[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

All Play Format

geeteebee

No playoffs.

All teams play every other team all 17 weeks ... best W/L for the season is your champion.

...or, at least that's how I've seen them typically run...

I guess you could have two all play seasons ... where, say, the best ____ teams W/L % after _____ weeks move on to the playoffs, and from that point forward only those _____ teams' W/L against each other is considered for a final _____ week all play playoffs.

Having never played in an all-play format, it would seem to me the idea of having playoffs (one on one) would invalidate the nature of an all-play league, no?

And that is why I want to figure out how people do it, cuz I agree with you. I want to have some form of playoffs and what muck suggests above may make sense. The next question is if you have all-play playoffs with 4 or 6 teams, will you ever have a scenario where you have a tied w-l record during a week? eg. If you have 4 teams and the top 2 move on, will you ever have 3 teams at 2-1?

I'm not familiar with that kind of format at all. Why are you considering it? Are there any advantages I'm not seeing, aside from one team not getting screwed in a given week (and getting knocked out of the playoffs) just because a couple of their players have one bad game?

And that is why I want to figure out how people do it, cuz I agree with you. I want to have some form of playoffs and what muck suggests above may make sense. The next question is if you have all-play playoffs with 4 or 6 teams, will you ever have a scenario where you have a tied w-l record during a week? eg. If you have 4 teams and the top 2 move on, will you ever have 3 teams at 2-1?

A tie will happen if the teams in question actually tie. Otherwise, the nature of the format prevents tie records from happening.

This is for a 1 week period. Multiple week periods can have tied records

I'll post more thoughts later, on my blackberry now on break from a training session

Edited by Big Country

Gotcha. Unless you do take the top 4 regular season teams from all-plan and play off 1 vs 4 and 2 vs 3 in the semis as a h2h league would. That would be the simplest way to do it.

I'm not familiar with that kind of format at all. Why are you considering it? Are there any advantages I'm not seeing, aside from one team not getting screwed in a given week (and getting knocked out of the playoffs) just because a couple of their players have one bad game?

How is that 'getting screwed' rather than just the nature of the game? In the nfl if a couple of the skill players on a given playoff team have bad games then it is very likely that team is going to lose. Did that team get screwed too?

It happens in head to head leagues as well...

Conversely, a player can go off and carry a team that week...how'd you feel about that?

It's all relative, whether you play 11 games or 1 game in a given week.

I'm considering it because it seems like every year a team ends up with highest points and misses the playoffs. I am tired of my owners bitching about the fact that they "had the second highest points this week and lost." In an all play, 10 team league, if you had the second highest points you would have an 8-1 record for the week. On the face of it, it sounds like it is a truer test of fantasy ability but I don't know if I'll actually do it becuase my owners fear change.

Format for GTB:

Regular Season:

All play through week 12; six worst teams eliminated, leaving 4. Any W/L % ties are first broken with total points scored.

All play continues and best W/L from that point forward wins the playoffs. Ties are broken by total points scored.

Format for GTB:

Regular Season:

All play through week 12; six worst teams eliminated, leaving 4. Any W/L % ties are first broken with total points scored.

All play continues and best W/L from that point forward wins the playoffs. Ties are broken by total points scored.

that would be a good option. another interesting idea might be some sort of elimination. say, a 3 week playoff with 6 teams....after week 1, the two lowest scores drop out leaving 4, then two more drop out in week two, and the finals is mano y mano. seems like it would fit reasonably well with the concept of an all-play league.

that would be a good option. another interesting idea might be some sort of elimination. say, a 3 week playoff with 6 teams....after week 1, the two lowest scores drop out leaving 4, then two more drop out in week two, and the finals is mano y mano. seems like it would fit reasonably well with the concept of an all-play league.

:wacko:

Personally, this idea is very appealing.

• 3 months later...

I've given it some thought this season. Mostly because of an unlucky schedule which has me leading a league in points but 4-4.

The main problem I'm having with the idea, is that it takes some of the weekly rivalry out of the game. Now instead you versus your buddy this week, it's you versus everyone, everyweek.

Of course an upside to it is no more worrying about if your opponents players blow up during a game. If he scored, and you don't own him, someone else probably does.

On a triacontakaidigon-shaped field?

:wacko:

I know that you are the closest thing the world has to a omniscient, omnipotent, and omnipresent being, but please tell me that you had to look that up and didn't know it, let alone how to spell it.

I know that you are the closest thing the world has to a omniscient, omnipotent, and omnipresent being, but please tell me that you had to look that up and didn't know it, let alone how to spell it.

Notice I had to edit it to fix the spelling.

For those interested in seeing how the "Best Drafter in the Huddle" league is set up --- four separate "all play" divisions where the members of each division are the same twelve guys

Each team in each division plays the other 11 teams in that division every week. Highest scorer for the week is 11-0; worst scorer is 0-11. Notice the high correlation between "points scored" and "fantasy record"?

As a follow up to this, we indeed make the switch in my local to all-play and I've got to say the response has been great. We decided on a playoff format that Az, I think, detailed in this thread. 6 out of 10 teams make it, then 2 are eliminated in each of the first two weeks and the super bowl is head to head. Smack talk is directed at the entire league now and even individual rivalries have developed because you play teams every week. Our records pretty much reflect our points with the exception of the highest scoring team has only the 3rd best record. This is due to the fact that he had one week when his team went off and he scored 50+ poiints more than the next highest team.

Best of all, there is no whining about being the second highest scoring team in a week and losing. Although there is now crying about losing two games in a week by less than a point.

I am really glad we made the switch and believe this to be a truer test of fantasy acumen.

One thing that I have not had time to explore fully, but am interested in working out is kind of combining the elements of all play/total points and h2h. (I think there was a post in anothe thread that covered this a bit that I responded to, but the medication for this sinus infection I have is making my brain work slower than normal)

Basically, you get points for the all play record and for the h2h record, and for the final total points ranking (perhaps with some factor for margin of difference as well to reward teams that are really way above the average, etc.), but find some sort of baseline so that no factor overwhelms the other in terms of importance.

Just an initial idea that needs some work, but curious if anyone else has done something similar or had similar thoughts.

Sounds interesting. Can MFL/other manage something like this?

MFL can give you all the stats (i.e, have a head to head record to determine standings, track total points scored, and also show what the all-play record would be), but I do not think it could automatically rank teams based upon some hybrid formula (I know they have their power rankings which takes some of this into account). But, if given all of the data, it would not be too hard for the commish to take the info and calculate standings and put it into one of the MFL modules to display.