[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

HD TVs

Brentastic

Ok, so I know there have probably been a few threads on this in the past. I've had my 52inch HD since 2005. The warranty is done and it's taking a poopy before my eyes. Yellow waves, green and red spots. So, needless to say, I need to get a new one before football season gets started - will probably go looking today.

Since I have a 1 year old boy, I don't want to go too crazy - I'm looking for something with good picture but I don't necessarily need the latest and greatest. It looks like Plasmas are cheaper than LCDs - right now, I have an LCD and have always enjoyed it. I'm wondering though, if I should move to Plasma since they're cheaper?

Per Consumerreports.org - here is the list of recommended plasmas and LCDs. I only chose the ones under 2K. I'm hoping there are some experts that can point me in the direction of the best value 50inch + plasma or lcd out there:

Plasamas per CR:

Samsung PN50B650

Samsung PN50B850

Panasonic Viera TC-P50G10

LCDs per CR:

Toshiba REGZA 55ZV650U (only 52+ recommended under 2K)

Highest Rated per Best Buy and under 2K:

Sony - BRAVIA / 52" Class / 1080p / 120Hz / LCD HDTV

Sharp - AQUOS / 52" Class / 1080p / 120Hz / LCD HDTV

Sony - BRAVIA / 52" Class / 1080p / 60Hz / LCD HDTV

Samsung - 52" Class / 1080p / 120Hz / LCD HDTV

Sharp - AQUOS / 52" Class / 1080p / 120Hz / LCD HDTV

So, what advice do you got huddle?

if it is a room that gets a lot of light. LCD is a no-brainer. if it's in a basement where you can control the lighting, plasma has the better picture, imo.

Yes, I think that's why I went with LCD to begin with. It is in a main floor room where light does get in. Other than Sundays, we only watch TV at night though, so lighting for the most part can be controlled. It sounds as though I need to stick with LCD just to be safe.

So, is the room you watch it in well lit? And if so, how does it respond?

It's in my front room, which faces west, so I get a lot of afternoon light. We have drapes, but a fair amount of light comes in, and it does real well. Have had no complaints.

I think sky has a Panasonic plasma as well.

So, is the room you watch it in well lit? And if so, how does it respond?

I think you want to check with these guys (if you haven't already) to get led in the right direction.

http://www.highdefforum.com/

I've been getting my High def info from there for about 4 years now. Good stuff. Buying a good HDTV is a tough decision so take advantage of all the info and make the choice that's good for your eyes and budget. I'd lean to tvs with 120 refresh rates or more since you'll be watching sports a lot. 1080p should be a must if you're watching a 50+ inch screen. Good Luck!

The new Vizios are good.

www.cnet.com also has some good info.

If it were me I might grab this set with a warranty and save big bucks: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/se...HaCjCVqHCjCdwwp

Before buying online ask about the company. I can tell you that TigerDirect is solid and they get good marks from bbb.com

So, I pulled the trigger on the Panasonic - VIERA 50" Plasma. It was the best bang for my buck from what I could tell. I almost dropped 4K on a sweet LED TV by Samsung, but my senses came to me - like I said with a little one tromping around etc... I don't need to get too crazy. It appears to be a really, really good plasma for an excellent price - $1680 out the door, including delivery, full extended in-home service warranty (4 years) and tax. There's also a 90 day window where if the TV sells for less anywhere, they will price match!

So, if anyone sees this TV for less than $1299 (price before tax and warranty), be sure to post here!!

the only gripe I have with Plasma sets are that they guzzle so much energy and with the new tax bill that was approved, that might not be good for your monthly bill...

however...as far as the HDTV goes.....you definitely got a decent bang for your buck bu scooping up a Panasonic....you won't be disappointed...

So, I pulled the trigger on the Panasonic - VIERA 50" Plasma. It was the best bang for my buck from what I could tell. I almost dropped 4K on a sweet LED TV by Samsung, but my senses came to me - like I said with a little one tromping around etc... I don't need to get too crazy. It appears to be a really, really good plasma for an excellent price - $1680 out the door, including delivery, full extended in-home service warranty (4 years) and tax. There's also a 90 day window where if the TV sells for less anywhere, they will price match!

So, if anyone sees this TV for less than $1299 (price before tax and warranty), be sure to post here!!

I just bought this TV in April and absolutely love it. Great picture!! I got basically the same deal you did with no-interest financing over 24 months.

I just bought this TV in April and absolutely love it. Great picture!! I got basically the same deal you did with no-interest financing over 24 months.

Good to hear it - between you and CD being happy, plus everything I've read online (including CR), I think it's a great value. Apparently Panasonic is the best brand for Plasmas.

Good to hear it - between you and CD being happy, plus everything I've read online (including CR), I think it's a great value. Apparently Panasonic is the best brand for Plasmas.

I think Panasonic is number one for plasmas. I found the LCD (and especially the LED) TV's to be WAY more expensive and (in my mind at least) couldn't justify the added cost.

great panel for sure- Panny"s are terrific!

as an fyi - the best plasmas are Pioneer tho with Panny right behind

Sorry, I wasn't on the board much yesterday but I've been researching this exact same set for awhile. Which Panny Viera did you get? There is the X1, S1, and G10 version. I'm guessing you got a G10? Let me know and I'll drop back if I see a set cheaper.

the only gripe I have with Plasma sets are that they guzzle so much energy and with the new tax bill that was approved, that might not be good for your monthly bill...

however...as far as the HDTV goes.....you definitely got a decent bang for your buck bu scooping up a Panasonic....you won't be disappointed...

It depends on what you pay for electricity obviously, but usually the Plasmas don't draw near what they are stated at for max output. From what I've read on AVS forum it is very reasonable to have a 520 max Watt Plasma to actually draw in the high 200s. So, I say replace a couple A lamps with CFLs and call it good. For the price difference between a 50" Plasma and the good LCDs at teh same price... The energy bill (at least in my area) doesn't become much of a concern. But my city has half the cost of the national average per kwh. :wacko:

Sorry, I wasn't on the board much yesterday but I've been researching this exact same set for awhile. Which Panny Viera did you get? There is the X1, S1, and G10 version. I'm guessing you got a G10? Let me know and I'll drop back if I see a set cheaper.

I got the G10 50". Cool, let me know what you end up getting too!

I got the G10 50". Cool, let me know what you end up getting too!

I'm thinking about cheaping out and getting the X1. My seating distance is 12-13 feet so I really don't think my eyes can tell the difference of 720p vs. 1080p. I'll let you know what I run into. Will your place match any online price or does it have to be a B&M store?

It depends on what you pay for electricity obviously, but usually the Plasmas don't draw near what they are stated at for max output. From what I've read on AVS forum it is very reasonable to have a 520 max Watt Plasma to actually draw in the high 200s. So, I say replace a couple A lamps with CFLs and call it good. For the price difference between a 50" Plasma and the good LCDs at teh same price... The energy bill (at least in my area) doesn't become much of a concern. But my city has half the cost of the national average per kwh. :wacko:

well, they are phasing Plasma TV's out of production due to how much energy they require....

what you have stated from AVS might be true, but I'm just stating something that has been addressed...

well, they are phasing Plasma TV's out of production due to how much energy they require....

I wondered what was going on with all the LCD and LED sets available. In these economic times I'm amazed anyone can afford them, especially the largest screens. I can only believe the prices will eventually come down or people will have to opt for the smaller screen sizes.

I'm thinking about cheaping out and getting the X1. My seating distance is 12-13 feet so I really don't think my eyes can tell the difference of 720p vs. 1080p. I'll let you know what I run into. Will your place match any online price or does it have to be a B&M store?

I think it has to be an authorized dealer - not really sure on the specifics.

well, they are phasing Plasma TV's out of production due to how much energy they require...

Um, no they are not. :wacko:

They have to meet new energy guidelines (like the TC-P50G10 does) but they are not phasing out anything. A few companies jumped out of the market over the last year but once you get to 50+ inches, plasmas are the best bang for your buck. We are talking about less than 500w. Do you have recessed cans in your house with incandescent bulbs? Typical can light runs a 65W BR40 lamp. That means if you took 10 - 15 of those down and installed CFLs you could run your plasma at the highest output constantly and have the same energy bill. There is also something to the difference in energy draw between LCDs and Plasmas. An LCD takes constant wattage no matter what it displays. A black screen takes the same energy as a white screen. Now, a plasma works differently where it takes more wattage to display a white screen, but it can do darker scenes for very low wattage. I've been tempted to buy a kill-a-watt meter just for work/home/hobby use but if I pick one up after getting my new plasma I'll let you know what it runs. My guess is that it is less than 300W that it runs most of the time and that would be very easy to offset with CFL bulbs in the house. Again though, we only pay around 5 cents a kWH locally. Many places it is much higher (national average is over 10 cents) so I suppose this could be a big deal to some (Cali). I think Plasmas just have a bad wrap from their earlier technology (burn in, IR). The deals you can get on them now are pretty sweet as I'll probably be paying around 800 for my 50 inch 720p set.