[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Another Tech Query

darin3

I should probably search for a topic, but I don't recall seeing anything on this for awhile, so hoping for some new information.

I have a D-Link router and it's been giving me problems since Time Warner came out and switched out my modem (added digital phone).

I am 99% sure it's a problem with my router, as it gave me similar problems before: hanging the connection every so often.

Is it Linksys that produces the super-solid router?

I just switched my D-link for a Linksys. Both are pretty good devices. Linksys is a subsidiary of Cisco but that may not mean much. AFAIK, Linksys makes a solid product.

My Linksys hangs once every few weeks, but I am running it 24/7 with a few computers. No phone. Still has what I would call a 99% uptime rate. Just have to reset it every so often. Pretty solid.

I cannot remember the last time I had to reboot my Belkin router....maybe 1.5 years ago when i set it up initially?

2 pcs, macbook, ps3 and wii all run through it flawlessly.

Haven't had to re-boot my D-Link since I got it ~6 months ago. The set-up interface takes a little getting used (web based) and is not intuitive.

I'd question the modem, unless your router is really old.

Stay away from the elcheapo consumer grade routers. Belkin is the worst, followed by dlink and linksys. They sell linksys at wal-mart, there is a reason for that.

Buffalo is not currently selling routers in the USA, but you can find them on ebay, they are by far the best.

Another one that seems to be good is Trendnet, 3 year warranty. They have a $40 and a $90, more bucks gives you better range. I have the $40 one at home, no problems. I have a buffalo here at work, the best.

Wow, they used to be $100+, here is one for $62 with shipping: http://cgi.ebay.com/BUFFALO-WIRELESS-ROUTE...93%3A1|294%3A50

Stay away from the elcheapo consumer grade routers. Belkin is the worst, followed by dlink and linksys. They sell linksys at wal-mart, there is a reason for that.

Buffalo is not currently selling routers in the USA, but you can find them on ebay, they are by far the best.

Another one that seems to be good is Trendnet, 3 year warranty. They have a $40 and a $90, more bucks gives you better range. I have the $40 one at home, no problems. I have a buffalo here at work, the best.

Wow, they used to be $100+, here is one for $62 with shipping: http://cgi.ebay.com/BUFFALO-WIRELESS-ROUTE...93%3A1|294%3A50

Thanks, read up on the Buffalo and made the purchase.

I cannot remember the last time I had to reboot my Belkin router....maybe 1.5 years ago when i set it up initially?

2 pcs, macbook, ps3 and wii all run through it flawlessly.

+1 and i have 3 PCs and 1 Laptop i run through it.

Yeah, belkins are great.

Got a Belkin router? Feel like getting some free cash? Well, a class action lawsuit settlement recently decreed that if you bought one of 37 Belkin products between October 13, 2002, and February 5, 2007, you may be entitled to a refund. Check the deets over at Consumerist and see if you qualify. –Adam Frucci

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/free-money/clas...fund-271452.php