[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Church rant

matt770

most kids are barely functional these days you just forgot about

THE ENTIRE REST OF THE WORLD THAT IS STRUGGLING AND IN POVERTY FAMINE WAR...BUT YEAH YOUR RIGHT...MY BAD

I SUPPOSE THE EMERGANCE OF SCIENCE AND THE RAPID DECLINE OF FAITH IN THE U.S., THE FACT THAT WE ARE IN A CONTINUING "WAR ON TERROR" THAT IS BY LAW: AN ACTUAL WAR JUST LIKE BUT AGAIN"BY LAW TOTALLY INDEPENDENT AND SEPERATE: FROM THE TWO OTHER WARS WE ARE CURRENTLY IN--THE CHRISTIAN AND CATHOLIC CHURCHES BEING ACCUSED OF CHILD MOLESTATION EVERY DAY, AND A GIANT DEPRESSION ALL HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH IT.

YEAH THE PARENTS MUST BE EVIL JUST LIKE THE KID. tHERES NO THERE EXPLANATION.

I'd be shocked if you're over 18.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

most kids are barely functional these days you just forgot about

THE ENTIRE REST OF THE WORLD THAT IS STRUGGLING AND IN POVERTY FAMINE WAR...BUT YEAH YOUR RIGHT...MY BAD

I SUPPOSE THE EMERGANCE OF SCIENCE AND THE RAPID DECLINE OF FAITH IN THE U.S., THE FACT THAT WE ARE IN A CONTINUING "WAR ON TERROR" THAT IS BY LAW: AN ACTUAL WAR JUST LIKE BUT AGAIN"BY LAW TOTALLY INDEPENDENT AND SEPERATE: FROM THE TWO OTHER WARS WE ARE CURRENTLY IN--THE CHRISTIAN AND CATHOLIC CHURCHES BEING ACCUSED OF CHILD MOLESTATION EVERY DAY, AND A GIANT DEPRESSION ALL HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH IT.

YEAH THE PARENTS MUST BE EVIL JUST LIKE THE KID. tHERES NO THERE EXPLANATION.

Sorry, I gave up Josh Gordon so there's not much chance of me ever understanding this post.

Obviously the issues with this kid started long before he came to church with an iPod. Probably years of neglect or who knows what brand of bad parenting culminated in an angry and disturbed kid.

LOL. Kids can be, and are angry and disturbed, with great parents. Happens every day.

Funny how people without kids think it's so easy. :wacko:

[/b]

LOL. Kids can be, and are angry and disturbed, with great parents. Happens every day.

True, but good parents establish discipline and consequences for actions from an early age, while at the same time keeping an open dialog of mutual trust and respect. If that were the case here, I believe one of two conversations would have happened -- either the root cause of the issue would have been identified and resolved (maybe the kid is pissed about chores, not enough allowance, getting grounded, etc), or if he just genuinely has decided he's an athiest, the dad could have talked it through, and said, okay fine, either you're staying home and doing chores, or we're taking you to a soup kitchen so you can learn about helping people in lieu of having to go to church, or you're coming to church with the family and acting respectfully, or whatever other solution they could find. Let the kid know his opinions are valued and respected, while at the same time setting limits and boundaries for his behavior.

No one can convince me that the kid getting dragged to church wearing death metal shirts and making everyone uncomfortable is the end product of the above type of approach or any other competent parenting method.

I'd be shocked if you're over 12.

Fixed

Could someone go unplug a computer in Minnesota for me? Savage?

+1,000,000

True, but good parents establish discipline and consequences for actions from an early age, while at the same time keeping an open dialog of mutual trust and respect. If that were the case here, I believe one of two conversations would have happened -- either the root cause of the issue would have been identified and resolved (maybe the kid is pissed about chores, not enough allowance, getting grounded, etc), or if he just genuinely has decided he's an athiest, the dad could have talked it through, and said, okay fine, either you're staying home and doing chores, or we're taking you to a soup kitchen so you can learn about helping people in lieu of having to go to church, or you're coming to church with the family and acting respectfully, or whatever other solution they could find. Let the kid know his opinions are valued and respected, while at the same time setting limits and boundaries for his behavior.

No one can convince me that the kid getting dragged to church wearing death metal shirts and making everyone uncomfortable is the end product of the above type of approach or any other competent parenting method.

Matt, no parents are perfect but I've known some pretty good ones whose kids still had plenty of "little sh!t" moments. And to be fair, you really have no experience with the subject. I totally get how frustrating that probably was, and I'm not sure I could have kept from saying something to the brat. That being said, you could be right and the parents might be the really permissive types, thinking that they're doing right by the kid when in reality, making the kid into a little brat by not putting up those decency boundaries. The point is that you've only seen what - two hours or so of that family's life? And you're making some pretty stiff judgments that might or might not be accurate. FWIW :wacko:

Fixed

+1,000,000

Matt, no parents are perfect but I've known some pretty good ones whose kids still had plenty of "little sh!t" moments. And to be fair, you really have no experience with the subject. I totally get how frustrating that probably was, and I'm not sure I could have kept from saying something to the brat. That being said, you could be right and the parents might be the really permissive types, thinking that they're doing right by the kid when in reality, making the kid into a little brat by not putting up those decency boundaries. The point is that you've only seen what - two hours or so of that family's life? And you're making some pretty stiff judgments that might or might not be accurate. FWIW :wacko:

Fair enough. Being judgmental is pretty well hard-coded into my DNA and I try like hell to ease up. Certain people sure test it.

Keep letting this guy post, it's cracking me up.

Anyway, I've been to mass and it's no wonder the kid acts up..... :wacko: Just kidding.

I actually attend church every Sunday and I have a few thoughts about this kid. I think the parents are trying to do anything to just get him to church and think that just getting him there is a win and step in the right direction. Is it their fault that the kid is bringing in his ipod, absolutely! If they are trying to get him to pay attention or get anything out of mass, then an ipod should stay home.

I do have another thought on this that I haven't read. What is the church doing about it? I can tell you that from personal experience, my church just hired a new youth pastor who is young and has a ton of energy. The entire youth program has exploded and now all the kids want to go and hang out with other kids. Unfortunately at a young age, kids don't get church and sometimes even respect at all. I know when I was a kid I didn't get church but did understand respect. Other kids and the church should be reaching out to this kid so he has some friends and might actually enjoy what the church has to offer.

It sounds like the kid is going through an identity crisis and is doing anything he can to enforce his will over his parents. The parents are obviously struggling with this but are doing what they think is right.

JMO

Not gonna get into details on this board..... suffice to say, I've seen good parenting result in poopyty kids. More than once.

I will agree, that they should not have taken the child to church in that outfit along with the ipod.