[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Dow over 7K...

cre8tiff

This is the reason you don't panic and take all your money out of the market. Missed almost 10% in 3 days. Sure it may go back down (which wouldn't surprise me in the least), however what if this is the start of a long-term rebound. It takes 3 years instead of days to get that 10% in a CD or other 'safe' investment.

This is the reason you don't panic and take all your money out of the market. Missed almost 10% in 3 days. Sure it may go back down (which wouldn't surprise me in the least), however what if this is the start of a long-term rebound. It takes 3 years instead of days to get that 10% in a CD or other 'safe' investment.

:wacko:

You only made 10% if your basis was at the absolute bottom.

If you buy a stock at $10, it drops to $2, then goes to $4, you'd be hard-pressed to beleive you "made" 100%.

If you buy a stock at $10, it drops to $2, then goes to $4, you'd be hard-pressed to beleive you "made" 100%.

Unless you left the market because you got skeered when it hit $2.

But the ones you bought for $2 have indeed risen 100%. And that's the point of staying in - the ones I bought yesterday have already appreciated and, critically, I bought more of them.

Up again for the 4th day in a row.

I watched the business roundtable with Obama yesterday and it seems his plan is to try and partner with business, not like Bush did with zero oversight, but to help them while conducting legal oversight.

It seems he wants business but also workers and the public to mutually succeed. So often in this country it seems business and workers and government are at odds with each other. If all 3 could sacrifice at times so they could all benefit long term we could be entering a new era of mutual cooperation in this country.

I'm hopeful.

But the ones you bought for $2 have indeed risen 100%. And that's the point of staying in - the ones I bought yesterday have already appreciated and, critically, I bought more of them.

Understood, but I doubt many timed the bottom exactly to get their shares at $2.

Conversely, had they dumped the shares they bought at $10, and all the others they bought at $9, $8, $7, $6, $5 & $4 somewhere along the way, they'd be much better off. Which makes Puddy's statement of "This is why you don't panic and stay in the market" a little misrepresented.

Those in the know that saw this devastation coming and got out when every indicator told you to do so are much better off than those that continued to program-buy all the way down.

Understood, but I doubt many timed the bottom exactly to get their shares at $2.

Conversely, had they dumped the shares they bought at $10, and all the others they bought at $9, $8, $7, $6, $5 & $4 somewhere along the way, they'd be much better off. Which makes Puddy's statement of "This is why you don't panic and stay in the market" a little misrepresented.

Those in the know that saw this devastation coming and got out when every indicator told you to do so are much better off than those that continued to program-buy all the way down.

I only wish I had plunked some cash down last week when citi hit penny stock range. :wacko:

OK, I get that but with a 401k you pay tax and penalties if you pull the money out, exacerbating the problem. Certainly you could just stop contributing but you'd lose the company match if you have one. Perhaps you could only contribute up to the company match.

The problem many of us have is that we could not possibly move back into the market fast enough. Most of us would have to have our payroll departments jack up our contributions again, thus locking in weeks of delay before purchases were made. That is tens of thousands in gains down the tube and also no shares bought at the bottom.

The bottom line is that most of us have no idea how to time the market sufficiently well to get out and back in at the right time, plus we are in it for the long haul, which historically pays off.

It seems he wants business but also workers and the public to mutually succeed. So often in this country it seems business and workers and government are at odds with each other. If all 3 could sacrifice at times so they could all benefit long term we could be entering a new era of mutual cooperation in this country.

I'm hopeful.

That would be nice but business/government will always be screwing the little man.

OK, I get that but with a 401k you pay tax and penalties if you pull the money out, exacerbating the problem.

Couldn't you just shift the allocation of your contributions to non-stock related investments? This way, you could still contribute, still get your employer match, and not be tied to market performance.

I get what you are saying about history, but history has a funny way of being re-written. While the stock market has produced great returns when looking at a 40-60 year horizon, there have been periods where if you invested during a down-cycle, you likley will never see the same "historical" returns.

Look at the last 11 years....if you invested regularlay via your 401K from January 1997 thru today, you are in some tough shape. You bought all the way up, at or near the peak for a couple years, and all the way down. Much of your holdings are in funds tied to stock performance when the market was 12,000-13,000. It will likely take years and years for those investments to even just break even. And on buys you made at 10,000-12,000 levels, your IRR will likely be in the low single-digits when you cash them in in 20-30 years.

Point is, I get the perceived value of continuing to buy at reduced-levels to offset higher-buys....but what if the market has gone thru a long-term correction, and values have premanently been reset? I think we have likely seen such an event.

ETA: I don't mean to sound condecending, nor a know it all...I too suffered some ugly losses before moving my money out of stocks in November. And it certainly is easier for me to tout this position after-the-fact....kind of like playing Monday AM quarterback.

Edited by i_am_the_swammi

Point is, I get the perceived value of continuing to buy at reduced-levels to offset higher-buys....but what if the market has gone thru a long-term correction, and values have premanently been reset? I think we have likely seen such an event.

I agree. Unless Obama and crew pull something out of a magic hat, then we are looking at a long term correction.

We could only keep borrowing money, policing the world, and having wars against the Middle East for so long.

Some people growing up in American have never seen us at peace.