[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Does my son have pink eye ?

Menudo

So, we took my son to my niece's graduation today. It was outside with tons of kids. When we left this morning, we knew he had a minor cold, as he was coughing a bit and seemed a bit stuffed up. He had a blast playing outside with his cousin and other kids. We noticed during the day that his eyes were getting very watery and that he kept having a yellow discharge coming out the corners. We then noticed a bit of redness in the corners of the eyes, but, nothing to bad. We just got home, and his face is a bit pale, eyes still watering and discharging, but, he seems o.k. as he is talking and laughing. We are planning on taking him to the Dr. tomorrow, but, I was just curious if anyone had any idea if this was a form of pink eye, or is there something else that could be causing the watery eyes and discharge ?

I think the medical term is conjunctivitis (something similar to that at least). You might want to google or webmd that. Typically discharge means it's pink eye but you never know.

Man it sure sounds like it. I got pink eye for the first time in my life a couple months ago. My eyes were just red and itchy and I thought it was allergies but work made me go to the doctor to check. he said that anytime there is that much redness or discharge it usually is pinkeye. the next morning i couldnt open my eyes from the gross crust. a couple days of drops cleared it right up. now i just have to figure out who farted on my pillow.

take him to the doc and i am sure the little guy will be good as new next week.

The doc will probably prescribe eye drops. But I've been told that most forms of pink eye are viral and the drops do nothing. My son has had it a couple times and it always cleared up within a couple days. Either because of the drops or his immune system.

Man it sure sounds like it. I got pink eye for the first time in my life a couple months ago. My eyes were just red and itchy and I thought it was allergies but work made me go to the doctor to check. he said that anytime there is that much redness or discharge it usually is pinkeye. the next morning i couldnt open my eyes from the gross crust. a couple days of drops cleared it right up. now i just have to figure out who farted on my pillow.

take him to the doc and i am sure the little guy will be good as new next week.

The doc will probably prescribe eye drops. But I've been told that most forms of pink eye are viral and the drops do nothing. My son has had it a couple times and it always cleared up within a couple days. Either because of the drops or his immune system.

This is right on the money. The viral form of pink eye can be very aggravating as it can last awhile and vision can be affected in the short term. The bacterial form of pink eye is pretty easily taken care of by the drops.

ETA: Does the light bother him to look at. Bright sunlight or room light would be an issue if he had pink eye.

Edited by irish