[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Poker Protocol?

Scooby

say you're 3 hrs deep in a poker tournamnet w/ local friends...$60 buy-in, then your wife calls you home because she has to take the 3 yr old to the ER for stitches and you have to come home and watch the baby, a sleeping baby.....all others are down to less than $10, and you have the majority of the pot, clearly winning, maybe $250 or so, are you:

A. S-O-L

B. Get your entry fee back

C. split the pot, say 2/3 to you and leave the rest for others to play it out

D. Get the whole pot, you've played for 3 hrs, winning at this point, call it a nite and wait till next week

E. Other, please explain

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

say you're 3 hrs deep in a poker tournamnet w/ local friends...$60 buy-in, then your wife calls you home because she has to take the 3 yr old to the ER for stitches and you have to come home and watch the baby, a sleeping baby.....all others are down to less than $10, and you have the majority of the pot, clearly winning, maybe $250 or so, are you:

A. S-O-L

B. Get your entry fee back

C. split the pot, say 2/3 to you and leave the rest for others to play it out

D. Get the whole pot, you've played for 3 hrs, winning at this point, call it a nite and wait till next week

E. Other, please explain

how many people were in the tournament? how many were left when you got the call?

how many people were in the tournament? how many were left when you got the call?

I'm guessing she made the call.

As to the question at hand. I would like to think the guys he was playing with would be honorable enough to, at absolute very least, give him his entry fee back. I know if I was one of the others, I'd let him walk with his chips and just call it a night. Everyone else could keep what they had.

Edited by detlef

If it's a local game with friends...

If it's exactly how you described with folks being down to 10 bucks or so, we'd probably give the person that has to leave some percentage of the pot (dependent on how many chips outstanding, we'd use the math to figure it out).

As to the question at hand. I would like to think the guys he was playing with would be honorable enough to, at absolute very least, give him his entry fee back. I know if I was one of the others, I'd let him walk with his chips and just call it a night. Everyone else could keep what they had.

Chop the tourney based on stack sizes. It happens all the time and if it's a local game with friends, you could just write down the stack sizes and the $$ to be divided. Have the game host hold the prize pool, and take care of it next time the game meets to get you to your family concern as quickly as possible.

+1 I wasnt sure if they bought in for $60 and played it tournament style....or played it like a cash game.....If they were playing a cash game then he should be able to bring home what he had in chips.....If it was a tournament then it all depends on how many people were left but at the very least he should of got his buyin back....

don't know much about the system, but I think it's a cash game, like previously mentioned, nothing carries over, whoever wins that nite, wins, he's had a great run so far, I think this particular nite only 5 or 6 showed up, some had already lost and left. Yep, it was me that called, I would never do so, but hey, my son busted open his chin on the hard floor, got 3 stitches, couldn't be glued together.. He did awesome, didn';t even cry when they put them in

don't know much about the system, but I think it's a cash game, like previously mentioned, nothing carries over, whoever wins that nite, wins, he's had a great run so far, I think this particular nite only 5 or 6 showed up, some had already lost and left. Yep, it was me that called, I would never do so, but hey, my son busted open his chin on the hard floor, got 3 stitches, couldn't be glued together.. He did awesome, didn';t even cry when they put them in

So how did they handle it?

after a rather large fight, they gave him his entry fee back

That's the minimally decent thing to do.

If tourney, makes sense. You say it was a large fight, I would strongly consider new friends that would put up a fight given the situation described.

If cash game, then players can come and go as they please, so he should have just cashed out and left.

Sounds like it was a shootout tourney. Family emergency trumps, though if I were involved I'd likely do as Sheikh suggested and come to some sort of chip chop, but then again I am a decent person, unlike the tools your husband is apparently playing with.

Thats kind of surprising to me that he had to fight and argue with his friends just to get his buyin back....They should of understood the situation and giving him his entry fee with no problem at all...especially after already playing for 3 hours. I can see there point if he barely had any chips but from what you said he was the chip leader at the time deep into the tournament..At the very least they should of giving him his buyin back..Besides, .Its only a game between friends with bragging rights and a lil money on the line.

May not be relevant, but has he had to leave many other games before. The only reason I ask is because we used to have a guy that always had "something come up" in the middle of the game. The first few times we let him get his enrty back, but when it started to become regular, we had to put a stop to it.

May not be relevant, but has he had to leave many other games before. The only reason I ask is because we used to have a guy that always had "something come up" in the middle of the game. The first few times we let him get his enrty back, but when it started to become regular, we had to put a stop to it.

never never leaves...he wins, why should he leave?

So while his three year old is waiting to go to the emergency room, he is fighting with his friends over 60 bucks. Everything I read about this guy says his priorities are not in order. Does he know you come on this site and air the laundry with strangers? I wonder how he would take that?

So while his three year old is waiting to go to the emergency room, he is fighting with his friends over 60 bucks. Everything I read about this guy says his priorities are not in order. Does he know you come on this site and air the laundry with strangers? I wonder how he would take that?

I like it. Makes me feel sorta like a brother.

Par for the course for this guy. He only thinks of himself. Then he probably whines about not getting enough action. But of course the important thing is he wins at poker. He sure is my hero.

I think your going alittle too far bro.