[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Standardized Testing this week is killing me!

irish

Sorry for the vent but after 4 straight days of proctoring the NJASK-4 (2 days of Language Arts and 2 days of Math) I'm ready to throw a rope over the beam in my garage. All the hard work done all year just to watch the ups and downs the kids go through while taking the tests. Getting problems wrong that they should get correct and then getting ones right that I surely thought they'd get wrong. I've had two kids have absolute melt-downs because of the pressures of taking the test.

Boy is it frustrating!! :wacko: One more day, tomorrow is the last section on Science.

You should have a drink instead :wacko:

:D

I've contemplated it but I've learned from past experience that that doesn't fix anything, rather just complicates things further.

We finished our Missouri Assessment Program tests two weeks ago (our form of your tests). Our district spread the test taking over a two week period and only allowed the students to test for no more than two hours any one day. Not much stress on the kids but it sure plays heck with keeping any kind of routine during 7th grade mating season 3rd quarter classes. Then when the testing period is over nobody wants to get back on the learning train to finish the year. I'm ready for summer school! :wacko:

We finished our Missouri Assessment Program tests two weeks ago (our form of your tests). Our district spread the test taking over a two week period and only allowed the students to test for no more than two hours any one day. Not much stress on the kids but it sure plays heck with keeping any kind of routine during 7th grade mating season 3rd quarter classes. Then when the testing period is over nobody wants to get back on the learning train to finish the year. I'm ready for summer school! :wacko:

This is an excellent point! The kids are drained, the teachers look like hell and everyone is ready for summer. You teach summer school? Is it an option or is school year round for you guys?

This is an excellent point! The kids are drained, the teachers look like hell and everyone is ready for summer. You teach summer school? Is it an option or is school year round for you guys?

Summer school lasts the four full weeks of June for us. It's not mandatory except for those kids who are reading below grade level or failed math and communication arts. It pays $25 an hour and us poor guys need all we can get.

Summer school lasts the four full weeks of June for us. It's not mandatory except for those kids who are reading below grade level or failed math and communication arts. It pays $25 an hour and us poor guys need all we can get.

I see. We have a couple summer school sessions that are about 4 weeks long each. One goes through July and the other through August and both sessions have the same programs available- mostly reading, writing and math help. $25 an hour isn't too shabby either.

you could've just said "teachers".

Yeah, it can be pretty rough especially when you're just starting out. However, I'm getting toward the top of the pay scale and things are much better nowadays.

oh, I just got it... you're not a holier-than-tho puritan, you're an alcoholic.

Way to stay strong bro. Good for you!

He's actually both but, I agree on the second point. If a dude can't handle his drink, it's better that he just stays away from it.

No offense, but there's a huge difference between "not being able to handle his drink" and being an "alcoholic". Huge difference.

Very true, there is. And I'm neither. However, I really don't know if I'd be one or the other because I saw enough terrible things take place in my life with family members and alcohol being involved that I decided that I would never drink. I've been to plenty of AA meetings to support family members and friends to hear them tell me that at first they didn't like the taste of most drinks, then acquired a taste for many of them by drinking socially (peer pressure), they felt as if they were in control of themselves and their drinking and somewhere along the way realized that they were no longer in control and were getting wasted far too often. They would blow large amounts of their pay checks on booze and then once wasted, made many poor decisions that they regretted. Those were some very sad times. I realized listening to all the stories that I never wanted to be in the position that they were in wondering where I lost control of my life. After 35 years sober my Aunt still tells me all the time that even though she hasn't had a drink in a long time, that she still feels the urge and is still without a doubt an alcoholic and always will be. And my response to her is, but you beat it and even though you have the urge, you continue to beat it on a daily basis and that makes you a hero in my mind.

you could've just said "teachers".

Where many of us retired folk are cutting way back on expenses and crying the blues because our portfolios are in the sh***er, My retired school teacher friends are buying time shares, vacation homes, boats, new cars, and going to Europe. They are in their mid 50's, retired, and enjoying their pension. Us with no pension are cutting out coupons from the bi-weekly Costco mailing for groceries.

Where many of us retired folk are cutting way back on expenses and crying the blues because our portfolios are in the sh***er, My retired school teacher friends are buying time shares, vacation homes, boats, new cars, and going to Europe. They are in their mid 50's, retired, and enjoying their pension. Us with no pension are cutting out coupons from the bi-weekly Costco mailing for groceries.

Reminds me of a time about 10 years back when i ran into a HS buddy who had become a stockbroker. Saw him and his trophy gal at an upscale restaurant, sat down and caught up a little with him. When i mentioned being a teacher, said trophy gal replies with a snide comment. Conversation dead silence and I'll never forget his reply to her. " Honey, don't bite the hand that bought your diamonds." She gave a bewildered look and he replied that approximately 70% of his income is from handling frugal teacher's individual accounts.

No offense, but there's a huge difference between "not being able to handle his drink" and being an "alcoholic". Huge difference.

Depends on how you define, "can't handle his drink". If you assume that it means, he's a lightweight, then yes. If, on the other hand, you assume that it means "can't manage to include alcohol in his life without it consuming him and screwing everything up" than it's pretty much the same thing.

Any friend of mine who's an alcoholic was certainly not a lightweight, especially by the time it got out of hand. None the less, they still "couldn't handle their drink" because they were unable to have one without having 10.

My wife was hired to grade the High School tests. I couldn't tell you what they are called but she does the English portion of it. The company she works for does them for numerous states. She tells me their are a lot of retired people grading them, including teachers who want a little extra income.

Any friend of mine who's an alcoholic was certainly not a lightweight, especially by the time it got out of hand. None the less, they still "couldn't handle their drink" because they were unable to have one without having 10.

Of course, that is only one way in which alcoholism might manifest. Best not to try to explain. "Can't handle his drink" really does cover it, or maybe more correctly: Said person can't handle their drink, because their drink handles them.

Of course, that is only one way in which alcoholism might manifest. Best not to try to explain. "Can't handle his drink" really does cover it, or maybe more correctly: Said person can't handle their drink, because their drink handles them.

True, true, and I nearly went back to edit as much. None the less, the gist is exactly as your last comment states.