[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

"Widescreen" PC monitors suck donkey dongs

BeeR

why tf are these so popular? Are there really that many dorks who want to watch movies or TV on their PC? I have this new 20" "widescreen" (which is really like having maybe a 17" monitor, if that, stretched out a little) and regardless of the resolution I have, a lot of sites - like this one - have a f---ed up appearance. Either the font looks too big or "weird" or the smilies are f-ed up - also on some sites (again including this one) every time I load a page it loads offset vs left justified..... etc etc .

I really miss my 19" - ie truly 19" (square) monitor. :wacko:

well you probably need to reset the resolution to something like 1200x800 (it's probably still at a 4:3 resolution which would explain the stretching phenomenon).

but in general, I agree with you that the 4:3 aspect ratio is better for most computing uses. plus, as you mention, in widescreen, a "20 inch" is a lot less screen than a 20" 4x3 screen.

I hear ya. I bought a 22 inch monitor a year or so ago and struggled to find a happy medium between different websites to get things the right size.

Best solution, use Firefox and then use the add-on No-Squint. You can adjust the settings for each site you go to, and it will remember the individual settings for each site when you return to them. Eventually you'll find a happy medium that works for most sites, and its just a couple mouse clicks to enlarge sites that aren't "large" enough when you first go to them.

Good idea, thx. Shoulda known better than to use another MS POS product if I don't have to.

PS I tried every resolution available, including the recommended 1600 x 900. POS.

EDIT: done, installed Firefox. All sites, including most could think of that looked f-ed up in IE, look fine in 'zilla. GFB it. Thx for the suggestion!

Edited by BeeR

I have a 24" widescreen at home and loves it. My 17-18" square work monitor is a POS. When looking at building plans, the amount of real estate that a large monitor gives you is awesome. It sounds like you went (in TV terms) from a 32" 4:3 to a 37: widescreen. The number is bigger, but the 4:3 ratio made your old monitor actually bigger. As far as this site looking weird I haven't ran into that. I use zilla mainly but I really don't have any sites that show up weird looking in IE or Firefox. :wacko:

I have a 24" widescreen at home and loves it.

+ infinity. My Dell 24" has been the best computer enhancement I've bought since the CD-ROM drive came out. The 16:10 ratio needs 1920x1200 settings to be at it's best, plus a decent graphics card to provide it and the color depth.

I love widescreens. But I walk around my office and 1/3 to 1/2 of the people I work with are using 4:3 resolutions on a widescreen monitor and I wonder how they can tolerate it.

Check out this page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_common_resolutions

Make sure your selected resolution matches the Aspect ration (DAR) of your monitor.

To test it out, go here:

http://www.mediacollege.com/video/test-pat...es-1024x768.jpg

Those should be perfect circles and perfect squares. If you've got ovals and rectangles... your resolution is incorrect.

I have a widescreen and it is the bomb. Turn it vertical (90 rotation) and there is no better way to edit papers, and such. I cannot stand working on old 4:3 monitors now.

except on a 4x3 rotated 90 degrees, as that is a lot closer to a typical 8.5x11 viewing area.

I just think the whole widescreen computer monitor thing is a scam to sell smaller monitors at a higher price.

except on a 4x3 rotated 90 degrees, as that is a lot closer to a typical 8.5x11 viewing area.

I just think the whole widescreen computer monitor thing is a scam to sell smaller monitors at a higher price.

How so? My 24" was $250, not much more than a regular monitor and a crapload more real estate.

One thing that hasn't had much play in this thread is the ability to have more windows visible (as opposed to a single window being bigger), very handy for keeping an eye on a live update while also working on something else at the same size as in a 19".

Make sure your selected resolution matches the Aspect ration (DAR) of your monitor.
That's just it though; I am basically "forced" into ONE resolution (1600/900 in my case). Any and everything else looks stretched out or otherwise f-ed up.

And since I don't do anything which requires a widescreen or that it really enhances in any way, it blows. But damn near all monitors are widescreen now it seems...

....and that is mostly why, and people are dumb enough to sucker into it. If I'd had a choice I would have taken a 19" square monitor easily, even if I had to pay a little more. POSs.

Anyway thx for the replies, info etc. To each their own I guess.

Edited by BeeR

How so? My 24" was $250, not much more than a regular monitor and a crapload more real estate.

a 21" 4:3 has more height and almost as much overall area as your 24" widescreen. back when they still made a lot of larger 4:3 monitors, and they were rolling out the widescreens, a "21 inch" 4:3 and a "21 inch" widescreen from the same maker with the same specs would be the same price. and people would be like oooh, I want the widescreen. great, you just got a smaller screen for the same price.

I just find it annyoing because now nobody makes higher end monitors at what I consider a more functional aspect ratio for computing.

That's just it though; I am basically "forced" into ONE resolution (1600/900 in my case). Any and everything else looks stretched out or otherwise f-ed up.

And since I don't do anything which requires a widescreen or that it really enhances in any way, it blows. But damn near all monitors are widescreen now it seems...

I believe this is a limitation of your display adapter, not your monitor.

I just find it annyoing because now nobody makes higher end monitors at what I consider a more functional aspect ratio for computing.

:D Who says you have to have a browser window at 100% of screen size. Simply size it to how you had it on your 4:3 monitor and lo nad behold you have desktop access.

:wacko:

I like the wide screen for using spread sheets that have a bunch of columns, like I use pricing out base bids and alternates. I also like it for my scheduling software. For those two reason I will never have a square monitor again.