[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Big Brother?

Perchoutofwater

RFID, I've got to say this doesnt' give me the warm and fuzzies. I'm not sure I have a problem with using it for passports, but I definitely have a problem with it for other forms of identification. If it does go into wide spread use, I can see making some serious cash making and selling small boxes of layered copper and lead that act as RF shields.

I tried to fight my credit card company on getting one of those new cards with the "Blink" technology that would allow the card to be read wirelessly. Thanks, but no... I don't find it inconvenient to swipe it, and I prefer to require thieves to actually take my wallet from my pocket to steal from me rather than just getting within a few feet and doing it wirelessly. Eventually, I could not get a card without this feature.

Alternatively, travelers can use "enhanced" driver's licenses embedded with RFID tags now being issued in some border states: Washington, Vermont, Michigan and New York. Texas and Arizona have entered into agreements with the federal government to offer chipped licenses, and the U.S. Department of Homeland Security has recommended expansion to non-border states. Kansas and Florida officials have received DHS briefings on the licenses, agency records show.

be afraid Perch . . . be very afraid . . . .

Complete horsecrap . . . cant believe they thought this would be a good idea . .

Why don't the magnetic strips work just fine? The only thing I can see is to help big brother track people more easily? Am I missing something?

That is the only reason I can see for doing it. I really wouldn't mind if it were limited strictly to passports, as you don't use them that often, and you really only need them to cross borders. I know how to make an RF shield, so the only time it would show up would be the 2 to 3 minutes it takes to show the customs agent.

That is the only reason I can see for doing it. I really wouldn't mind if it were limited strictly to passports, as you don't use them that often, and you really only need them to cross borders. I know how to make an RF shield, so the only time it would show up would be the 2 to 3 minutes it takes to show the customs agent.

Just a wild guess here, but I'm thinking some congressman's state has an RFID factory.