[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Democrat Leader actually laughs at reading the upcomming health care bill

Perchoutofwater

"If every member pledged to not vote for it if they hadn't read it in its entirety, I think we would have very few votes," Hoyer told CNSNews at his regular weekly news conference.

Of course it is not as bad as all that because "... staff and review boards, they read [the bills] in their entirety. They go over it with members, and members read substantial portions of the bill themselves," Hoyer allowed before veering off in another direction.

He was referring to a pledge offered to members of Congress by Let Freedom Ring, where I am a senior fellow, asking them not to vote for any healthcare reform legislation they have not read personally. Hoyer apparently finds the idea that members should read the bills they vote on before they vote humorous, "laughing as he responded to the question," according to the news organization.

"I'm laughing because a) I don't know how long this bill is going to be, but it's going to be a very long bill," he is quoted as saying. Hoyer's audacity in suggesting, laughing as he did—LAUGHING—that a bill to increase the government's control over more than 17 percent of U.S. gross domestic product won't be read by the people who have to vote to approve it because it is too long suggests there are problems with the issue and the process. As Kerri Houston Toloczko, policy director for Conservatives for Patients' Rights said, "If it's too long to read, it's probably too expensive to pass."

I have no problem with Congressmen using teams of staff to scourge these large bills and raise concerns over a single person reading 1000s of pages of text. It seems to me to be a better and much more efficient process. Clearly, the review boards can digest the content better as a team, then pass results to the members. Otherwise how many bills could they even manage to pass in a session?

I have no problem with Congressmen using teams of staff to scourge these large bills and raise concerns over a single person reading 1000s of pages of text. It seems to me to be a better and much more efficient process. Clearly, the review boards can digest the content better as a team, then pass results to the members. Otherwise how many bills could they even manage to pass in a session?

Maybe that's the point? :wacko:

Edited by westvirginia

Conservatives for Patients' Rights? :wacko::D

You just couldn't comment on the substance, because you know it's indefensible. So, you do what your play book tells you to, and go off on a tangent belittling one quote in the article, well not actually belittling the quote, but who said it.

Hey, I agree that the system is broke. But you know what? Everyone is running around with their heads cut off acting like this isn't how the system has worked for decades. This is nothing new. Why do you think they have these huge staffs around? To do their work for them.

Whether you're Left or Right, nothing's going to change in Washington by typing on the interwebs. I heard they encourage obesity rather than any real action. Thanks to the TV they don't have to fear a French type revolution. They could be passing bills that are written in German, but what's anyone going to do about it?

Hey, I agree that the system is broke. But you know what? Everyone is running around with their heads cut off acting like this isn't how the system has worked for decades. This is nothing new. Why do you think they have these huge staffs around? To do their work for them.

So we know it's broke, but since it's been broke for a long time, we should just forget about fixing it? We need to get rid of all the earmarks. I read somewhere that the house is going to put funding for parks, sidewalks, and street lights in the upcoming medical legislation. I'd much rather see stuff like this being voted on separately. I'm not saying we don't need new parks, sidewalks, and street lights, I'm just saying lets vote on it individually.

So we know it's broke, but since it's been broke for a long time, we should just forget about fixing it? We need to get rid of all the earmarks. I read somewhere that the house is going to put funding for parks, sidewalks, and street lights in the upcoming medical legislation. I'd much rather see stuff like this being voted on separately. I'm not saying we don't need new parks, sidewalks, and street lights, I'm just saying lets vote on it individually.

I've always been fully on board with this line of thinking. It's asinine to tie together completely different pieces of legislation.

Speaking as someone that worked for a congressman for a summer in Washington DC (aka- HELL in the summertime), this is business as usual.

I worked for a very conservative congressman that was in his office . . . oh . . . once every week for an hour or so. The staff members and interns are the people that draft letters, attend committee hearings, and read bills FOR the COngresspeople. This is done after the rep's "politicla party/ideological slant" is first identified by the Party Chairman of either the dems of the republicans.

One of my glorious jobs was to sign letters to consituents because my forgery looked most like my congressmans. No joke. Even if you write your congressman, I can guaran-damn-tee that he/she will never read it, and a faceless intern/staffer will do the approved cut + paste text on the particular subject and a forged signature will go in your mailbox.

Congress doesnt read bills, they just skim for the highlights of how it will affect THEIR constituents, and therefore, their jobs. That is why earmarks get jammed into bills (remember the Bridge to Nowhere for Sarah Palinaska?) so that they can "look out for their own" in their district.

Just like the Patriot Act that blatently subverted the Constitution, only one senator had the balls to stand up because he actually READ the bill and had issues with it. Senator Feingold of Wisconsin.

Speaking as someone that worked for a congressman for a summer in Washington DC (aka- HELL in the summertime), this is business as usual.

I worked for a very conservative congressman that was in his office . . . oh . . . once every week for an hour or so. The staff members and interns are the people that draft letters, attend committee hearings, and read bills FOR the COngresspeople. This is done after the rep's "politicla party/ideological slant" is first identified by the Party Chairman of either the dems of the republicans.

One of my glorious jobs was to sign letters to consituents because my forgery looked most like my congressmans. No joke. Even if you write your congressman, I can guaran-damn-tee that he/she will never read it, and a faceless intern/staffer will do the approved cut + paste text on the particular subject and a forged signature will go in your mailbox.

Congress doesnt read bills, they just skim for the highlights of how it will affect THEIR constituents, and therefore, their jobs. That is why earmarks get jammed into bills (remember the Bridge to Nowhere for Sarah Palinaska?) so that they can "look out for their own" in their district.

Just like the Patriot Act that blatently subverted the Constitution, only one senator had the balls to stand up because he actually READ the bill and had issues with it. Senator Feingold of Wisconsin.

this is precisely why the fed gov needs to be a weak central gov't, because you get much different treatment on a state level. I have received phone calls from the actual senators I have written to and spent time discussing issues with them. They are at least in touch with their constituents.

Which is why Claire Wolfe is right - don't vote or write - it only encourages them.

What if fedgov had an election - and nobody came? :wacko:

You just couldn't comment on the substance, because you know it's indefensible. So, you do what your play book tells you to, and go off on a tangent belittling one quote in the article, well not actually belittling the quote, but who said it.

I just thought the name was really funny. Kinda like Meatpackers for Animal Rights.

I've always been fully on board with this line of thinking. It's asinine to tie together completely different pieces of legislation.

Completely agree but there is no way on Earth these things could each be treated separately - there just isn't time. At least, that's the logic, along with the underlying assumption that all legislation is good, as our representatives obviously believe.

this is precisely why the fed gov needs to be a weak central gov't, because you get much different treatment on a state level. I have received phone calls from the actual senators I have written to and spent time discussing issues with them. They are at least in touch with their constituents.

I agree, though I can't complain to bad about my US representative. He will actually has town hall type conference calls about once or twice a month to discuss pending legislation.

I agree, though I can't complain to bad about my US representative. He will actually has town hall type conference calls about once or twice a month to discuss pending legislation.

John Linder had a town hall meeting monthly (and still does AFIK) when I was in his district. He's one of the few that I thought was trustworthy. He's also the originator of the fair tax.

John Linder had a town hall meeting monthly (and still does AFIK) when I was in his district. He's one of the few that I thought was trustworthy. He's also the originator of the fair tax.

My rep is Louie Gohmert, he is the guy that said instead of doing a stimulus bill, return the money to the people or don't take it in the first place, and have a tax holiday. He's a pretty cool guy. He used to be a judge. When I was young and dumb, I had to appear before him (DWI). I didn't get the outcome I wanted, but I can honestly say I got the outcome I deserved.

LOLOLOL AT both Perch and west virginia . .

Who do you think actually does all the work and prep for these events?

Thats right kids! THE STAFFERS. The people that actually READ the bills and tell the congressman/woman what is in them. They also carefully craft the responses that the reps give on certain issues.

But I am sure YOUR reps dont do that . . . :D:wacko:

Thats right kids! THE STAFFERS. The people that actually READ the bills and tell the congressman/woman what is in them. They also carefully craft the responses that the reps give on certain issues.

So excuse my extreme naiveté, but just exactly do our elected officials in the US Congress actually do?

So excuse my extreme naiveté, but just exactly do our elected officials in the US Congress actually do?

Smile, vote on issues. Meet with lobbyists. Spend time in their districts/ states.

When it come to the work of developing text for letters and official language for what their stance is on the issues, it is all up to the staffers . . .

Seriously. Try to call Washington (or better VISIT their office in DC) and see how many people work in the offices. They all arent just makin coffee . . .

As a intern in a relatively young, conservative House of Representatives office, I wrote text for letters, forged signatures, attended congressional hearings and took notes, gave tours of the Capitol building to visitors from the district, and answered a lot of phone calls. Pretty glamorous stuff . . .lol.

See perch, I toldja he was an effete, snotty little elitist bastage. Pay up. It was $20, right? :D