[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Series on DVD

Thews40

Not a big fan of TV, but I am of the HBO/Showtime series on DVD.

Best:

Dexter - Twisted as hell, but addictive as hell too. Just started season II.

Six feet under - Deals with death very well. Gets a little tired around season 4, but worth the watch through the end in season 5.

True Blood - Kept me going, especially with main characters being offed often. I did a bad-bad thing...

Ok:

Weeds - It's ok I guess.

Arrested Development - It's funny and harmless.

Entourage - Watched season one and part of season II. In the clips where he's supposed to act on film, it looks like a clip on why the move should suck huge. I like Johnny Drama though.

Not so much:

Dead like me. Loved season one and two, but it ends. The DVD movie sucks so bad it lowers it to "Not so much."

Pushing daises - Not a fan.

Carnival - It ended too soon, too twisted but well made.

Rants/raves?

a few more:

Good Stuff:

Rescue Me - Tommy Gavin rules

Deadwood - Al Swearengin would make Tony Soprano piss his pants

The Wire - best series ever?

Californication - flat out funny

Eastbound & Down - classic stuff from Kenny Powers

Not So Good

The Shield - Mike Chiklis, no thanks

Mad Men - totally in the minority but I thought it was s-l-o-w as chit and never grabbed me

My wife and I are definitely fans of Rescue Me, Rome, Dexter, Trueblood, and Six Feet Under. Madmen is good for the most part, but definitely slow at times.

The Tudors is a Showtime series that revolves around the life of King Henry... similar to Rome in the sense that it's based loosely on historical events, and filled with a cast of mostly blood-thirsty, sex-crazed characters. Another lesser known Showtime series is The Brotherhood... sort of like a lower-class Irish version of The Sopranos. Pretty good show.

One other that I will mention is Breaking Bad on AMC... killer show about a high school chemistry teacher who becomes a meth dealer to pay for his cancer treatment. Extremely funny and action-packed at the same time.

One other that I will mention is Breaking Bad on AMC... killer show about a high school chemistry teacher who becomes a meth dealer to pay for his cancer treatment. Extremely funny and action-packed at the same time.

One of my favorites as well. I'm baffled why it doesn't get enough press.

cuz it's about meth?

I haven't watched and won't. I don't care the reasons the fictional character has for manufacturing and selling meth. Sorry, not a funny or interesting topic.

It's meth.

Ok I can understand your disdain for meth but did you like the Saprano's? And like it or not, meth touches every part of our society today. Its a part of the national fabric that isn't going away anytime soon. And if you watched the show, it touches on some of the addicts and how they got to be why they are....very telling episodes at times.

off the top of my head (trying to think of my DVD shelf) I am sure I am missing a bundle.

Mack Daddy...

Arrested Development - Brilliant in its disfuntion.

The Office UK - ground breaking.

The Office US - Great show. This and the UK version do an amazing job in saying a bundle with just a look.

BSG - Good action. Good drama.

Deadwood - Agree with wildcat 100%. Al is the bomb. Actually - I love all the characters in this one.

X-Files - Not as good 20 years later, but fun. sometimes tense, dry humor, weird stories.

Dexter - Good stuff. Not as twisted as people say, but good. More a vigilante than serial killer, despite the ceremony.

30 Rock. Funny oddball dialog. Not a single character I do not like.

Horatio Hornblower. A&E Miniseries. There are 8-10 of them at 2 hours each.

Always Sunny - Delightfully twisted humor.

Life - Damien Lewis. Cop show. This guy is amazing

Jericho. Amazing show but it it ended too soon. I am happy though that they sort of wrapped things up.

Friday Night Lights - its Dawson's Creek on the Grid Iron, but its football. Big Tim Riggins fan here.

Scrubs - some of the best dialog on TV.

Band of Brothers - Just really well done.

Good - but not ground breaking...

Rome - Informative, but too short. they did a great job with costuming and the sets.

Sapranos - not much to say here except and was not as high on it as others. Good, but it got old.

Sports Night - Show about a show like sports center. It launched a lot of peoples careers. Great meter on the dialog.

DS9 - Nowhere as close to good as it was when it was on - man how storytelling has changed - I am a sucker for Cardasians though.

Firefly - Okay.

The Tutors. There is nobody likable on this show.

Law and Order: CI. Vincent d'onofrio makes this show as good as it is.

News Radio. Great cast.

Lost - okay.

John Adams - HBO mini-series. Good info. Well acted.

Ivanhoe - A&E Miniseries.

The Forsythe Saga - this would have fallen into 'meh' if not for Damien Lewis.

Meh to bad...

Babylon 5 - man, after years of folk telling me that this show was better than DS9, I bought the series. I haven't gotten past the first 2 episodes

Dead Like Me - The winey dead girl show.

Heroes - for some reason I keep watching. Holes you can drive a truck through.

Eastbound & Down - I watched 2 episodes and found it crude, but not funny crude (ala Always Sunny)

The Weeds - I could have kept on watching it, but it didn't really give me a reason to so I moved on.

Edited by Duchess Jack

off the top of my head (trying to think of my DVD shelf) I am sure I am missing a bundle.

Mack Daddy...

Arrested Development - Brilliant in its disfuntion.

The Office UK - ground breaking.

The Office US - Great show. This and the UK version do an amazing job in saying a bundle with just a look.

BSG - Good action. Good drama.

Deadwood - Agree with wildcat 100%. Al is the bomb. Actually - I love all the characters in this one.

X-Files - Not as good 20 years later, but fun. sometimes tense, dry humor, weird stories.

Dexter - Good stuff. Not as twisted as people say, but good. More a vigilante than serial killer, despite the ceremony.

30 Rock. Funny oddball dialog. Not a single character I do not like.

Horatio Hornblower. A&E Miniseries. There are 8-10 of them at 2 hours each.

Always Sunny - Delightfully twisted humor.

Life - Damien Lewis. Cop show. This guy is amazing

Jericho. Amazing show but it it ended too soon. I am happy though that they sort of wrapped things up.

Friday Night Lights - its Dawson's Creek on the Grid Iron, but its football. Big Tim Riggins fan here.

Scrubs - some of the best dialog on TV.

Band of Brothers - Just really well done.

Good - but not ground breaking...

Rome - Informative, but too short. they did a great job with costuming and the sets.

Sapranos - not much to say here except and was not as high on it as others. Good, but it got old.

Sports Night - Show about a show like sports center. It launched a lot of peoples careers. Great meter on the dialog.

DS9 - Nowhere as close to good as it was when it was on - man how storytelling has changed - I am a sucker for Cardasians though.

Firefly - Okay.

The Tutors. There is nobody likable on this show.

Law and Order: CI. Vincent d'onofrio makes this show as good as it is.

News Radio. Great cast.

Lost - okay.

John Adams - HBO mini-series. Good info. Well acted.

Ivanhoe - A&E Miniseries.

The Forsythe Saga - this would have fallen into 'meh' if not for Damien Lewis.

Meh to bad...

Babylon 5 - man, after years of folk telling me that this show was better than DS9, I bought the series. I haven't gotten past the first 2 episodes

Dead Like Me - The winey dead girl show.

Heroes - for some reason I keep watching. Holes you can drive a truck through.

Eastbound & Down - I watched 2 episodes and found it crude, but not funny crude (ala Always Sunny)

The Weeds - I could have kept on watching it, but it didn't really give me a reason to so I moved on.

Babylon 5 is a unique creation. The first season sets the stage for the following four. It is a continuous arc. I promise if you will bone up and watch all of season 1 you will understand.

What polksalet said, you got to give it more than 2 episodes... As he said, JMS had a 5-year plan so he has to set everything up...

BSG might have passed it up, but this was a damn great series...

B5 was much the inverse of BSG. Where BSG started strong and ended in an Ebola like blood cough, B5 starts out weak and ends like a Santonio Holmes Super Bowl catch.

B5 was much the inverse of BSG. Where BSG started strong and ended in an Ebola like blood cough, B5 starts out weak and ends like a Santonio Holmes Super Bowl catch.

Being an old DS9 fan, I've heard if was great from a lot of people. Amazon had all the seasons for like $65 a couple months back so I bought it to see what all the hubub was about. The Wench and I were not impressed at all, but she also reminded me that DS9 built in momentum over the 7 seasons it was on. That along with what everybody is saying here might see me give it another try.

Being an old DS9 fan, I've heard if was great from a lot of people. Amazon had all the seasons for like $65 a couple months back so I bought it to see what all the hubub was about. The Wench and I were not impressed at all, but she also reminded me that DS9 built in momentum over the 7 seasons it was on. That along with what everybody is saying here might see me give it another try.

If you have paid much attention to my postings over the past 9-10 years you are no doubt aware of my love for all things Star Trek. DS9 is far and away my favorite Trak show but there is no comparison between DS9 and B5. Trek shows are basically collections of short stories. B5 is the greatest SCIFI novel of all-time and we get to watch it on TV. You have essentially read the first two chapters of a 150ish chapter novel.

i was just explaining why I don't think it's doing well. I'm sure many people like me never even gave it a chance.

umm, dexter is about murder, the wire is about dealing crack, the sopranos is about, well, all of the above basically....and those are thought to be three great, popular shows. so I'm not sure that objectionable subject matter really explains much.

for me...(and I'll go ahead and expand to major network TV as well)

A-list - excellent television

the sopranos

the wire

dexter

mad men

curb your enthusiasm

californication

the office (BBC)

band of brothers

john adams

B-list - very solid and entertaining

house, MD

big love

the office (US)

6 feet under

rome

deadwood

true blood

flight of the conchords

C-list - meh

weeds (started pretty good, but seems to get dumber every season)

lost (ditto weeds)

tudors

robin hood (BBC)

If you have paid much attention to my postings over the past 9-10 years you are no doubt aware of my love for all things Star Trek. DS9 is far and away my favorite Trak show but there is no comparison between DS9 and B5. Trek shows are basically collections of short stories.

You might be able to say that about Star Trek TOS and Next Gen - but DS9 had a story arch that spanned seven seasons.

You don't include The Wire, The Sopranos, or Deadwood, so what's the point of compiling a list?

I haven't seen any of them (maybe an episode or two of the Sopranos). I see Deadwood go on sale at Blockbuster every few months, so i'll take your guys word on it and just buy it.

To Az - I bought Curb your enthusiasm, but didn’t get through the first episode. If it's on the A list I'll have to give it a second shot :wacko: . Same for John in Cincinnati, though I made it trough the first 1.5 episodes before punting.

You might be able to say that about Star Trek TOS and Next Gen - but DS9 had a story arch that spanned seven seasons.

The story arc was stretched into seven seasons. Many things in the first episode of B5 are of great importance in the last episode. You will see young padwan.

• 11 months later...

Another British comedy from the guys that brought us the Office:

The IT Crowd

Watched "series" (not seasons) 1 thru 3. Pretty good stuff. Short clip

While you can watch the episodes online, the DVD menu system just isn't the usual looped song, it's a video game like Castlevania that you can watch for about 10 or 15 minutes on it's own. I think one of the disks menu thing had 9 levels to watch. They put some thought into it.

It's a comedy about day to day work in an IT office with 2 IT guys and their IT illiterate manager.