[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Cork It! FFL

twiley

Slightly off topic and in no way intended as a knock on the Brunello being offered up (because I bet it's pretty damned delicious, especially right now). Just more of a public service announcement. Many are back-tracking on the vintage of the century talk and are simply saying that it's a generous vintage that should yield great wines for intermediate consumption (like for the last few and next five or so years). Kind of like what happened with '85 Bordeaux and what could also be bearing out with '97 Cali Cab.

Obviously there's absolutely nothing wrong with that as nearly all of us don't have the means to hold on to our wines forever and you should hardly be bummed that you don't have to. None the less, if, for instance, you got married in 97 and were holding on to a bottle for your 25th anniversary, you just might want to fire it open on your 15th.

when should I drink this: 1997 Castello Banfi Brunello di Montalcino Riserva Poggio All'Oro

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

when should I drink this: 1997 Castello Banfi Brunello di Montalcino Riserva Poggio All'Oro

If it is any indication, I drank a bottle of their 97 regular Brunello last year and I certainly didn't regret it. Yours is a bit fancier and I would hardly be surprised to see a wine of that stature to last a good long time. Banfi, after all, was pretty much the darling of the vintage. Like Opie, I wouldn't be surprised to see that thing go 25 years at all.

Overall though, I tend to look at it this way. I would be stunned if you opened that wine at age 15 and found it closed up. Certainly not so much so that you couldn't just decant it and come back to it in an hour or something. (I'm assuming that you'll pick a special night at home for that so you can wait it out over a bottle of bubbly or something). To me, that beats the hell out of waiting until it's a few years past it's prime.

Another major, major thing to keep in mind is that winemakers are making wines that taste better younger. With all the celebrity chefs and high profile restaurants, they all want to be on those lists. To be on those lists, you can't make a wine that is impossible to enjoy for 10 years. They also want to knock Bobby Parker's socks off. This comes at the expense, however, of longevity but again, that isn't necc. a bad thing.

amen!

We had a 1991 Brunello two years ago that was outstanding. I wouldn't bother waiting past 15 years. Drink that bitch :wacko:

Well, in all fairness, 91 wasn't the vintage that 97 was. Here's a pretty decent resource. Certainly a bit broader brush that you typically want to paint but not a bad place to get an idea...

Vintage chart

Well, in all fairness, 91 wasn't the vintage that 97 was. Here's a pretty decent resource. Certainly a bit broader brush that you typically want to paint but not a bad place to get an idea...

Vintage chart

thanks (Now I know for sure to choose a 2002 Châteauneuf du Pape for the league.) :wacko:

Dammnit Det, quit giving them info. :D

If it is any indication, I drank a bottle of their 97 regular Brunello last year and I certainly didn't regret it. Yours is a bit fancier and I would hardly be surprised to see a wine of that stature to last a good long time. Banfi, after all, was pretty much the darling of the vintage. Like Opie, I wouldn't be surprised to see that thing go 25 years at all.

Overall though, I tend to look at it this way. I would be stunned if you opened that wine at age 15 and found it closed up. Certainly not so much so that you couldn't just decant it and come back to it in an hour or something. (I'm assuming that you'll pick a special night at home for that so you can wait it out over a bottle of bubbly or something). To me, that beats the hell out of waiting until it's a few years past it's prime.

I stocked up on a bunch of the '97 when they first came out and started enjoying them over the past year on special occassions - had the first one with my Dad and step-son last year for Fathers day - good stuff!

Ok, so I know this guy. He's more of a Huddle lurker than a Huddle regular, but he said he'd be interested in this league. He's reasonably competent at both FFL and wine. Thoughts?

I would love to be in. I am an hombre of the Kid Cid. And I love great wine.

Yes, this is the guy I mentioned.

I don't care if you like good wine, as long a you give up good wine when you lose, everyone here will think you are cool and groovy.

Vintage chart

Obvious misprint for the 07 Oregon Pinot. It says 94T on the PDF you linked, but on ebob's site, it says 84T on the HTML version of the same chart. I strongly believe that the 84T is the correct score.

A score of 94 would rank the highest rated Oregon Pinot vintage ever. 84 will be the lowest since 96. That just makes so much more sense because honestly, the wines are just not good. I know I've said this before but take an 05, pour out half the bottle, top it off again with water and you have an 07.

Looking forward to 08s! That vintage should hit the 92-93 mark.

Hey do we want to leave this named WFFL or change it to something more descriptive? How about calling it "Puking on the Star Trek Experience" in honor of twiley?

Hey do we want to leave this named WFFL or change it to something more descriptive? How about calling it "Puking on the Star Trek Experience" in honor of twiley?

We should change it.

The Experience never saw it coming, then again neither did I. :wacko:

Just something to keep in mind. I believe it is illegal to ship wine to certain states. That differs, state to state, whether the shipment is coming from an individual, distributor, or retailer. For example, I don't believe wine can be shipped by an individual to someone in Pennsylvania. At least it was an issue (and by issue, I mean felony) a couple of years ago. Definitely something to keep in mind.

I know that wine can be shipped to Oregon so you all don't have to worry about that one.

Obvious misprint for the 07 Oregon Pinot. It says 94T on the PDF you linked, but on ebob's site, it says 84T on the HTML version of the same chart. I strongly believe that the 84T is the correct score.

A score of 94 would rank the highest rated Oregon Pinot vintage ever. 84 will be the lowest since 96. That just makes so much more sense because honestly, the wines are just not good. I know I've said this before but take an 05, pour out half the bottle, top it off again with water and you have an 07.

Looking forward to 08s! That vintage should hit the 92-93 mark.

That one stuck out as well. I know a lot of purists aren't as high on the '06s as the press or many others are and I've even heard some say they prefer the '07s (that I'd actually written off as contrarian BS). For that matter, I've had some that I liked (always from top producers, mind you), but couldn't help but think that was because they were not as bad as I'd been led to believe.

When I saw that rating, my first thought was to wonder if we'd all been fooled. Apparently not.

That one stuck out as well. I know a lot of purists aren't as high on the '06s as the press or many others are and I've even heard some say they prefer the '07s (that I'd actually written off as contrarian BS). For that matter, I've had some that I liked (always from top producers, mind you), but couldn't help but think that was because they were not as bad as I'd been led to believe.

When I saw that rating, my first thought was to wonder if we'd all been fooled. Apparently not.

I actually think the score for 06s is too high. The benefit for me regarding 06 Oregon Pinots was that they were pretty good and ready to drink right now. That allowed me to continue sitting on more of the 04s, 05s, and 02s (all of which I think are actually better representations of good Oregon Pinot across the board). The 06s were definitely more fruit forward and for the people who appreciate CA Pinots over Burgundies, the wines were probably more up their alley. I personally like something in between.

Regarding 07s, there are some gems out there certainly, but at this point, they are few and far between. Throughout the entire valley, there are some many different vineyard structures, soils, and irrigation that some vineyards had to do well. I've had a couple from Patty Green that were very good, but others that missed the mark...but they have something like 17 different vineyards spread out across a fairly large area, slopes facing every direction, bowls, and the soil changes quite a bit from area to area.