[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Tank Heaters vs. Tankless Water Heaters

PSULions

My 13 year old Rheemglass 50 gallon Direct Vent water heater is on its last legs and I need to replace it very soon. I was surprised at the cost of installing a new tank, but I guess the Direct Vent is somewhat tricky to install correctly to make sure you have no leaks that would cause problems with the venting of the unit increasing the cost of the install. My best option for a Tank replacement is $950.

I have contacted several plumbers and the local gas company and have gotten two quotes for a Rinnai Tankless R75LSi unit that is suited for the size of my house and including installation both the gas company and the plumber are around $2,400. Now that Obama has come up with the stimulus plan that includes a change in the tax credits for Tankless Water heaters, I would be able to get a tax credit of $663 when I file my 2009 taxes next February, reducing the overall cost to about $1,740. Based on my current usage with 4 kids and the wife I am expecting my gas savings would be at least $100 per year, possibly more has my kids start taking more showers. The other issue is I hear the tankless should last at least 15 years, while I would likely have to replace the tank again within 8-10 years as they are not made as well as they used to be.

I reach out to my fellow Huddlers to give me your opinions on the issues you have had with the Tankless or your Tank water heaters. It seems the savings will be there for the Tankless, but the payback is probably around 5 years and the long-term savings of NOT replacing the water heater again sometime in the next 8-10 years saving another $1,000 plus at that point.

If you like the Tankless, do you have the Noritz, the Rinnai or a different brand? Good points or bad points on what you have....

Thanks in advance.

All I can say is that when we looked into them during our remodel a couple of years back we were cautioned to stay away as in most cases the idea was ahead of the execution. That may have changed since then.

Nod. CR recommends the normal tank water heaters with longest length warranty ~ 12 years over tankless, if that's worth anything to you.

Also, be sure its a credit not a deduction. I got screwed with that when I bought a storm door a couple years back. Serves me right for believing the guy at the store. :wacko:

First let me say I am not a liscensed plumber. I have worked for the City Gov as a plumber / Boiler operator and repair mechanic. I have run my own handyman business for quite awhile which includes plumbing repairs. I do put in water heaters for people from time to time. I have found the life span of a water heater to vary greatly. I have seen ones that last for many years and others that go out right at the end of the warranty period. The price you were quoted of $950.00 seems a little high IMO but there may be special circumstances. I would recommend the tankless if you could afford the extra. The copper coils should last for many years. I would also think the saving should exceed the $100 per year.

Another thing to remember is that if the tank water heater goes out under warranty (if I am not mistaken) just the water heater is covered, not the labor to install it.

I got several very good quotes for both the direct SWAP of the tank as well as the Tankless system and I opted to stay with the Rheem Fury Direct Vent 50 gallon tank. The reason why the quote is so high is due the the fact the Direct Vent has to be the exact size, shape, etc. to get the necessary venting to the outside air through the vent that goes through my garage wall. My county also has required the addition of an expansion tank to go with the Water Heater tank per code so, I was surprised about the cost being as high as it was. After purchasing a brand new Gas Stove / Range three weeks ago and a new roof (hail damage claim from the insurance) where I had to pay my deductible, I am a little tapped out and decided to go with the Rheem, which did last 13 years (the original that came with the house). Had I not been hit by the triple whammy, I probably would have opted for the Tankless system to enjoy the gas savings on an annual basis.

Thanks for those that provide their thoughts and comments. :wacko:

Nod. CR recommends the normal tank water heaters with longest length warranty ~ 12 years over tankless, if that's worth anything to you.

Also, be sure its a credit not a deduction. I got screwed with that when I bought a storm door a couple years back. Serves me right for believing the guy at the store. :wacko:

The new law that Obama just passed provides a direct 30% tax credit for the purchase and installation on any Tankless Water System in 2009 and 2010, which made this option much more attractive. Just thought it would be smart to save the money at this point so we opted to go with just swapping it out.

As a plumbing contractor , I have a tankless heater in my home.

much more efficient , I got a $300 tax credit last year . Easier to replace , longer warranty too

easy to self service as well, great tech support

I used (2) Rinnai 2520 in my home, but most houses only need one. There are 4.5 bath , 2 teenagers etc here so I felt like running a 2 zone water distribution system, plus I got 50% manufacturer discount. Google it up if your shopping for a tankless

Haven't viewed the specs in some time, but I think you get 8gpm on continuous hot water. Each faucet outlet is 2.6gpm, so theoretically you can have 3 fixtures run all the time with hot water.

Edited to add a fair price for ....

For a Rannai 2520 installed, we would charge $1500 , that included 8' of vent. This price doesn't include running electric or an individual gas or propane line to the fixture.

If it would help, I can get you a Rinnai 2520 for about $900 and you'd have to pay the shipping. PM me if your thinking of going this route

Edited by theeohiostate

Went tankless a month ago and seem to be going right along. We also have a tank heater in another part of the house, and I have to admit it gets the water hotter ... although we do have a way to increase the temp on the tankless and I just have not messed with it (guess it will keep the kids from burning themselves)