[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Rethinking the Raiders draft

polksalet

I was sitting around last night thinking about the farce that was the Raiders draft and tried to find some logic about something, anything. I have to say it but I think they might have hit upon something. I'm to recap the entire train wreck so I'll just hit a couple of high points. Yes, I think they would have better served by getting Crab than Heyward-Bey. If you have read anything i've written over the last two years you are aware that i believe Crab is the most complete and NFL ready WR I've seen in a long time. However let's look at this team specific. The Raiders have a big quarterback with a rocket arm and a tiny brain. Crab excels at making cathes in hard places. Unfortunately this is not a good match for Russell as he lacks the vision and accuracy to ever get the ball to someone like Crab. However with Bey and the other guy he has two of the fastest players in the league which will allow him to do what he does best. That thing is to mindlessely fling bombs up and down the field. If they are able to complete a few of these inaccurate bombs from time to time the opposing secondary will have to relax on the run a little and this should correlate to a better rushing attack from the criminals in the backfield. I also like the LB they added. I know he slid some but He seems legit to me and I think he will at least provide some good depth.

So in summary the Raiders weren't as bad as their record suggested (overall) last year and sometimes they looked like and NFL team. Therefore with this new firepower in their offense and a decent D I really think they will go .500 this year. I mean that's not fantastic but I think it is a good increase.

fwiw, i read that the Bears were set to select Mitchell just 2 picks after the Raiders took him in the 2nd round...not sure if that means that Jerry Angelo is taking the same meds that Al is on or if Al is actually on to something with Mitchell

fwiw, i read that the Bears were set to select Mitchell just 2 picks after the Raiders took him in the 2nd round...not sure if that means that Jerry Angelo is taking the same meds that Al is on or if Al is actually on to something with Mitchell

I don't know enough about Mitchell to make a judgment. He certainly look and measures the part so who knows. Just because someone plays college football in Ohio doesn't mean they will be a bust in the NFL.

I don't know enough about Mitchell to make a judgment. He certainly look and measures the part so who knows. Just because someone plays college football in Ohio doesn't mean they will be a bust in the NFL.

And just because some mock draft schmoes think a guy will be something/nothing doesn't make them right.

Who knows...maybe the old coot might have some brains left in there.

the point is that many "draft experts" etc had him graded as a 7th rounder or UDFA...so does that mean this kid is a gem since another team was ready to take him in the 2nd or that Angelo is just as out of touch as Al :wacko:

the point is that many "draft experts" etc had him graded as a 7th rounder or UDFA...so does that mean this kid is a gem since another team was ready to take him in the 2nd or that Angelo is just as out of touch as Al :wacko:

Who knows, but I would wager he does as well as a lot of the more highly touted players.

So in summary the Raiders weren't as bad as their record suggested (overall) last year and sometimes they looked like and NFL team. Therefore with this new firepower in their offense and a decent D I really think they will go .500 this year. I mean that's not fantastic but I think it is a good increase.

A .500 record can mean winning the AFC West Divsion Title.

:wacko:

Only time will tell, but its hard to believe that the legions of scouts and GM's out there missed out on this guy despite spending tons of hours watching games and analyzing tapes, but that Al Davis and his team found a guy worthy of that high of a pick.

I doubt Chicago was really going to take him anyway. Why would anyone take a guy early that's projected to go in the 7th round? You could easily wait until the 3rd or 4th and still take that guy if you really wanted him.

I like Ryan Grant for the upcoming season. Should I take him with the 1st overall pick?

Only time will tell, but its hard to believe that the legions of scouts and GM's out there missed out on this guy despite spending tons of hours watching games and analyzing tapes, but that Al Davis and his team found a guy worthy of that high of a pick.

I doubt Chicago was really going to take him anyway. Why would anyone take a guy early that's projected to go in the 7th round? You could easily wait until the 3rd or 4th and still take that guy if you really wanted him.

I like Ryan Grant for the upcoming season. Should I take him with the 1st overall pick?

No but he's been going in the 5th to 7th rounds in startup leagues. Take him in the 2nd. :wacko:

His ADP in PPR is 56.26

Edited by Randall

You could easily wait until the 3rd or 4th and still take that guy if you really wanted him.

Except that he didn't fall .... so that plan doesn't really work does it?

You want someone... then you should go get 'em. Doesn't matter where all the "experts" think that that player should go.

Bears deny this on NFL network last night. They were prepared to take him in the 4th at the earliest. But they did call him and tell him they had a few guys they were looking at, and were prepared to take him early on day 2. Seems this kid or his agent played the Raiders into saying if you want me, you better get me in now.

I love it.

Edited by Sgt Ryan

Do you think he will be the top player, and do you think he will be unavailable at your second pick?

Then, yes, you should take him at 1.01. Why would you not?

Because no one else in their right minds will be taking him in the first two rounds. I could get a very good player at 1.01 and wait until later in the draft to get him, even if its a few rounds earlier than he should go. then I get two studs. Your way, you get Grant, who may be good, and crap later.

BTW, we have an opening in my league if you're interested. Grant is all yours at 1.01.

Because no one else in their right minds will be taking him in the first two rounds. I could get a very good player at 1.01 and wait until later in the draft to get him, even if its a few rounds earlier than he should go. then I get two studs. Your way, you get Grant, who may be good, and crap later.

BTW, we have an opening in my league if you're interested. Grant is all yours at 1.01.

I never said I thought Grant was top pick material. You proposed a hypothetical in which you said you thought Grant would be worthy of the top pick.

I pick players that I think will perform. I have never been afraid to pick a player because someone else would think I was reaching.

The point is that if you think a player is likely to be the most valuable player to own in your league, then you should make sure you get that player.

when you're playing against a bunch of guys who will be doing anything but playing ball on Sundays, you don't have to. Okay, sure, Jacobs would laugh at that on his way to TD, but that guy and his hits sure are fun to watch. Fortunately, there isn't really anyone in the AFC west he needs to worry about... unless Peyton Hillis has the ball.

fixed

Does he ever wrap up with his arms?

I don't think it matters either; Darren Sproles and Jamal Charles won't be conscious to ask.

FWIW I'm not a fan of the pick by any means, I cringed knowing Unger was still on the board. But he IS very fun to watch.

I don't think it matters either; Darren Sproles and Jamal Charles won't be conscious to ask.

FWIW I'm not a fan of the pick by any means, I cringed knowing Unger was still on the board. But he IS very fun to watch.

Yeah, they'll be lacking of oxygen from juking him out of his jock. He seems pretty fast and that is a good thing. He gat caught up inside on two running plays and had to play catch up. KNocking down a bunch of WRs focused on catching the ball is NOT bringing the wood.

I agree with you. There were better players available.

Lorenzo Neal to Oakland?

SFGate.com

Will Lorenzo Neal and Nnamdi Asomugha be teammates?

Unsubstantiated Internet rumors are floating out there that Pro Bowl fullback Lorenzo Neal will sign with the Raiders, though no sources are cited and, for the life of me, I can't tell where it started.

After checking into it, because this is how the Jeff Garcia-to-Oakland scenario first popped up, a few interesting things came to the surface.

I called a mutual friend in Frsno (finally, my lifelong Fresno connections have paid off at the NFL level), and he spoke with Neal (a Fresno State alum) last week. Neal told him and others he was in discussions with the Raiders.

On top of that, a source within the organization confirmed he has been discussed as a potential addition.

The move makes perfect sense. Oren O'Neal is back, but still recovering from major knee surgery. Luke Lawton is also on the payroll but isn't considered an ideal starter.Tom Cable made a point to say after the draft that fullback needed to be addressed.

Justin Griffith won't come back because the two-year Raiders starter recently signed with the Seahawks. Remember, when Neal was a free agent last year, former coach Lane Kiffin said Neal was not a fit for the zone-blocking run game?

It looks like Tom Cable thinks different.

Neal is a 16-year veteran and four-time Pro Bowler who is just one season removed from his last trip to Honolulu.

He spent last season as a backup with Baltimore, where the running backs raved about his mentoring and leadership. Neal wants a 17th season in the NFL, and Oakland would allow him to return to his homestate where he played with the Chargers from 2003-07.

If he signs indeed, he would be reunited with Raiders running backs coach Kelly Skipper, who was Neal's position coach at Fresno State a very, very long time ago.

If this move is going to be finalized, expect it before the May 8-10 minicamp.