[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

St. Augustine

untateve

Yes, I know I live in Florida but have never really visited St. Augustine. Me and the family will be there the beginning of August for a few days.

What should we see? I'd like to avoid the stupid touristy attractions such as 'the fountain of youth.

Any and all help will be appreciated.

To be honest, the whole town is a touristy attraction. But there are a lot of great little outdoor restaurants and bars that line the streets. If your kids like "haunted house" type of things, last time I was there they had some kind of haunted tours thing that starts at around 7PM or so.

If you buy a day/weekend pass on one of the many trolley/train/tour guides that run all over the town you probably won't ever have to drive anywhere except for maybe going to the beach or the Gator Farm (which I would suggest as it's pretty cool if you're into those type of things) right over the large bridge.

My wife and I went just before we got married and had a great time. That was a few years ago but I doubt much has changed.

If I think of anything else I'll chime in again.

If I have a chance to take my kid, I will since it's the oldest official city in the USA!

Official being the key word.

San Juan was settled 5 years prior, but refuted since it is in a territory.

And Acoma, New Mexico is the oldest continuous inhabitated city in the US. (since at least 1150 AD)

its a great place for architecture (with the whole town being more or less built by Flagler)

there are some cool churches and a fort as well.

if you can get away with the misses, a night time horse and buggy ride is a great way to take in the city.

So when you going exactly Unta? I have the weekend of Aug. 7-9th off. Would love to take the 30 mile ride down to see ya. Just take a walk around town and see all of the little shops in the old city. Your wife will certainly enjoy it. There's probably a few shops that you'll find pretty neat as well. Plenty of watering holes to quench your thirst in that August heat. Someone mentioned the Gator farm and I agree. An absolute must. Marie and I always talked about doing one of those ghost tours. I've seen the lighthouse on that Ghost Hunters show and it was one of the few episodes where you actually see some weird chit. The place is haunted as hell. I'll talk to a co-worker tomorrow who lives near there to try and get some of the good restaurants listed for you. Let me know when you're going. It may give me an excuse to take the two wheels for a ride. Oh, go see the old fort also.

I have never officially played tourist in St. Augustine, but have walked around the old city a couple times. Pretty neat. It's been a while though.

So when you going exactly Unta? I have the weekend of Aug. 7-9th off. Would love to take the 30 mile ride down to see ya. Just take a walk around town and see all of the little shops in the old city. Your wife will certainly enjoy it. There's probably a few shops that you'll find pretty neat as well. Plenty of watering holes to quench your thirst in that August heat. Someone mentioned the Gator farm and I agree. An absolute must. Marie and I always talked about doing one of those ghost tours. I've seen the lighthouse on that Ghost Hunters show and it was one of the few episodes where you actually see some weird chit. The place is haunted as hell. I'll talk to a co-worker tomorrow who lives near there to try and get some of the good restaurants listed for you. Let me know when you're going. It may give me an excuse to take the two wheels for a ride. Oh, go see the old fort also.

I have never officially played tourist in St. Augustine, but have walked around the old city a couple times. Pretty neat. It's been a while though.

We're there Aug 1 to Aug 5.

We're there Aug 1 to Aug 5.

Bummer. But there's still a Sunday in there. Maybe I can meet y'all down there on Sunday the 2nd. You may want to PM me to let me know where you're staying, or we can meet somewhere in the old city. Gonna be crowded on a Sunday.