[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

heart = in pit of stomach

muck

I was just now (at 4am) talking to a very good college friend of mine (who is on business in San Francisco right now) and we were talking about a friend of ours who got married for the first time at 39yo this past weekend.

This lead to a discussion of other mutual friends of ours from college...

One of my fraternity brothers (3yrs older) married a girl that I had gone on a couple of dates with prior to them meeting. She was a real "good girl" (frankly, in many ways, sorta how I'd like my daughter to turn out) and was pretty (but not spectacular). Anyhow, they get married, and I think that its probably a pretty good match.

Well, after they've been married for 3yrs or so, he's working late one night and a serial rapist breaks into their home and rapes her. To put it mildly, they're never the same again after that and eventually, it leads to divorce for them.

I had no idea that they'd been through this (about 7yrs ago now). She was such a sweet girl. I'm just sick about it.

Something I've never really put together until tonight ... but, I met this girl for the first time during the very early part of the fall of our freshman year of college. We never really hit it off personality-wise, but I could just tell that her character was very strong, and in many ways was a silent example to me of the kind of lady I wanted to look for when looking for a wife.

I have heard that one-in-four women will be raped during their lifetime. So, if you have daughters, be vigilant. And, with your wife, encourage self-defense classes. And, probably for your daughters' too.

HOLD'EM CLOSE, GUYS!!

Edited by muck

Wow. Sorry to hear that Muck. Makes you think twice about what more one should do to protect their family. My daughter is 14 now and this kind of thing scares the crap out of me (as do things like date rape, etc.).

so very tragic, a pain she will truly never get over; also watch out for child molesters..my sister was violated for many years (from age 5 to age 9) unbeknownst to our family, and was the main reason for her suicide at age 25. These monsters are killers, even though they don't physically kill--they kill the spirit

Thats a bad deal man. My wife is normally armed unless she is at work. When she goes on a road trip alone such as to Dallas she has a 44 mag under the seat and an sks in the trunk. I guess she figures if it gets real she can get the trunk open and win. Under her die of the bed is my mossberg 835 packed full of #4 3 1/2" mag turkey loads. Shes also about to start taking Krav Maga classes. I know you cant protect them always but if she gets a 5 second head start on them like if they break down the door, well let's just says the crime scene will be spectacular.

Edited by polksalet

That's a very sad situation, Muck. That's an act of violence like none other since the effects of it never go away. I'm glad that my daughter is living in a secured apartment now. Nobody gets in unless they have a key to the common area.

so very tragic, a pain she will truly never get over; also watch out for child molesters..my sister was violated for many years (from age 5 to age 9) unbeknownst to our family, and was the main reason for her suicide at age 25. These monsters are killers, even though they don't physically kill--they kill the spirit

So sorry for your loss as well, Scooby. :wacko: