[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Executive Pay

Perchoutofwater

Letters...you know....I write something...make a few sentences....say Best Regards....put it in an envelope...that is a letter. I am sure birthday cards are considered letters. Everything else not considered letters can be delivered by a separate mail service.

:wacko: a letter is any written message meant to be delivered from one person to another. the post office has complete control over their conveyance. they have granted exceptions for "extremely urgent letters", with qualifications that it must have strict time limits for delivery and must cost at least twice as much as the post office, which has allowed the rise of fedex and ups. but the USPS maintains a complete legally-mandated monopoly over all low-cost mail service.

Edited by Azazello1313

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FERS is the federal employee pension system. that is what it means to be a FERS employee, it means you are eligible for a pension. TSP is separate. I think you should trust me on this one...

Really? So, it is your statement that a FER employee with the USPS is "eligible" for a traditional pension benefit....whether it be defined benefit or defined contribution...is that what you are saying...because if you are, you are so friggin wrong....and no one should trust you ever again. A FERS employee is eligible for Social Security....a Civil Service employee is not. So, a FERS employee gets Social Security and their TSP to retire on.....and since my dad is a civil service employee....and my sister is a FER....mail carrier.....I think you should trust me on this....since my target market is postal employees and I know their benefit book front and back. So...would you care to post a link to your assertion....or should Sox come on here and demonstrate that FERS do not have defined benefit or defined contribution pensions?

:wacko: a letter is any written message meant to be delivered from one person to another. the post office has complete control over their conveyance. they have granted exceptions for "extremely urgent letters", with qualifications that it must have strict time limits for delivery and must cost at least twice as much as the post office, which has allowed the rise of fedex and ups. but the USPS maintains a complete legally-mandated monopoly over all low-cost mail service.

um...what part of everything else not considered letters did you miss?

Really? So, it is your statement that a FER employee with the USPS is "eligible" for a traditional pension benefit....whether it be defined benefit or defined contribution...is that what you are saying...because if you are, you are so friggin wrong....and no one should trust you ever again. A FERS employee is eligible for Social Security....a Civil Service employee is not. So, a FERS employee gets Social Security and their TSP to retire on.....and since my dad is a civil service employee....and my sister is a FER....mail carrier.....I think you should trust me on this....since my target market is postal employees and I know their benefit book front and back. So...would you care to post a link to your assertion....or should Sox come on here and demonstrate that FERS do not have defined benefit or defined contribution pensions?

wow. seriously? well, ok. here is a link to the FERS manual for postal employees. on page 2 of the booklet (page 5 of the PDF), it lists the components of the FERS "three-tiered retirement plan". they are:

- social security benefits

- basic FERS benefit plan

- thrift savings plan (TSP)

the basic benefit plan is your government pension, the TSP is the equivalent of a 401k, a personal account which the employee contributes to and directs how the funds are allocated, the employer matches a certain amount, etc.

beginning on page 5 of the booklet (page 8 of the PDF), the details of the FERS pension are described. the next several pages describe how that monthly pension is calculated based on your ending salary, your years of creditable service, survivor benefits, etc.

wow. seriously? well, ok. here is a link to the FERS manual for postal employees. on page 2 of the booklet (page 5 of the PDF), it lists the components of the FERS "three-tiered retirement plan". they are:

- social security benefits

- basic FERS benefit plan

- thrift savings plan (TSP)

the basic benefit plan is your government pension, the TSP is the equivalent of a 401k, a personal account which the employee contributes to and directs how the funds are allocated, the employer matches a certain amount, etc.

beginning on page 5 of the booklet (page 8 of the PDF), the details of the FERS pension are described. the next several pages describe how that monthly pension is calculated based on your ending salary, your years of creditable service, survivor benefits, etc.

A FER DOES NOT RECEIVE A TRADITIONAL PENSION!!!!!!! THEY DO NOT GET ONE!!!!! I am a financial planner whose target market is postal employees.....if they get a pension....then I should lose all my licenses....because I have given them really bad advice. FERS with the USPS do not receive pensions. Quit being an idiot. Go back to the 1980's when Ronald Reagan passed legislation that forbid double dipping by federal employees. My father had worked for 20 years before going to the Postal Service. That law stripped away all his credits and only allowed him to have his civil service pension. So, since that law has never been taken off the books, it is legally impossible for a federal employee to double dip. Therefore, a FERS employee cannot have a defined contribution of defined benefit plan. USPS employees do not get a pension....period if they are a FER.

A FER DOES NOT RECEIVE A TRADITIONAL PENSION!!!!!!! THEY DO NOT GET ONE!!!!! I am a financial planner whose target market is postal employees.....if they get a pension....then I should lose all my licenses....because I have given them really bad advice.

pretty much. did you read the link I gave you? this is ridiculous. here's a bunch more links, go down to the FERS section. there's all sorts of links about how to calculate your FERS pension annuity, when you can collect it, what the amount will be, etc. I'm not sure what else to tell you. I mean, this is not difficult information to find, just google some combination of FERS, pension, USPS. now, I know the post office hires a lot of temps, who would NOT be FERS employees and thus not eligible for a FERS pension. maybe that is what you're thinking of? I really have no idea other than, as usual, you are talking loudly out of your ass.

let me explain this to you so you can understand it. The basic benefit is not a pension....it is in your TSP. This is something you have to do....a portion of your payroll tax gets put into your TSP and then the USPS adds 1%. This is before you even make elections to put money in yourself. This happens regardless of what you do. This money goes into your TSP account...not into a pension plan. FERS employees do not have traditional defined contribution or defined benefit plans. They get their TSP and Social Security.

pretty much. did you read the link I gave you? this is ridiculous. here's a bunch more links, go down to the FERS section. there's all sorts of links about how to calculate your FERS pension annuity, when you can collect it, what the amount will be, etc. I'm not sure what else to tell you. I mean, this is not difficult information to find, just google some combination of FERS, pension, USPS. now, I know the post office hires a lot of temps, who would NOT be FERS employees and thus not eligible for a FERS pension. maybe that is what you're thinking of? I really have no idea other than, as usual, you are talking loudly out of your ass.

So, if I gave you a phone number to the Human resource person whom I deal with on a regular basis....and if they tell you that FERS employees do not have Pensions....other than what they get in their TSP....would you believe me. They take .5% of your ss payment and then add 1% to it. Deposit in your TSP account. That is it. It is not a pension. Conversely, a civil service employee pays 7% of the pay into the pension...the rest is put in by the postal service. The difference between a civil service employee and a FERS is that a civil service employee does not get matching funds for TSP contributions....FERS get matched up to 5%...unless that has been raised recently.

It is against FEDERAL LAW for a government employee to receive a pension and social security. if they have a federal pension....they would not pay SS payroll taxes...like a civil service employee.

You are such a dumb poopy. Try educating yourself before you start posting links to things you don't even understand how they work. If I need my copier or internet running...I will call you.

let me explain this to you so you can understand it. The basic benefit is not a pension....it is in your TSP. This is something you have to do....a portion of your payroll tax gets put into your TSP and then the USPS adds 1%. This is before you even make elections to put money in yourself. This happens regardless of what you do. This money goes into your TSP account...not into a pension plan. FERS employees do not have traditional defined contribution or defined benefit plans. They get their TSP and Social Security.

you're just wrong, dude. there IS an atuomatic 1% deduction that goes into your TSP account, and obviously most people elect to deduct more. yes, that much you have correct. there is a separate automatic deduction that goes to fund the FERS basic benefit (which is a frigging "defined benefit" pension). please read the f*cking manual. again, as a FERS employee, you receive three basic sources of retirement income:

1) SS

2) your FERS basic benefit, an annuity which is calculated based on your years of service, your age, and an average your highest 3 yearly salaries. that is the exact definition of what a pension is. your FERS basic benefit is not in any way determined by how much is in your TSP account. it is a pension.

3) your TSP account

I'm a federal employee, dude. I know what my benefits are. the FERS pension is one of them. I am told that postal employees participate in the same pension, as several links I have posted confirm. it sounds like you've been committing malpractice.

may as well throw one more link on the fire here. from wikipedia:

The Federal Employees Retirement System (or FERS) was enacted on June 6, 1986, and effective January 1, 1987. It was designed by Congress to replace the Civil Service Retirement System (CSRS).

New U.S. Federal civilian employees, first hired after 1983, are automatically covered by this new retirement system. Employees who leave Federal employment after five years of service, may still qualify for the benefits. FERS is a three tiered system that consists of a defined benefit plan, Social Security, and the Thrift Savings Plan. The Thrift Savings Plan operates like a 401(k). More information about FERS can be found on the Office of Personnel Management's FERS retirement website.

all this shiznut rambling about a "civil service employee" and a "FER" is, I assume, confusion about the transfer from one system to the other in the 80s. for people whose civil service spans the two eras (pre-1983 and post), the calculation of their benefits and how they transferred from one system to the other is tricky. but it a simple matter of indisputable fact that BOTH systems create a defined benefit pension.

Edited by Azazello1313

you're just wrong, dude. there IS an atuomatic 1% deduction that goes into your TSP account, and obviously most people elect to deduct more. yes, that much you have correct. there is a separate automatic deduction that goes to fund the FERS basic benefit (which is a frigging "defined benefit" pension). please read the f*cking manual. again, as a FERS employee, you receive three basic sources of retirement income:

1) SS

2) your FERS basic benefit, an annuity which is calculated based on your years of service, your age, and an average your highest 3 yearly salaries. that is the exact definition of what a pension is. your FERS basic benefit is not in any way determined by how much is in your TSP account. it is a pension.

3) your TSP account

I'm a federal employee, dude. I know what my benefits are. the FERS pension is one of them. I am told that postal employees participate in the same pension, as several links I have posted confirm. it sounds like you've been committing malpractice.

NO THERE IS NOT SHOUTING AS LOUD AS I CAN! Your pension is your TSP account. The FERS system is set up so Social security combined with the more flexible TSP account can equal benefits paid under civil service. A FERS employee has the option to invest their entire TSP in the market or not. The only withholding from the paycheck is social security and TSP elections. A pension would either generate additional withholding or more than 1% from the postal service. Do you do much with defined benefits....my guess is no. Now, when the FERS employee goes to retire, their TSP withdrawals act differently than your and I 401K plan....but the FERS employee get social security and whatever payout they can generate from their TSP...that is it. I have had probably 15 FERS clients do work with me and this is how it works....it is that simple. There is no way for the Postal Service to generate a pension on 1.5% withholding...NONE.

:wacko: this is too much. it has to be some kind of joke.

WEP....it reduces social security benefits for civil service employees who have qualifying quarters.....eliminating it for roughly 80+% of all those who are with civil service for over 25 years. So I guess illegal is strong....the WEP virtually eliminates SS from factoring into a civil service employees retirement.

may as well throw one more link on the fire here. from wikipedia:

all this shiznut rambling about a "civil service employee" and a "FER" is, I assume, confusion about the transfer from one system to the other in the 80s. for people whose civil service spans the two eras (pre-1983 and post), the calculation of their benefits and how they transferred from one system to the other is tricky. but it a simple matter of indisputable fact that BOTH systems create a defined benefit pension.

Dude...give me your phone number via PM and we will conference call tomorrow and I will give you the education of a lifetime. FERS employees use their TSP as their pension....there is no other spot that the postal service puts money away for a definded benefit pension. When the FER retires, he can elect to take payment out of the TSP in a defined payout....but the TSP is not a defined benefit or contribution plan because the employee can elect to invest proceeds in the market. But you go on believing what you will....I only work with these folks everyday. My dad is a Postmaster....and my sister is a mail carrier....and I am pretty sure they know how their retirment works.....so you go ahead dreaming.

I thought you worked in a law office?