the first pick in a major..... or in other words.... gets tiger.If you have 5 guys then you can add the TPC as the 5th. tourney.

3.)Re-draft every major - serpentine your picks..... 4 players each.... 16 total or 20 total if you got 5 guys.

4.) - Total earnings for your 4 players - if you pick a player that misses the cut.... yer screwed. wall_bas ...unless you pick the winner.

It works great..... each major is a new draft...we start the draft via e-mail about 10 days prior to each tourney.If you draft 1st. in the Masters, you'll be 2nd in the US Open, 3rd. in the British & last in the PGA. We went $25 per player per tourney.... $100 kitty per tourney - winner take all.

We have a little different scheme:

there are 25-30 teams, each at $100. The last year's money list is tiered: 1-10 (but we disqualify Tiger, since otherwise everybody would take him!);11-25, 26-50; 51-75; 76-100; 101-999. Each team picks 6 players, one from each tier. Each week's high money wins $25; each major $100; at end, high money total, plus 2nd and 3rd, (and sometimes last!) win a share of the rest of the pot.

There is obviously some overlap, but seldom more than 2-3 players on more than 1 team. Last year's winner had Singh, Furyk, Kenny Perry, Cink, Weir, and Joe Durant. David Duval was on about 15 teams from the 5 slot which also had Weir available. Guess which was the beter pick?

This format gives you something to root for each week without the burden of having to study fields and try to pick new players like the ESPN and Yahoo games. Everybody can stay interested until the end even if they have no chance at overall top.

we did one a few years ago and made it very low maintenence. We had 8 guys pick 5 players each. Play all your guys each week totals earnings for the year for your whole team. I think I finished 2nd, I had Payne Stewart when he died. We had no rules for replacing players so I went the last few weeks without him and lost ground. Wasn't too upset when you think about it.