[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Chiropractors

Double Agent

I've been having some tightness in my back. Also some pain every once in a while when twisting or reaching for an object. A buddy recommended going to a chiropractor. So I went today and I feel like a new man. Session lasted a couple hours. So as I'm leaving, the receptionist says "we'll see you Wednesday!" She informs me that I need to come in 3 times a week and then it slowly tapers off from there.

Anyone have any experience with a chiropractor? I really don't think I need to see him again unless I still have discomfort. I would be up for once a month treatments but 3 times a week at $40 (copay) is not sounding fun to me. Plus I just don't have the time.

And I'm still not sold on chiropractors. But I do feel great.

I've been having some tightness in my back. Also some pain every once in a while when twisting or reaching for an object. A buddy recommended going to a chiropractor. So I went today and I feel like a new man. Session lasted a couple hours. So as I'm leaving, the receptionist says "we'll see you Wednesday!" She informs me that I need to come in 3 times a week and then it slowly tapers off from there.

Anyone have any experience with a chiropractor? I really don't think I need to see him again unless I still have discomfort. I would be up for once a month treatments but 3 times a week at $40 (copay) is not sounding fun to me. Plus I just don't have the time.

And I'm still not sold on chiropractors. But I do feel great.

Yes, don't buy the BS! Chiropracters can cause temporary relief but over time they do more damage than good. They loosen up the tendons and ligaments causing you to have to frequently return to get manipulated again. A better long term option is rolfing.

I think that's fairly common for a "new" injury or first time visit to a chiropractor. Takes a couple times for some of the adjustments to fully "take". I do think they milk that out a little bit if you have insurance.

I'd see how you feel the next day or two, would probably keep the next appt. Then let them schedule another one for the following week. If you're feeling better, just call and cancel it.

I thought the first two chiropractors I saw sucked. But I swear by the guy I see now, been seeing him for 12+ years. For the most part I go back once every 2-3 months.

I go occasionally. When I first started going, I did go 2x week for a while and tapered down to -- usually -- once per month. If it's acting up, I go more often.

What I like about the guy I go to is that I get 15 minutes of electronic muscle stimulation on whatever area is troublesome, followed by some stretching by the doc and then maybe some manipulation if needed. I'm generally out of there within 45 minutes. On my first visit, he took xrays of my back, did the EMS and some stretching but no manipulation. At the second visit, we went over the xrays and made a treatment plan.

Not all chiros work the same way and your copay is pretty steep (mine is $10). Talk with them about that and have them rework your plan.

I go occasionally. When I first started going, I did go 2x week for a while and tapered down to -- usually -- once per month. If it's acting up, I go more often.

What I like about the guy I go to is that I get 15 minutes of electronic muscle stimulation on whatever area is troublesome, followed by some stretching by the doc and then maybe some manipulation if needed. I'm generally out of there within 45 minutes. On my first visit, he took xrays of my back, did the EMS and some stretching but no manipulation. At the second visit, we went over the xrays and made a treatment plan.

Not all chiros work the same way and your copay is pretty steep (mine is $10). Talk with them about that and have them rework your plan.

:wacko:

Good point. My entire charge for adjustments is $48.

I was stuck on the once a month rotation for my neck for a few years. Then about 5 years ago I went with a 1/2 hour massage before seeing the Chiropractor. That made a hugh difference as I'm now at least 2 months between visits, if not 3 months.

:wacko:

You know, those little electrode type pads that make your muscles jump a little? They have this thingy with 4 leads -- two go on each side of your back. They dial it up to a level that feels comfortable and it basically gives you an electronic "massage" for 15 minutes. Pretty cool.

I'll ignore that you might have been insinuating something less wholesome. :D

You know, those little electrode type pads that make your muscles jump a little? They have this thingy with 4 leads -- two go on each side of your back. They dial it up to a level that feels comfortable and it basically gives you an electronic "massage" for 15 minutes. Pretty cool.

I'll ignore that you might have been insinuating something less wholesome. :D

It's a stim machine. And uh, yeah, I meant the wholesome thing... :wacko:

Yes, don't buy the BS! Chiropracters can cause temporary relief but over time they do more damage than good. They loosen up the tendons and ligaments causing you to have to frequently return to get manipulated again. A better long term option is rolfing.

This is what scares me about seeing one. I've been thinking about it for quite awhile. My buddy swears by his guy. He also sees him about 2-3 times a month. :wacko:

I am in the chiropractor camp. I go about every three weeks to a month and he does wonders. Sometimes I do need to go back in a day or two to really get a bugger of a pain. I pulled a rib out of its socket about eight years ago and when that goes out it is a two visit experience. Thankfully it is only about once a year. When I start up golfing in the spring, is a two visit time as well. Using different muscles four times a week when we really get cranked up here after winter. I swear by them. My guy is $35 and I take it out of our HSA.

I didn't believe in them either...my Doc said to go for some back pain years ago.

He told me for this problem it would be six visits, one per week. He said I was good after 4 and I was fixed. I was AMAZED!

From time to time I go back and every time it gets fixed.

I have always wondered about the massage and electro stuff, that seems weird to me. My guy checks me out and does the cracking and I am done. 5 - 10 minutes. I go maybe 5 times a year when something crops up.

I really trust him, he has told some people I refered their issue wasn't Chiro related, instead of milking them for un-needed treatment. Somethings you'd never guess were chiro related and are surprise me still. I had a tingling in my scalp that he cracked and it felt better instantly.

I feel very lucky to have one I trust and would freak out if he moved away. I do think there are quacks in the field.

$30 a visit

I go as often as needed ... usually once every 4-6 weeks ... occasionally 2x / wk if I foul something up ...

When I first started going, I went 3x the first week, 2x the second week and 1x the third and fourth weeks (iirc). Then, I moved to the 'maintenance' schedule I referenced above. "My guy" is also a naturopath; we get a variety of supplements from him. In fact, my whole family goes -- wife, kids, parents and several of our friends.

He helps people with all sorts of stuff ... for example, my mom had some really (REALLY) wierd nerve damage in her face due to something being out of whack with her jaw ... well, after about a month of treatment, my mom is better. My wife never has headaches any more. My son's asthma is getting better. Etc.