[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

NL All-Stars

Chavez

Unveiled.

Starters

Position Player Team Votes

C Mike Piazza Mets 2,296,667

1B Albert Pujols Cardinals 2,649,013

2B Jeff Kent Astros 2,898,381

SS Edgar Renteria Cardinals 2,028,840

3B Scott Rolen Cardinals 3,187,710

OF Barry Bonds Giants 2,952,237

OF Ken Griffey Jr. Reds 2,837,237

OF Sammy Sosa Cubs 2,197,255

Starting pitchers

Roger Clemens, Astros*

Jason Schmidt, Giants*

Randy Johnson, Diamondbacks*

Carlos Zambrano, Cubs*

Tom Glavine, Mets*

Livan Hernandez, Expos

Carl Pavano, Marlins

Ben Sheets, Brewers

Relief pitchers

Eric Gagne, Dodgers*

Danny Graves, Reds*

Armando Benitez, Marlins*

Dan Kolb, Brewers

Reserves

1B Sean Casey, Reds*

1B Jim Thome, Phillies

1B Todd Helton, Rockies

2B Mark Loretta, Padres*

3B Mike Lowell, Marlins*

SS Jack Wilson, Pirates*

SS Barry Larkin, Reds

C Johnny Estrada, Braves*

OF Lance Berkman, Astros*

OF Moises Alou, Cubs*

OF Miguel Cabrera, Marlins*

Wasn't sure if both Sheets and Kolb would make it, but they did; both are more than worthy as well. Would've liked to have seen Overbay, but looking at 1B in the NL, his omission is understandable.

Overbay's Stats:

Key Stats

AB HR AVG RBI R SB

296 9 .341 61 41 1

Pujols' stats:

Key Stats

AB HR AVG RBI R SB

286 21 .304 57 69 4

Tough call...! Overbay is an up and coming stud though..as long as he's in Milwaukee, he's not gonna be the top guy on many ballots.

Cue sports wags grinding their axe against Bud with "The Brewers don't deserve 3 representatives", even though I thought the All-Star berth was an INDIVIDUAL honor. :D

LegFuJohnson:

Sheets and Kolb belong there.  Not sure if Overbay will go or not.  With Casey out, that's the opening they'll need to get Beltran in the game.

So what are the rules about someone being traded before the All Star Game and being potentially in his new league's All Star lineup?

I would think that would not be allowed since he wasn't on any ballots, etc.

What MLB said was that since Beltran was voted to the AL roster, he would have to play for the AL - and let's face it, no way in HELL does that happen.

I say let him play for the NL, it's not like he's a borderline All-Star or anything. The guy is MORE than deserving of a spot.

Dbaxx:

Overbay's Stats:

Key Stats

AB HR AVG RBI R SB

296 9 .341 61 41 1

Pujols' stats:

Key Stats

AB HR AVG RBI R SB

286 21 .304 57 69 4

Tough call...!  Overbay is an up and coming stud though..as long as he's in Milwaukee, he's not gonna be the top guy on many ballots.

And what does Thome's stat line look like shrug

keggerz:

Dbaxx:

Overbay's Stats:

Key Stats

AB HR AVG RBI R SB

296 9 .341 61 41 1

Pujols' stats:

Key Stats

AB HR AVG RBI R SB

286 21 .304 57 69 4

Tough call...!  Overbay is an up and coming stud though..as long as he's in Milwaukee, he's not gonna be the top guy on many ballots.

And what does Thome's stat line look like shrug Jim Thome ....everything you want to know about him and then some. Philly is a pretty big baseball city compared to Milwaukee. How do you think Bobby Abreu made the "internet" reserve team?

I'm not saying Overbay necessarily "deserves" to be in ahead of any of the other guys, just that his stats should at least merit a "Hmmmm...." when voting.

Chavez:

What MLB said was that since Beltran was voted to the AL roster, he would have to play for the AL - and let's face it, no way in HELL does that happen.

I say let him play for the NL, it's not like he's a borderline All-Star or anything. The guy is MORE than deserving of a spot.

Griffey was put on DL, and Beltran was added to the NL roster in his place.

Ursa Majoris:

Am I the only one that thinks the All-Star game is a meaningless load of crap?  shrug 

Depends upon your comparison. Compared to a regular season baseball game? It means less.

Compared to any other sports' All-Star game? It's a lot better than that. No one even tries to play defense (other than the goalies), in the NBA or NHL Games, and the Pro Bowl, being after the season, it's fun to count the number of players who pull out of that game, because the season is over.

You've got the best baseball players, playing baseball. And, if you happen to be one of those that still believes in that wonderous home-field advantage, then the game certainly matters.

As far as all star games go baseball's is clearly the best.

As to the winning league getting home field advantage in the world series, I don't think it really makes a difference. The players don't go other there and play any different because the world series home field advantage is on the line ... primarily because it is a total unknown as to who will be in the series.

The game is for show only.

LegFuJohnson:

Ursa Majoris:

Am I the only one that thinks the All-Star game is a meaningless load of crap?      shrug

Depends upon your comparison. Compared to a regular season baseball game? It means less.

Compared to any other sports' All-Star game? It's a lot better than that. No one even tries to play defense (other than the goalies), in the NBA or NHL Games, and the Pro Bowl, being after the season, it's fun to count the number of players who pull out of that game, because the season is over.

You've got the best baseball players, playing baseball. And, if you happen to be one of those that still believes in that wonderous home-field advantage, then the game certainly matters.

Points taken. It's the voting thing that's a joke to me - you can vote 25? 40? times. It's a fiasco. Someone earlier said a guy from Milwaukee was lucky to get in because he's in a small market. Well, yeah, but he's a darn good player. Why should the market size matter?

Personally, I'd like to see the voting restricted to players and coaches only instead of influenced by a bunch of spotty fanatics sitting at a computer with nothing better to do.

Spotty fanatics sitting in front of a computer with nothing better to do?

You mean like all of us?

NBA & NHL uses fan voting for the starters as well, its nothing only attributable to baseball. The fans usually do a good job of picking players that belong in the game (even if perhaps they shouldn't start) A couple sneak through... if anything, the internet voting should level the playing field. In the old days, voting was done at the various stadiums. So if the Yankees draw 40,000 each game, and Milwaukee only gets 20,000, then Milwaukee fans won't even have access to the ballots.

The "guy" in Milwaukee (didn't see it, but must have been Kolb or Sheets), perhaps he didn't realize that he got into the game, because of the players & coaches voting (which they do).

Ursa Majoris

Someone earlier said a guy from Milwaukee was lucky to get in because he's in a small market.  Well, yeah, but he's a darn good player.  Why should the market size matter?

FYI, last year, Geoff Jenkins got voted in as the 25th guy.

This year, Sheets and Kolb got in on the basis of player/manager votes. Quite deservedly so, as well; look at their friggin' NUMBERS!

Chavez:

Ursa Majoris

Someone earlier said a guy from Milwaukee was lucky to get in because he's in a small market.  Well, yeah, but he's a darn good player.  Why should the market size matter?

FYI, last year, Geoff Jenkins got voted in as the 25th guy.

This year, Sheets and Kolb got in on the basis of player/manager votes. Quite deservedly so, as well; look at their friggin' NUMBERS!

That's my point. I just think the best recognition comes from the coaches and players, rather than a small cross-section of fans voting for their own guy multiple times. Then Jenkins or whoever wouldn't have to bother about being in a small market, he'd be recognized by his peers as the player he is known (by them) to be.