[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Arturo Gatti

whomper

I am so bummed about the loss of Arturo Gatti. Maybe not the best boxer you will ever see but one that has given me the chance to see some of the most thrilling performances I have ever seen. It looks life his wife strangled him in his sleep. RIP Arturo. I know there is a thread in NON football but many dont go there.

RIP Arturo :wacko::D

Police Accuse Gatti's Wife of Killing Him

Posted Jul 12, 2009 12:07 AM By TALES AZZONI(AP)Print Text Size A AASAO PAULO (July 12) -- Brazilian authorities detained the wife of former boxing champion Arturo Gatti and formally accused her Sunday of killing him at a posh seaside tourist resort in Brazil.

Deaths in SportsFrank Franklin II, AP102 photos Arturo Gatti, July 11: The former junior welterweight champion was found dead in a hotel room early Saturday at the age of 37. Gatti, known for his legendary bouts that electrified fans, participated in Ring Magazine's 'Fight of the Year' a total of four times. Arturo Gatti, July 11: The former junior welterweight champion was found dead in a hotel room early Saturday at the age of 37. Gatti, known for his legendary bouts that electrified fans, participated in Ring Magazine's 'Fight of the Year' a total of four times. Click through to see recent deaths in the world of sports.

Police said 23-year-old Amanda Rodrigues was taken into custody after contradictions in her interrogation and presented a formal accusation against her. Prosecutors will later decide whether she will be charged.

Rodrigues, who denies any involvement in her husband's death, was the first to find the slain boxer's body early Saturday inside the vacation apartment they were renting at the Porto de Galinhas resort in northeastern Brazil, police said.

The former junior welterweight champion was apparently strangled with the strap of a purse, which was found at the scene with blood stains, said Milena Saraiva, a spokeswoman for the Pernambuco state civil police. She told The Associated Press that the Canadian also sustained a head injury.

Police said Rodrigues, a Brazilian, could not explain how she spent nearly 10 hours inside the residence without noticing that Gatti was already dead.

Rodrigues told police she had a fight with Gatti after dinner Friday night and he pushed her to the ground during the altercation, causing her to sustain minor injuries to her elbow and chin. She told authorities Gatti was drunk and that a third party likely committed the crime after he went to the apartment by himself.

Witnesses had reported to police that the couple fought and that Gatti was drunk.

Arturo Gatti's fights with Micky Ward were three of the most grueling bouts in boxing history. Gatti, who earned the nickname "The Ultimate Blood and Guts Warrior," always gave everything he had in the ring. Click through to see more photos from Gatti's memorable battles.(Note: Please disable your pop-up blocker)

Gattis Memorable Battles

Arturo Gatti's fights with Micky Ward were three of the most grueling bouts in boxing history. Gatti, who earned the nickname "The Ultimate Blood and Guts Warrior," always gave everything he had in the ring. Click through to see more photos from Gatti's memorable battles.

Authorities were told the couple was extremely jealous of each other and that Gatti constantly complained about her clothing when she traveled to Brazil, Saraiva said.

Acelino "Popo'' Freitas, a four-time world champion Brazilian boxer, told Globo TV's Web site on Saturday that he was a close friend of Gatti and his wife and that he "knew they were having some sort of problem and were about to separate."

They had planned to spend one month in Brazil on vacation.

The couple's 1-year-old son, who was unhurt, was handed to Rodrigues' sister, Saraiva said.

The 37-year-old Gatti, whose epic trilogy with Micky Ward branded him one of the most exciting fighters of his generation, retired in 2007 with a career record of 40-9 and 31 knockouts.

Known for his straightforward punching and granite-like chin, Gatti captured the super featherweight title in 1995, when he defeated Tracy Harris Patterson in Atlantic City, N.J. He won the junior welterweight title in 2004.

does seem strange that a woman could overpower a boxer, even in his sleep. wouldn't it wake him up and he be able to stop her? i guess if he was really tanked, he could have been passed out.

they were already trying to guess on the radio the 3rd athlete to go down at the hands of a wife/girlfriend since things happen in threes ...

does seem strange that a woman could overpower a boxer, even in his sleep. wouldn't it wake him up and he be able to stop her? i guess if he was really tanked, he could have been passed out.

they were already trying to guess on the radio the 3rd athlete to go down at the hands of a wife/girlfriend since things happen in threes ...

My thoughts as well. He must have been stone cold passed out drunk.

I loved the first two Gatti/Ward fights. He was always fun to watch.

Hey whomp did you see Vic Darchinyan get his ass handed to him Saturday night by Joseph Agbeko? I know he moved up in weight class for the second time, but I never thought I'd see that happen to him. He didn't get KO'd, but he did get the crap beat out of him.

I am so bummed about the loss of Arturo Gatti. Maybe not the best boxer you will ever see but one that has given me the chance to see some of the most thrilling performances I have ever seen. It looks life his wife strangled him in his sleep. RIP Arturo. I know there is a thread in NON football but many dont go there.

RIP Arturo :wacko::D

There's also one here http://forums.thehuddle.com/index.php?showtopic=289169 but many don't go there either and even if they did they wouldn't respond.

Hey whomp did you see Vic Darchinyan get his ass handed to him Saturday night by Joseph Agbeko? I know he moved up in weight class for the second time, but I never thought I'd see that happen to him. He didn't get KO'd, but he did get the crap beat out of him.

I didn't think Vic got killed at all. Closely beaten is more like it, and the scorecards reflect my opinion: 114-113, 114-113, 116-111.

My thoughts as well. He must have been stone cold passed out drunk.

or she knocked him out with something heavy then strangled him..... :wacko:

The former junior welterweight champion was apparently strangled with the strap of a purse, which was found at the scene with blood stains, said Milena Saraiva, a spokeswoman for the Pernambuco state civil police. She told The Associated Press that the Canadian also sustained a head injury.
Edited by dmarc117

I loved the first two Gatti/Ward fights. He was always fun to watch.

No, I was working Saturday. Sounds like I missed a good one. I am hoping Mayweather / Pacman happens for next year. That will be the biggest fight in many years