[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Re-siding a house w/ vinyl siding...

rocknrobn26

We are planning on re-siding our house. It currently is aluminum, ~28 yo, discolored, and dented in quite a few places. No way to repair.

The house has ~ 2,400sq ft total (it's a multilevel split), and all the houses here are similar. All the wood trim is already capped, so we only need siding.

Any idea how much to expect?

TIA

I hate vinyl. I'd look for alternatives too. It's not my house of course but vinyl looks like plastic to me.

How about cement siding or engineered wood? More labor but vinyl puts a skin over the house which hides leaks and other problems that may happen inside the walls.

I looked at it. From the street they look the same, but close up the ES does look nicer. The cost, is about 60% more than vinyl, and everyone in our neighborhood has vinyl/aluminum. The cost thing is the biggie, plus the unknown maintenance factor. I'm sure it will have to be refinished in 10-15 years. Thanks for the input.

An honest answer in the PA area to rip off and replace is +-$600.00 a square yard for good viny for most contractors. I know that you can find people that will do the job as low as $400.00 a SQ depending on the house. I mean like any other job, if it is an easy job then it is cheaper but a pretty solid ball park for this area is around the $600 a SQ range to do it all.

An honest answer in the PA area to rip off and replace is +-$600.00 a square yard for good viny for most contractors. I know that you can find people that will do the job as low as $400.00 a SQ depending on the house. I mean like any other job, if it is an easy job then it is cheaper but a pretty solid ball park for this area is around the $600 a SQ range to do it all.

I think your area and mine are similar. I also assume that the price you quoted includes Tyvek, which is one thing we REALLY need.

$600 or $60 /sq yd? @$60/sq yd and 2400 sq ft of existing siding, the cost would be:

2400 sq ft / 9 sq ft = 266 sq yds x $60 = $15,960. Or am I doing something wrong? :wacko:

When I was in the business (1978-9) we were charging ~$1.75/ sq ft.. W/ a 3x-4x inflation factor $60/ sq yd ($6.66/ sq ft) is right in the ball park.

Granted my sq ft est. is real rough and high, but close enough.

The materials are top grade, IMHO. Alside siding, ProVia doors... (forgot to mention I'm getting a Prime and storm door for the back also).

If I may digress:

The contractor is someone I have used for all my replacement windows, all the capping of the trim, front entry/storm door, porch columns, and something else that escapes me. Family owned for 33 years, local, have done me several favors for free (A funny story on that one) and do quality/clean work. I've gotten to the point in life where if I find a good reliable contractor (Be it plumbing, electrical, exterminator, painter, etc,) I no longer go out for other estimates as I've been thru just about every scam they can put you thru. Maybe that exposes me some, but having worked for schools where the lowest bid wins, I have seen too many nightmares.

Anyone else? Perch?

Yes you are doing the math right up there, RR. I did a quick cost sheet based on a contractor that I worked with when I was in high school and a few years out of school. I am still pretty close with the guy and still do some work with him at times. My numbers are not perfect but they are going to be close enough for you to get a pretty good idea.

Oh and I very much agree with you on your school experince and your ideas about sticking with a quality contractor that you have used in the past. It has been my experince that contractors that know you do take better care of you. Even if that means just making sure that the job is done right.

Edited by Skippy

WOW ; 600$ a square to rip and re-side ?!!!! No wonder people think contractors are crooks. Way to high. Figure material cost @ 100$ /sq. for top of the line Certainteed vinyl & accessories (channels/corners etc) , add 25$ a sq. for fanfold or rigid insul. The trim is already capped. Hows about the soffit and fascias ? , figure an additional $5. a foot L&M depending on difficulty for this.

A job like this would go for 3-400 a square here, and the contractor would make a few bucks for turning the old aluminum in for scrap.

Apparently I need to raise my rates or move to Pa. :wacko:

I hate vinyl. I'd look for alternatives too. It's not my house of course but vinyl looks like plastic to me.

How about cement siding or engineered wood? More labor but vinyl puts a skin over the house which hides leaks and other problems that may happen inside the walls.

I resided my house with Foundry Vinyl Shake

We love the look. Of course, I did it all myself, so the cost was way low (just materials.)

I never thought I would go for vinyl either (was saving for cedar shake). But when I saw this stuff, we pulled the trigger.

Just wondering, is the 2400 sq ft area of your house or is it the estimated amount of area that needis siding?

2400 is the approx. sq footage of siding. As I said it's rough and could be 2,000 sq ft, regardless, the price Skippy gave is right in the ballpark.

WOW ; 600$ a square to rip and re-side ?!!!! No wonder people think contractors are crooks. Way to high. Figure material cost @ 100$ /sq. for top of the line Certainteed vinyl & accessories (channels/corners etc) , add 25$ a sq. for fanfold or rigid insul. The trim is already capped. Hows about the soffit and fascias ? , figure an additional $5. a foot L&M depending on difficulty for this.

A job like this would go for 3-400 a square here, and the contractor would make a few bucks for turning the old aluminum in for scrap.

Apparently I need to raise my rates or move to Pa. :wacko:

ALL the trim is covered, corners, facia, soffits, included. So it's siding, channels, Tyvek, nails, 2 doors (1 storm & 1 prime) etc. PLUS labor.

We're pulling the pin today after deciding on the color.

Thanks all.

Edited by rocknrobn26

Yes you are doing the math right up there, RR. I did a quick cost sheet based on a contractor that I worked with when I was in high school and a few years out of school. I am still pretty close with the guy and still do some work with him at times. My numbers are not perfect but they are going to be close enough for you to get a pretty good idea.

Oh and I very much agree with you on your school experince and your ideas about sticking with a quality contractor that you have used in the past. It has been my experince that contractors that know you do take better care of you. Even if that means just making sure that the job is done right.

+1

600 bucks a square yard = how much for 2,400 sq feet?

Isn't it 3 feet in one yard so 2,400 square feet equals 800 square yards...therefore, you're looking at around 480,000 dollars?

I suck at this.

600 bucks a square yard = how much for 2,400 sq feet?

Isn't it 3 feet in one yard so 2,400 square feet equals 800 square yards...therefore, you're looking at around 480,000 dollars?

I suck at this.

it is 3 feet per linear yard, so square that to get 9 square feet per square yard for (2400/9)=266.667 square yards. At $600/sq yd that is $160,000. still :wacko:

Edited by Big John

it is 3 feet per linear yard, so square that to get 9 square feet per square yard for (2400/9)=266.667 square yards. At $600/sq yd that is $160,000. still :wacko:

I must be forgetting to carry a few ones or something. I could see it being $16,000 tops. :D

Edited by TimC

:D I'm guessing Skippy is off in his price.

Either that, or we need to tap siding contractors to help with the bailout. :D

:D I'm guessing Skippy is off in his price.

Either that, or we need to tap siding contractors to help with the bailout. :wacko:

My house I built 2 years ago is 2,600 sq feet....the price included vinyl siding. Little did I know like 60% of the house cost was simply that. :D

1 square = 100 square ft. (10 x 10)

RR let me get this straight ; 24 sq. strip and install , no soffit or fascias. Install entrance & storm door. All labor and materials included.

$14,400 ? :wacko: Seriously, you are paying at least 6 grand to much. Your contractor is getting paid for any freebies he did for you in the past ; in spades.

Edited by Front Row

1 square = 100 square ft. (10 x 10)

RR let me get this straight ; 24 sq. strip and install , no soffit or fascias. Install entrance & storm door. All labor and materials included.

$14,400 ? :wacko: Seriously, you are paying at least 6 grand to much. Your contractor is getting paid for any freebies he did for you in the past ; in spades.

BTW...$14,012 was the final figure and we added the grids & blinds to the prime door along w/ better lock sets. You're not in this area, but you're entitled to your opinion.

After calling some neighbors who had it done recently, the lowest figure was ~ $18,000 w/ trim and soffit, no doors. This price (turned out to be 2550sf) works out to $4.80/sf. When we had a door/siding business back in 1978-9, we used to charge $1.50/sf for just siding. Can't remember how we priced the trim. Adjust at least 3x for just inflation and the pricing is very close. And if it is a little higher, as I said I know they will be here 10 years from now. FWIW...I recc'd these guys to my neighbors for windows last year. They went w/ another "cheaper" contractor (~10-15% savings). Of the 8 windows they had done, 5 developed condensation...in less than a year. A good, responsible, reliable contractor to me is worth more than that. A lot more.

Sounds insanely high - even considering regional differences. Wow.

You're right...I got ripped! Could have gotten the job done for $4,000 and a new Pontiac as a reward. Never thought of that. I'll call you the next time and get the best deal! Do you contract in this area?

You're right...I got ripped! Could have gotten the job done for $4,000 and a new Pontiac as a reward. Never thought of that. I'll call you the next time and get the best deal! Do you contract in this area?

Sheesh - defensive much? Not typical of you, so I suspect there's something else going on - hope everything is OK. :wacko:

I am telling you guys that think that those prices are way high that they really are not. I mean yes it is a ton of money to spend but a good contractor that is using high quality materials and guaranteeing his work is going to be in that ballpark all around my area. Is the contractor making money? Yes he sure is but again in my area you are going to pay right around those prices for a good contractor to do that job.

Now I know from my experience that I could find someone to do that same job at close to half that price if I really tried but it is not going to be the same job with the same material and workmanship. Good luck getting them to come back and fix a problem eight months after the install.