[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

How would you describe what region of the country Ohio is in?

muck

I agree with either "Midwest" or "Great Lakes"; IMO the only "Midwestern" state that DOESN'T touch the Great Lakes is Iowa. I once saw Kentucky listed as a "Midwest" state and went :wacko:

midwest and rust belt are the two that first come to mind. historically, the definition of "midwest" has seemed to spread a little westward over the years, to include states like nebraska and kansas. but the real, original "midwest" was basically the great lakes states -- ohio, indiana, michigan, illinois, wisconsin. that is the region ohio is most solidly a part of.

Growing up in Omaha, we've always been told we are part of the Midwest. I have never heard of the Midwest being predicated on touching the Great Lakes. Kind of interesting.

Wikipedia agrees that Nebraska is part of the Midwestern States that are officially recognized by the US Consensus Bureau

The region consists of twelve states in the central and inland northeastern US: Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, Ohio, South Dakota, and Wisconsin.[1]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midwestern_United_States

It even has a map for you Southerners that don't read so gooder.

Growing up in Lincoln, we've always been told we are part of the Midwest. I have never heard of the Midwest being predicated on touching the Great Lakes. Kind of interesting.

+1, other than the bolded fix.

The region consists of twelve states in the central and inland northeastern US: Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, Ohio, South Dakota, and Wisconsin.

This is what I always considered the Midwest.

Growing up in Omaha, we've always been told we are part of the Midwest. I have never heard of the Midwest being predicated on touching the Great Lakes. Kind of interesting.

Wikipedia agrees that Nebraska is part of the Midwestern States that are officially recognized by the US Consensus Bureau

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midwestern_United_States

It even has a map for you Southerners that don't read so gooder.

my point was that the core, original "midwest" was essentially the states of the northwest territory...which was everything west of pennsylvania, north of the ohio river and east of the mississippi.

now, I think you would have to include minnesota, iowa and missouri. I really don't think of the plains states (kansas, nebrasky and the dakotas) as being part of that region, but I suppose opinions vary.

edit to add: from your wikipedia link:

As this region lies mostly in the eastern half of the United States, the term "Midwest" can be misleading if one does not understand American history.

The term West was applied to the region in the early years of the country. In 1789, the Northwest Ordinance was enacted, creating the Northwest Territory, which was bounded by the Great Lakes and the Ohio and Mississippi Rivers. Because the Northwest Territory lay between the East Coast and the then-far-West, the states carved out of it were called the "Northwest". In the early 19th century, anything west of the Mississippi River was considered the West, and the Midwest was the region east of the Mississippi and west of the Appalachians. In time, some users began to include Minnesota, Iowa and Missouri in the Midwest. With the settlement of the western prairie, the new term Great Plains States was used for the row of states from North Dakota to Kansas. Later, these states also came to be considered Midwest by some.

The states of the "old Northwest" are now called the "East North Central States" by the United States Census Bureau and the "Great Lakes" region by some of its inhabitants, whereas the states just west of the Mississippi and the Great Plains states are called the "West North Central States" by the Census Bureau. Today people as far west as the prairie sections of Colorado, Wyoming, and Montana sometimes identify themselves with the term Midwest.[7] Some parts of the Midwest are still referred to as "Northwest" for historical reasons – for example, Minnesota-based Northwest Airlines and Northwestern University in Illinois – so the Northwest region of the country is called the "Pacific Northwest" to make a clear distinction.

Edited by Azazello1313

Hmmmm...

I've always thought that Kansas was in the midwest. :wacko:

Never gave one second of thought to living in the great plains.

This has been a very intersting thread; lots more action than I ever would have imagined.

JMO. I've always felt that Great Lakes/Big Ten states = Midwest. I guess it's the feeling that Midwesterners farm corn, people on the Plains (or from "Big Eight" country) grow wheat.

my point was that the core, original "midwest" was essentially the states of the northwest territory...which was everything west of pennsylvania, north of the ohio river and east of the mississippi.

now, I think you would have to include minnesota, iowa and missouri. I really don't think of the plains states (kansas, nebrasky and the dakotas) as being part of that region, but I suppose opinions vary.

...or essentially, what Az said.

No disrespect to Kansans, Dakotans, or Nebraskans, I just feel that there's a whole different thing going on there.

Hmmmm...

I've always thought that Kansas was in the midwest. :wacko:

well, whether it is or isn't, I was just thinking about the original question....and the more you include states like kansas and nebraska in "the midwest", I think the less accurate it becomes in describing ohio's region. ohio is part of the "old" midwest.

I like chavez' distinction of big 10 territory and big 8 territory. that's pretty much how I view the regional lines as well, though oklahoma is a little more texas/arkansas/northern la. than kansas/nebraska. and colorado is a bit of a crossroads....kinda like 40% big 8, 40% WAC, 20% "southwest".