[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Sac or Hugh 0ne--please explain this to the rest of us

wiegie

Eurovision is not like American Idol, it's more like Miss USA. One watches it for the INCREDIBLE kitschiness of it, with an air of amused, detached, superiority. Thinking that you are the only one who watches it in an ironic manner. While in fact, I have never met anyone who watches it in any other fashion. You watch it for the train wrecks, and cringing awefulness, waiting to hear the famous "Austria, zero points, Autriche zero points, Austria nul puncte" translated in 5 different languages.

IIRC you are certainly familiar with all of this with your Swiss wife.

As to why this guy won, it is simple in my mind:

The formula to win Eurovision is simple: play an uptempo poppy tune, that has a slightly traditional flavour germain to the country of origin while avoiding parody, and, and this part is important, be a nation that doesn't piss off other countries too much.

This song fits the bill.....

Of course winning Eurovision is like winning Miss USA, a one way ticket to obscurity, except for Abba.

Last relevant french winner (who may have competed for Luxembourg?)

france gall

who went on to sing one of the most thinly veiled songs about a BJ ever. Both songs written by Dirty French Old Man Supreme, and National Treasure, Serge Gainsbourg

Edited by Dr. Sacrebleu

france gall

who went on to sing one of the most thinly veiled songs about a BJ ever. Both songs written by Dirty French Old Man Supreme, and National Treasure, Serge Gainsbourg

She's really, really hot if you ignore she must be in her 60's now.

france gall

lol

She said "poopie".

Edited by AtomicCEO

Eurovision is not like American Idol, it's more like Miss USA. One watches it for the INCREDIBLE kitschiness of it, with an air of amused, detached, superiority. Thinking that you are the only one who watches it in an ironic manner. While in fact, I have never met anyone who watches it in any other fashion. You watch it for the train wrecks, and cringing awefulness, waiting to hear the famous "Austria, zero points, Autriche zero points, Austria nul puncte" translated in 5 different languages.

IIRC you are certainly familiar with all of this with your Swiss wife.

As to why this guy won, it is simple in my mind:

The formula to win Eurovision is simple: play an uptempo poppy tune, that has a slightly traditional flavour germain to the country of origin while avoiding parody, and, and this part is important, be a nation that doesn't piss off other countries too much.

This song fits the bill.....

I'm not exactly sure that explains

:wacko:
Of course winning Eurovision is like winning Miss USA, a one way ticket to obscurity, except for Abba.

As my wife always reminds me: Switzerland once won the Eurovision song contest when an obscure singer named Celine Dion sang for them. (of course my favorite Swiss contestant was Francine Jordi)