[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

That just ruined my fall . . .

bpwallace49

So I keep fit, play several sports through my church. Mainly flag football leagues and basketball.

Playing in my highly competitive flag football league on Saturday, I got two fingers caught in a jersey when picking up a blitzer and broke my pinkie finger and ring finger on my left hand. I have broken fingers before playing football (6 times in college) so I know when it happens, and the fact there really isnt anything you can do about it except tape em together.

Later in the game I got tripped and fell on my right shoulder that I previously injured (playing college football again). Later that day, I cant raise my arm. Ice, Advil, nothing is helping. Not that much pain (the fingers hurt more), just the fact that I cant raise my arm, like the muscles just stopped responding. Elbow down, no problem, but Elbow to shoul;der= problem.

Go to the doc today, find out my ring finger is broken, and my pinkie is broken in two places, and "may" be displaced, which is causing my finger to look purple and swollen like a bratwurst. Awesome.

Shoulder "may" have a hairline fracture and there is "considerable cloudiness" in the X-ray which apparently means I may have ruptured some ligaments. It also looks like there is a lot of loose cartilage floating around in there. MRI will be scheduled for later this week.

I guess I am demoted to non-contact sports now. Knew this day would come . . . I just hate having to face the reality . .

Vent over . . . :D:wacko:

So I keep fit, play several sports through my church. Mainly flag football leagues and basketball.

Playing in my highly competitive flag football league on Saturday, I got two fingers caught in a jersey when picking up a blitzer and broke my pinkie finger and ring finger on my left hand. I have broken fingers before playing football (6 times in college) so I know when it happens, and the fact there really isnt anything you can do about it except tape em together.

Later in the game I got tripped and fell on my right shoulder that I previously injured (playing college football again). Later that day, I cant raise my arm. Ice, Advil, nothing is helping. Not that much pain (the fingers hurt more), just the fact that I cant raise my arm, like the muscles just stopped responding. Elbow down, no problem, but Elbow to shoul;der= problem.

Go to the doc today, find out my ring finger is broken, and my pinkie is broken in two places, and "may" be displaced, which is causing my finger to look purple and swollen like a bratwurst. Awesome.

Shoulder "may" have a hairline fracture and there is "considerable cloudiness" in the X-ray which apparently means I may have ruptured some ligaments. It also looks like there is a lot of loose cartilage floating around in there. MRI will be scheduled for later this week.

I guess I am demoted to non-contact sports now. Knew this day would come . . . I just hate having to face the reality . .

Vent over . . . :D:wacko:

You are venting to a guy w/ 2 blown out shoulders (and surgeries), a blown out neck (and surgery), (swelling elbow :D ) and 2 knees ready for partial replacement. All of my stuff happened after 40yo. But sports was the cause of most. Soccer, racket ball, football, wrestling, softball and more. Read Chargerz sig line. FWIW, many sport buds of mine are in the same situation. Another friend never played sports and has no understanding of what we are going thru. :D

Playing competitive sports F's up your body. PERIOD!

Y'know, despite playing football through college, playing basketabll and flag football for a long time, I really didnt have that many "major" injuries.

3rd degree sprain of my ankle with ruptured tendons,

Several concussions

Broken bone in my neck

Separated shoulder

Broken fingers

Broken nose (several times)

Couple of broken ribs

But no major surgeries, major broken bones or torn tendons like ACL. Actually my knees have never given me trouble. Sucks to be injured . ..

Meh - whiny liberal... :wacko:

Just wait youngin'! When you get older your body attacks you. No BS!

Enjoy your youth, but it is short lived! Get ready for a rude awakening.

Getting old sucks! But you better brace yourself.............It's coming!

Read chargerz sig line.

Y'know, despite playing football through college, playing basketabll and flag football for a long time, I really didnt have that many "major" injuries.

3rd degree sprain of my ankle with ruptured tendons,

Several concussions

Broken bone in my neck

Separated shoulder

Broken fingers

Broken nose (several times)

Couple of broken ribs

That could explain some things :wacko:

:D

Final answer . . .

Broken humerus (non-displaced) torn labrum, bicep tendinitis and possible displacement, partially torn rotator cuff (right where I broke my humerus).

Surgery?

Since it is non-displaced, the ortho I saw is letting it try to heal naturally first. I have a gadolinium (sp?) MRI in 3 1/2 weeks to determine what/if I need it scoped.

I'm glad you don't need surgery right away. I thought that the torn labrum and possible displacement of the biceps tendon might require surgery now.

I'm glad you don't need surgery right away. I thought that the torn labrum and possible displacement of the biceps tendon might require surgery now.

B ecause of where the humerus is broken the ortho wants to wait and see if it stabilizes first. It is broken right where the rotator cuff attches to the humerus, so he wants to see how well it heals first before deciding on surgery. My labrum was pretty messed up from previous injuries, so he cant determine if the tear was cumulative or if it just happened now. Again that will be reassessed with the next MRI.

he did say that odds are i need to clean it out anyway, so surgery is very likely. :wacko: