[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Collecting stuff

AtomicCEO

I've been having fun collecting the Mattel die-cast cars from the Pixar Cars movie for my son (sure... for him). Every time I go to Target or Walgreens or Walmart, or ToysRUs, I rummage through the different cars they have looking for the ones I'm missing and when I find one... like my recent acquisition of Snot Rod from a Walgreens in CT... I feel a certain sense of accomplishment, which is made even better when I give it to my son and he starts playing with it.

I'm not going for a complete collection, because there are some characters that are just not necessary. Do you really need the Bob Cutlass (Bob Costas) character, or a Lightning McQueen with bugs in his mouth? But... I'm missing a few main/fun characters that I'm still trying to find.

Today I went out to eBay and placed a bid on a few cars, and then got outbid on both of them. I thought about going back to bid again... but that's really not very satisfying. Instead of the win I feel when I find one, overpaying for the ones I can't find feels like cheating.

Are there any other collectors out there? Does buying a rare baseball card off eBay for $100 feel significantly less satisfying than coming across it in a box at a convention or in a store?

I've been having fun collecting the Mattel die-cast cars from the Pixar Cars movie for my son (sure... for him). Every time I go to Target or Walgreens or Walmart, or ToysRUs, I rummage through the different cars they have looking for the ones I'm missing and when I find one... like my recent acquisition of Snot Rod from a Walgreens in CT... I feel a certain sense of accomplishment, which is made even better when I give it to my son and he starts playing with it.

I'm not going for a complete collection, because there are some characters that are just not necessary. Do you really need the Bob Cutlass (Bob Costas) character, or a Lightning McQueen with bugs in his mouth? But... I'm missing a few main/fun characters that I'm still trying to find.

Today I went out to eBay and placed a bid on a few cars, and then got outbid on both of them. I thought about going back to bid again... but that's really not very satisfying. Instead of the win I feel when I find one, overpaying for the ones I can't find feels like cheating.

Are there any other collectors out there? Does buying a rare baseball card off eBay for $100 feel significantly less satisfying than coming across it in a box at a convention or in a store?

What are you looking for? I have been doing the same with my 3 year old, and with my job I always have time to rummage around various Wal-Marts and such.

I may be able to locate for you and ship it.

What are you looking for? I have been doing the same with my 3 year old, and with my job I always have time to rummage around various Wal-Marts and such.

I may be able to locate for you and ship it.

+1

And we are the geeks that have all 6 versions of McQueen....we have the bi-plane, the blimp, the sets of Luigi and Guido and the excess tires that come with it....total of 81 vehicles thus far.

I enjoy playing with them with him as much as he does....when the movie is on, he lines up all the cars and plays with the ones in that particular scene.

:wacko: Sorry Swammi... no offense. We just haven't gotten that far into collecting.

We're missing Sheriff, Sarge, and Lizzy, Red and Mater from the main town characters. And Daddy wants to round out his collection of hooligans by getting DJ. Frank would be fun too, but I don't know if they make a die-cast one.

We have...

Lightnings:

McQueen (2)

Dinoco McQueen

Radiator Springs McQueen

Town:

Sally

Doc Hudson (the raceday one)

Fillmore (also raceday)

Ramone (gold)

Flo

Luigi

Guido

Tractor

Piston Cup:

The King

Chick Hicks (2)

Revolting Batteries #84

Dinoco helicopter

Mack with the fold-out playset (technically not die-cast, but it's at least to scale)

Street Racers:

Boost

Wingo

Snot Rod

And we have the wind up backwards rolling Mater that is to scale, but is plastic. The boy doesn't seem to mind.

Spoiler, if anyone cares:

For some reason, before we even saw the movie, the first toys we got were Dinoco McQueen in both the die cast and in the larger wind-back talking toy.

So as we're watching the movie, I'm waiting for the big final scene when McQueen signs with Dinoco. Stupid dream sequence toys.

I think my son has lost more CARS merchandise than most people have bought. Not just the cars, but crocs, flip flops, kites, cups, shirts, hats, pajamas, watches, etc.

We've gone through three copies of the DVD due to them being watched so many times.

The Sheriff is pretty easy to get here. I'll keep an eye out this week.

Thanks... but actually I just realized that I won the one I bidded on for 3.99 with shipping. I thought I had been outbid on that one.

I work part-part time (maybe 10hrs a week if I'm lucky lol) for Mattel/Fisher Price. Its a dumb job but I do get first hands into every case of Hot Wheels, Cars etc etc. I stock at WallMart, Target,Sears etc etc etc. Let me know what you need and I'll send em to ya. That might take the fun out of the "hunt", but the offer is there if ya want it.

Edited by tazinib1

It must be thing with 3YO boys as I do the same thing for/with mine! The only one that I need that has a big part in the movie is Sarge. Nowadays, they are coming out with too many "extras" from the movie, which I refuse to buy because at that part they are reaching IMo. (Who really needs a Tankcoat Pitty pit crew member? :wacko: )

My son won't stop talking about getting Chick Hicks' Mack truck now. :wacko:

Luckily, we're using this as an opportunity to teach him about money, and he's earning quarters for his piggy bank by doing stuff around the house. :D

"You're still a few dollars short, kiddo. You'll have to go back to hunting spiders in the crawl space for a while."

My son won't stop talking about getting Chick Hicks' Mack truck now. :wacko:

Luckily, we're using this as an opportunity to teach him about money, and he's earning quarters for his piggy bank by doing stuff around the house. :D

"You're still a few dollars short, kiddo. You'll have to go back to hunting spiders in the crawl space for a while."

We've done something similar for my son.

On the wall is a poster board with the family rules -- don;t hit your brother, do what you are asked, go to bed when told to, don;t hit the dog... basics like that. if he breaks a rule, he gets one warning (other than hitting, no warning for that), then after that each infraction costs him a quarter. At the end of the week, whatever he has earned is put ito his piggy bank. He's been able to buy a couple 10 packs of matchbox cars and has saved up for a big truck he wanted. He's actually pretty good about saving his money, which is another lesson I am trying to teach him, but my wife thought ihe is too young for me to basically set upa 401K type dea lfor him, where if he gave it to me to save for him for a year, I would match it.... she was probably right as it is the immediate rewards that get results.