[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Broncos Pick?

bpwallace49

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know, but the Donks really seem to have underperformed with all the picks they had. Pretty much a :wacko:

I saw the HC too and he make Rivers and Cutler look like Donnie and Marie. What an ass!

Feeling good as a Bolt fan for the next few years!

Oh, and did you hear the local interviews of Moreno after he was selected? He stated that DEN had absolutely no contact with him prior to his selection, and that it surprised him completely. Then they interview McDaniels (who was abouty 45 minutes late - looking for some Advil or Midol, I guess) and he states that he had talked to Moreno numerous times prior to the draft. Sound vaguely familiar...?

All the other Denver players have got to be thinking, crap, McDaniels' word is garbage, we can't trust anything he says.

I am now firmly entrenched in the anti-McDummy camp. Throw Xanders in there as well, since he and the coach seem to be joined at the hip. Trading away our 1st rounder next year for a CB, and both 3rd rounders this year to move up and take a tight end who made 12 receptions last year, is completely mind boggling.

two rumors on that... some on the team think that we're going to suck so much that we'll have a top 3 pick and Bowlen doesn't have the money to sign that player. The other rumor is that some on the team think we'll be so good that we'll have a lower pick than CHI... :D ... :D:wacko:

I like the picks, but they could've been had cheaper. McDummy says, "that's the value we had for them and we're happy with what we spent."

So fookin' stupid. Should Xanders have educated Ronald McDaniels on some basic economics?

If you think a Prius is worth $50,000, do you pay that much? Or do you go to another dealership and pay $30k?

Exactly. It was the value of the picks that is in question. Perhaps Smith might not have been there at their pick in the 2nd, and from what I've read about him, he's a pretty solid player who should be able to contribute right away. However, I think they are high if they feel Quinn would not have been available at their slot in the third round.

I'm feeling a little better about the Moreno pick, but I wonder if he will have trouble adjusting to Denver. I was dismayed to see him sitting at the card table playing spades, with his hat on sideways, when the call came in. I hope he is a good character guy and will stay out of trouble.

Despite a lot of people on this board naming their kid Ryan and their dog Torain, their stable of rb's was basically crap so i don't really see how anyone can criticize picking a RB.

Moreno's nasty. Being in Denver is scary for what his potential can be.

1RB

3DB

1TE

1OG

1WR

and ONE DEF front seven.

This is where drafting the BPA is sometimes just stupid.

Or does the Denver Coaching staff believe they have the resources in the front seven to be successful?!

Hoody Jr. is a genius, dude. His 1-4-6 D is going to revolutionize the NFL, and we're on the cutting edge. Learn to love it like the rest of the NFL soon will be after they copy his incredibly insightfulness.

Edited by Bronco Billy

It doesn't matter how many RBs are on the teams, add all of the backups together and they do not have the talent of Moreno. Moreno was the best player on the UGA team, not Stafford.

While that may be true, even if Moreno is all that and becomes the featured RB, How much do you think he and any of the RBs that would be his running mate would do compared to a 3 RB tandem without him? Another 100 rushing yds, maybe? That's a damned poor tradeoff for using the 1.12 for a RB when there are such gigantic holes in the D line.

Unless this kid is in fact the next Walter Payton, there is no way to justify this pick - especially when you figure that DEN is going to be a pass first team under Hoody Jr. Even if one could justify it, you trade down to get him and acquire additional picks to do it. Instead Hoody Jr is pissing away drft picks like crazy to draft guys who would have been there if he would have stood pat beyond the first round. He also traded away the DEN first rounder next year, assuming that DEN would finish with a better record than the Bears. That goes way beyond arrogance to being stupid enough to not understand the shortcomings of your team.

There is simply no way to rationalize the Moreno pick.

Edited by Bronco Billy

While that may be true, even if Moreno is all that and becomes the featured RB, How much do you think he and any of the RBs that would be his running mate would do compared to a 3 RB tandem without him? Another 100 rushing yds, maybe? That's a damned poor tradeoff for using the 1.12 for a RB when there are such gigantic holes in the D line.

Unless this kid is in fact the next Walter Payton, there is no way to justify this pick - especially when you figure that DEN is going to be a pass first team under Hoody Jr. Even if one could justify it, you trade down to get him and acquire additional picks to do it. Instead Hoody Jr is pissing away drft picks like crazy to draft guys who would have been there if he would have stood pat beyond the first round. He also traded away the DEN first rounder next year, assuming that DEN would finish with a better record than the Bears. That goes way beyond arrogance to being stupid enough to not understand the shortcomings of your team.

There is simply no way to rationalize the Moreno pick.

I figure this, at the time they picked Moreno was the best talent on the board, and in the NFL a RB can come in and contribute immediately.

Buckhalter is 30 and has injury problems, Arrington is already 26, and has proved nothing, Lamont Jordan is also 30. None of these guys are the answer. While Young and Torain are young, they haven't proved they can consistently be a feature back, but they can spell a feature back. They did not show as much as Moreno in college, and Moreno is not an injury risk.

The Broncos are still trying to win now because their division isn't that great, and what do you do when you have a QB that can't take over a game or a defense that can do the same? You have a great back that can control the clock and set up the passing game. That's what the Broncos got in Moreno.

Moreno has a motor that never stops, he is tough to tackle, a really good receiver, and can put a team on his back. He is the reason UGA won as many games as they did, if teams shut down him....the opponent usually won the game. If teams shut down Stafford, Moreno ran all over them and won.

Edited by CD6405

I figure this, at the time they picked Moreno was the best talent on the board, and in the NFL a RB can come in and contribute immediately.

Buckhalter is 30 and has injury problems, Arrington is already 26, and has proved nothing, Lamont Jordan is also 30. None of these guys are the answer. While Young and Torain are young, they haven't proved they can consistently be a feature back, but they can spell a feature back. They did not show as much as Moreno in college, and Moreno is not an injury risk.

Again, rushing the ball wasn't the issue with the team last year. They had to go 7 deep on their depth chart at RB and those 7 guys each contributed 130 yds or more rushing - including using a FB and a cast off who was selling phones at the Aurora Mall before he was called back. They finished 12th in the league in rushing.

The D front line was the major issue. The leading tackler on the D-line had 29 tackles and 9 assists last year, and as incredulous as it is, they've actually taken a step backwards there. They fixed a problem that wasn't broken. But to go along with actually making the D-line worse, they are changing schemes where they have arguabbly one guy currently on the roster who might be able to start in a 3-4, and now they've got a hugh drop off in the passing O to go with it.

If Moreno goes for 1400 yds and his compliment goes for 250 yds next year, the rushing game is about right where it was but other parts of the team have either not been upgraded or have taken a serious hit for the worse. Moreno might be awesome, but even if he were AD reincarnate DEN has taken a ginormous step backwards as a team. And Moreno won't get to make a significant impact in the 2nd half of games as they try to play catch up with a QB, whomever he is, who can't get the ball downfield for big plays effectively and a D that simply won't be capable of getting the ball back. Moreno, even if his talent translates 100% to the NFL - which is very questionable for any rookie, is simply going to have very limited opportunies.

That's not even addressing whether Moreno does in fact become the featured RB and how much McDaniels emulates the NE game plan and takes away even more opportunity with a RBBC approach (we've seen him through any football logic and wisdom out the window with personnel, why wouldn't he do the same with game scheming?) or simply by trying to throw the ball 35+ times a game. I just don't see where your rational comes from...

Again, rushing the ball wasn't the issue with the team last year. They had to go 7 deep on their depth chart at RB and those 7 guys each contributed 130 yds or more rushing - including using a FB and a cast off who was selling phones at the Aurora Mall before he was called back. They finished 12th in the league in rushing.

The D front line was the major issue. The leading tackler on the D-line had 29 tackles and 9 assists last year, and as incredulous as it is, they've actually taken a step backwards there. They fixed a problem that wasn't broken. But to go along with actually making the D-line worse, they are changing schemes where they have arguabbly one guy currently on the roster who might be able to start in a 3-4, and now they've got a hugh drop off in the passing O to go with it.

If Moreno goes for 1400 yds and his compliment goes for 250 yds next year, the rushing game is about right where it was but other parts of the team have either not been upgraded or have taken a serious hit for the worse. Moreno might be awesome, but even if he were AD reincarnate DEN has taken a ginormous step backwards as a team. And Moreno won't get to make a significant impact in the 2nd half of games as they try to play catch up with a QB, whomever he is, who can't get the ball downfield for big plays effectively and a D that simply won't be capable of getting the ball back. Moreno, even if his talent translates 100% to the NFL - which is very questionable for any rookie, is simply going to have very limited opportunies.

That's not even addressing whether Moreno does in fact become the featured RB and how much McDaniels emulates the NE game plan and takes away even more opportunity with a RBBC approach (we've seen him through any football logic and wisdom out the window with personnel, why wouldn't he do the same with game scheming?) or simply by trying to throw the ball 35+ times a game. I just don't see where your rational comes from...

You missed the entire second half of my post explaining why the running game would be important.

You missed the entire second half of my post explaining why the running game would be important.

No, I didn't. I rebutted your argument by showing why DEN will not be able to dictate terms of the game to other teams. They can run all they want. It will only increase the margin of defeat for them. The D won't be capable of stopping anyone.

Shanny isn't calling the shots anymore, McBronco is. Jordan and Buckhalter are aging, Arrington isn't an every down back and Torrain was Shanahan's pick. I'm not trying to justify the Moreno pick but if you look at it the only rational conclusion would be that McDaniel wants Moreno to be the guy, and his talent and college career attest to that.

This is just a hunch but I think Moreno will be the starter come day 1. Heck, training camp hasn't even started yet and we're all (myself included) basing our speculations on a philosophy that doesn't exist in the Bronco's organization. I blame PSSD (Post Shanahan Stress Disorder) as the reason for our worries.

Edited by RylenolFlu

The Broncos are still trying to win now because their division isn't that great, and what do you do when you have a QB that can't take over a game or a defense that can do the same? You have a great back that can control the clock and set up the passing game. That's what the Broncos got in Moreno.

Here's the problem with trying to get this point across to some people. They don't understand that just because your team has a bad defense, that doesn't mean the other team is going to score on every possession. They tend to forget how Atlanta's D wasn't that great yet they had the best running game in the NFL while winning some games.

Having a good RB who can help control the clock and take LBs out of pass defense is pretty helpful for whoever is QB.

Here's the problem with trying to get this point across to some people. They don't understand that just because your team has a bad defense, that doesn't mean the other team is going to score on every possession. They tend to forget how Atlanta's D wasn't that great yet they had the best running game in the NFL while winning some games.

Having a good RB who can help control the clock and take LBs out of pass defense is pretty helpful for whoever is QB.

that defense was bad last year and they were playing in a defensive scheme that their players fit in better...watching them try to play a 3-4 with the people they have now is just gonna make it exponentially that much worse...and I dont care who they have at RB and along the OL

that defense was bad last year and they were playing in a defensive scheme that their players fit in better...watching them try to play a 3-4 with the people they have now is just gonna make it exponentially that much worse...and I dont care who they have at RB and along the OL

And Moreno will help to keep them off the field so the sucky D can rest and be yelled at to play better. Would it have been better to have your team's draft rest on starting a good defensive player as a rookie? I'm sure that one rookie could stop Manning, Brady, and Big Ben.

And Moreno will help to keep them off the field so the sucky D can rest and be yelled at to play better. Would it have been better to have your team's draft rest on starting a good defensive player as a rookie? I'm sure that one rookie could stop Manning, Brady, and Big Ben.

i will reply to this tomm but you might want to think about what you wrote

And here's the problem with trying to get the point across to you. In order to use the running game to shorten games, you have to either be ahead or be involved in a very close game. The Bronco D line is not going to provide any meaningful obstacle to the other team's passing or rushing attack, meaning that the other team will be capable of setting the tempo of the game, not DEN. While other teams won't score every possession (I don't know where you came up with that notion, no one I know thinks that way), they will surrender a lot of yards and points.

The passing game is going to be much worse than last year (it has to be - there's no way they'll pass for 3500 yds, much less 4500 yds), so you have 4 of the 5 facets of the game with either a non-improvement at the very best (run D, pass D, and special teams) or a dramatic drop off (pass O) without a significant gain in the last facet (run O). Again, say what you want about Moreno, but the run O won't show a hugh gain over last season - they were good last season. The Broncos are going to show a significant drop as a team - they have to. Bad teams that have good runners who put up substantial yards have at least a credible D to keep games close. DEN does not have that.

Do you think Hoody Jr, is just going to feed the ball to Moreno in the second half play after play when they are down by 17 or 20 points? Bronco fans will hang him from the south goal post.

Edited by Bronco Billy

Moreno will be great for fantasy football.

Unfortunately the Broncos will lose 12 games because they will give up at least 28 points by halftime.

I have serious concerns about that front seven.

Is McDaniels calling the plays?