[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Here's a good idea for Congressmen...

cre8tiff

Of course my state is in the black.

It is? I thought only 4 states were in the black and TX wasn't one of them.

Hey if you don't make their districts pay for the crap, I'm sure they would. I'd gladly have our district not take a single handout if we didn't have to pay the taxes to fund this monstrosity. Since that isn't going to happen, I doubt you will see anyone turning down getting their money back after the feds have taken some off the top to administer it.

Actually, we aren't paying the taxes for "this monstrosity". The taxes we pay are already more than fully occupied. This is borrowing.

It is? I thought only 4 states were in the black and TX wasn't one of them.

Actually, we aren't paying the taxes for "this monstrosity". The taxes we pay are already more than fully occupied. This is borrowing.

So those of us who were pissed about all the debt Dubya racked up in his efforts to create jobs and fighting in Iraq are allowed to reference the future tax burden in paying it back but those on the right can't now?

And military service mandatory.

I would like 1 year (at least) of mandatory service of some kind after high school. It could me military but other forms(peace corps, vista, CCC, americorps) would work too. It would get kids out of their bubbles, let them see how other people live in different parts of the country and give help where it's needed. It could be in exchange for training or college.

If we have wars we need a draft so everyone shares in the sacrifice too.

So those of us who were pissed about all the debt Dubya racked up in his efforts to create jobs and fighting in Iraq are allowed to reference the future tax burden in paying it back but those on the right can't now?

Not sure where you're going with this but the fact is that this thing isn't being paid for in taxes at all since all our taxes are already being spent elsewhere. Without the stimulus there is still a half-trillion annual deficit, so we're not even covering the regular budget in taxes, much less TARP, stimuli and whatnot.

The national debt keeps on truckin' right along.

Not sure where you're going with this but the fact is that this thing isn't being paid for in taxes at all since all our taxes are already being spent elsewhere. Without the stimulus there is still a half-trillion annual deficit, so we're not even covering the regular budget in taxes, much less TARP, stimuli and whatnot.

The national debt keeps on truckin' right along.

My point is, if I was busting someone's balls about "our tax dollars going to fight a war in Iraq" and he came back with, "it's not taxes, it's debt", I wouldn't consider that a very reasonable response. One has to approach any money the government spends as "tax dollars" because it's either spending taxes or promising that future tax dollars will be spent towards it. Either way, arguing that we're spending future rather than current tax dollars on this is not going to resonate much with someone who's apposed to spending the money to begin with.

Apparently four Republican Governors were considering this course. Of course, that just means that they are racist.

:D That is a rather thin parallel he is drawing.

However, this article is telling...: :D

"My concern is there's going to be commitments attached to it that are a mile long," said Texas Gov. Rick Perry, who considered rejecting some of the money but decided Wednesday to accept it. "We need the freedom to pick and choose. And we need the freedom to say 'No thanks.'

however, this may lead to Democrats saying:

U.S. Rep. James Clyburn, D-S.C., the No. 3 House Democrat, said the governors — some of whom are said to be eyeing White House bids in 2012 — are putting their own interests first.

"No community or constituent should be denied recovery assistance due to their governor's political ideology or political aspirations,"

But of course, it may be a safe bet either way:

In fact, governors who reject some of the stimulus aid may find themselves overridden by their own legislatures because of language Clyburn included in the bill that allows lawmakers to accept the federal money even if their governors object.

So a republican can both reject the stimulus on ideological grounds, AND get the money.

:wacko:

Edited by cre8tiff

I've listened to Perry's concerns. He's worried that by taken the money now, the state will be on the hook later. Particularly in areas where they are starting new programs are extending the parameters of programs, he fears this may be one time funding to get programs started that the state will then be non the hook to fund in the future.

I've listened to Perry's concerns. He's worried that by taken the money now, the state will be on the hook later. Particularly in areas where they are starting new programs are extending the parameters of programs, he fears this may be one time funding to get programs started that the state will then be non the hook to fund in the future.

kinda like "No School Left Standing"

We all know fedgov would never issue unfunded mandates, would they? :wacko:

And nevermind, Arnold says California will take any funds other GOP governors reject! :wacko:

You can't seriously consider Arnold a Republican. He's married to a Kennedy. If he was a Republican there is no way the idiots in California would have voted for him.

This is one of my primary objections to the stimulus. We're setting ourelves of for catastrophy down the road in a number of ways. States having to kick in more money when the fed money dries up is one. Government jobs being created by the stimulus having to be continually refunded is another. Then there's that pesky little problem of paying back $1.2 trillion somewhere down the road.